No announcement yet.

Best Defense in the League?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you think the Bengals have an 'elite' corner than I'm going to go ahead and say you use the term 'elite' too loosely. To me, there are 3 elite corners in the league right now. None on the Bengals though they have a very good pairing.
    For me elite would entail that you are probably in the top 10 corners. There is certainly a separation right now between Aso, Revis and Woodson from the rest, but both Hall and Joseph are probably in the top 10 which is good enough for elite for me. Elite means the best group, a fair bit better than the average. Given each team these days effectively has 3 corners who will see serious time, thats 96 guys, if you are in the top 10 then in my book thats enough to be elite.

I did not say they had the leagues top corner, I used elite for that reason, though both Hall and Joseph are on that second tier behind the top 3.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
      For me elite would entail that you are probably in the top 10 corners. There is certainly a separation right now between Aso, Revis and Woodson from the rest, but both Hall and Joseph are probably in the top 10 which is good enough for elite for me. Elite means the best group, a fair bit better than the average. Given each team these days effectively has 3 corners who will see serious time, thats 96 guys, if you are in the top 10 then in my book thats enough to be elite.

I did not say they had the leagues top corner, I used elite for that reason, though both Hall and Joseph are on that second tier behind the top 3.
      No, elite is the top 3-5 corners in the game. Actually, in all honesty, there's no set amount of players in that can be considered 'elite' at any point in time, but there's no way there's no way there's 10 elite corners in the game.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
        my bad. i realize now he meant teh ortonz. you literally can't throw against the neckbeard when he gets the jack in him.
        2/3rds of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Orton's neckbeard.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post

No big deal. Guess we have different understandings of the word elite. Elite, right now, describes guys like Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha to me. The tier below them, I consider very very good. Elite is a strong word.

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
            2/3rds of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Orton's neckbeard.
            It takes 2/3rds of the worlds water to wash that beard.

Comment

As great as the Packers D has played at times this year, I don't think they are #1 for the sole reason of who they've done it against. They've played the Bears twice, Rams, Browns, Lions twice, and the Buccs. They also, gave up 38 to those Buccs in a loss, the same team the Jets just held first down less over an entire half.

I know that those are the teams they were given to play so there's not much they can do, but 6 of their 9 wins have come from those lowly opponents. Against the current playoff teams such as the Bengals, Vikings (twice), and the Cowboys they gave up an average of 26.5 points and had a 1-3 record(3 of those were home games).

I would rather take the Bengals, Jets, or Broncos over the Packers D. Not that they aren't good, but I don't think they are #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                It takes 2/3rds of the worlds water to wash that beard.
                You're assuming he even washes it.

Comment

Inside Kyle Orton's unwashed beard, you can find enough food crumbs to feed all of Africa... and enough Jack Daniel's to give them all cirrhosis.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

If I had to pick one Defense to play with so far this year...I'd probably take the Vikings right now. I didn't look at any stats to back that up but I like the way they play.

Comment

Originally posted by msolimani View Post
                      As great as the Packers D has played at times this year, I don't think they are #1 for the sole reason of who they've done it against. They've played the Bears twice, Rams, Browns, Lions twice, and the Buccs. They also, gave up 38 to those Buccs in a loss, the same team the Jets just held first down less over an entire half.

I know that those are the teams they were given to play so there's not much they can do, but 6 of their 9 wins have come from those lowly opponents. Against the current playoff teams such as the Bengals, Vikings (twice), and the Cowboys they gave up an average of 26.5 points and had a 1-3 record(3 of those were home games).

I would rather take the Bengals, Jets, or Broncos over the Packers D. Not that they aren't good, but I don't think they are #1.
                      Like you said, there isn't much we can do about our schedule so even bringing it up is an attempt to use it against us. This isn't college football where we get to pick our out of conference schedule and have cake walks. These teams are set to match up years in advance.

And if we're looking at these two teams against playoff teams then lets. The Jets just so happen to be less impressive against potential playoff teams this year, may be that they've faced more being the wild card situation in the AFC but so be it. They come away with a 1-5 record and give up 24.8 points per game including only 9 to the Patriots in Week 2. This also includes a 3 game losing streak (2 at home) sandwhiched in between wins against the Raiders, Bills (whom they did lose to at home), Panthers, and Bucs. It'd be tough to find a weaker stretch of games aside from the Packers but that's neither here nor there. During that three game losing streak, opponents scored 28.3 against the Jets. Those three games happened to be against Jacksonville, Miami (whom the Jets are 0-2 against this year and allowed 30.5 ppg), and New England. All in the race for a playoff spot.

Originally posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
                      If I had to pick one Defense to play with so far this year...I'd probably take the Vikings right now. I didn't look at any stats to back that up but I like the way they play.
                      Cool story, brah.

Comment

No big deal. Guess we have different understandings of the word elite. Elite, right now, describes guys like Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha to me. The tier below them, I consider very very good. Elite is a strong word.
                        That is probably fair enough, though I think that Joseph is very, very close to those guys. With that distinction made, it is still a very common trend that the top defenses have "elite to very, very good corners" and the two defenses that have fallen the most notably from last year have both had injuries and problems at CB(Vikes & Steelers).

It just seems that with the rule changes the league has made to protect the QB and limit coverage that it has made the elite/very, very good CBs and safeties even more valuable. You can't limit a QB with fear tactics anymore, basically if you don't get sacks you pretty much can't touch them so you have to cover like a mofo to limit and also to help get sacks. A look at the top defenses shows an elite safety, cb or both without fail. The only team in the top 10 in points allowed that doesn't have either is the Colts and their offense is sort of a special factor in ppg defense stats.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information