Best Defense in the League?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
    They got older & slower, team youth & team speed are major factors that the Ravens seem to have overlooked recently. It happens to the best of them.
    Not sure where you got "slower" from. The guys that have been replaced (starters) from last years defense are:

Rolle (replaced with Foxworth)
    Scott (replaced with Gooden/Ellerbe/McClain)
    Leonhard (replaced with Landry)
    Bannan (he started due to Gregg's injury, and now Gregg is back)

If anything I would say we've gotten faster. Landry and Leonhard might be a lateral move in terms of speed, but the other three guys we're definitely slower than who they were replaced with. We also only have 3 guys over the age of 30 on defense who start (Lewis, Reed, and Gregg). It's not like we're an old team.

I hate making excuses for players (and ours have had more than their fair share of terrible plays this year), but it's looking like a lot of our defensive problems are coming from the scheme that is being used. We are in no way a 4-3 base team, yet Mattison insists on trying to rush four on most downs. Anybody that has seen us pla can tell you our pass-rush is absolutely terrible. This leads to coverage problems, etc.

FIRE GREG MATTISON!

Comment

RE: Ravens defense:

Not sure where you got "slower" from.
      From the same sports reporters who said the Ravens defense was showing its age every yr for the last, oh, 2-3 seasons. Most players slow down as they get older, that's generally true (sarcasm/facepalm), especially on defense where players have to make lightning-sharp cuts in coverage while running backwards.

I admit I havent seen the Ravens much this yr, but Johnson, Suggs, & Ray Lewis are still there aren't they? And Fabian Washington is as old as Asomugha with whom he played in Oakland. I do know about Jarret Johnson however, b/c I follow former Alabama players in the NFL, he's changed positions to an OLB & he is, per last weekend's highlight films, tearing it up bigtime at his new position, he was a DT in college & played DE for awhile in B-more, so IDK about your criticizing their personnel as unfit for their defensive scheme. Maybe b/c Suggs' sack total has diminished since his awesome rookie yr, well yeah, lol, he got older & slower.

Comment

The Ravens' problem is no more Rex Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
          RE: Ravens defense:
          And Fabian Washington is as old as Asomugha with whom he played in Oakland.
          Fabian Washington is probably the fastest player on that team. Might not be the best person to bring up when talking about a team "slowing" down. I agree with CoordinatorO the problem seems to be transitioning to Mattison and his scheme. The Ravens have been constantly losing players since the super bowl year so I think they are used to that, and Ozzie Newsome usually does a great job of reloading talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Job View Post
            maybe true. And the Steelers missed Polamalu in major ways, not the same defense without him.

In the same division isn't it mind boggling to think the Bengals are the best (stats wise) defense in the NFL?

Comment

Ill throw in the saints,
              1st in interceptions
              1st in defensive TD's

for the rest they still arent that good

/notserious

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
              - Corner or Wideout in the first
              - No reaching
              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Bengals, Broncos, and Jets are three of the top 5. Not sure who the other 2 are right off the top of my head though.

Originally posted by Job View Post
                LMAO. The defense was elite before Sexy Rexy. Their problem is they are either old or untalented. The exceptions get targetted.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Since the start of the Dallas game, the Packers D has been flat out dominant and Woodson has been playing like the clear DPOY. Looking at the entire season I don't know who is the best, but GB has to be at least top 3. At this moment I'd take Green Bay over anybody though.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                    Bengals, Broncos, and Jets are three of the top 5. Not sure who the other 2 are right off the top of my head though.

LMAO. The defense was elite before Sexy Rexy. Their problem is they are either old or untalented. The exceptions get targetted.
                    and sued for 70 million dollar

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                    - Corner or Wideout in the first
                    - No reaching
                    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

on a good day i think the cardinals are one of the best defenses in the nfl

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post

This isnt true at all. Yes, the defense has aged, but alot of the players who were part of the old, dominant Ravens D are still playing at an extremely high level. Ray Lewis is playing as well as any Mike in the league, and Ed Reed has been exceptional when healthy. Just look at the latter part of last season.

Its the change in defensive coordinators that has caused a decline in the Ravens defense. Before Ryan, we had Mike Nolan, who ran a very similar scheme to Ryan. The 3-4 heavy blitz packages that we saw from those two are in stark contrast to the much more tame 4-3 look we are presenting these days. And quite frankly, our corners arent good enough to stick with top tier receivers when our front 4 cant get pressure.
                        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                        The APS is strong in this one.
                        Originally posted by killxswitch
                        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Yes the Ravens D got a little older, but the issue is not one single player in our front freaking 7 is suited 4 this 43 bend dont break bull crap. They can get by off talent alone but if we had Rexys style D you could make a case the D would have been better then last year(its all speculation but w/ the addition of gregg, Johnson improving and our corner backs improving as well)

Comment

I woulda said Cincy if they held down the Vikings. But I got to go with my Jets.
                            Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

dont see how it can be anybody but the jets. 1st in yards and points allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody56 View Post
                                dont see how it can be anybody but the jets. 1st in yards and points allowed.
                                Green Bay is #2 in YPG.
                                #3 in passing YPG.
                                #2 in rushing YPG.
                                29 Sacks.
                                3 Def TD.
                                23 Int.

New York is #1 in YPG.
                                #1 in passing YPG.
                                #11 in rushing YPG.
                                27 Sacks.
                                1 Def TD.
                                15 Int.

I can see how someone can go with anybody but the Jets.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information