No announcement yet.

Mike Holmgren

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESPN just said that Mike Holmgren will become the Browns President.

NFL.com is reporting the same thing
    Last edited by Thumper; 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Omg teh shocking news

Comment

I don't really understand the logic of this move, especially the longevity of the deal.

Why, in any sport, would you sign a GM to a TEN YEAR DEAL?!?!?!?!

Holmgren certainly isn't unproven as a GM/President, but he really hasn't done anything spectacular to warrant such a massive deal. I really don't understand the process that the Browns went through with this deal and I don't see them getting any better.

Eric Mangini is as good as gone though.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
          I don't really understand the logic of this move, especially the longevity of the deal.

Holmgren certainly isn't unproven as a GM/President, but he really hasn't done anything spectacular to warrant such a massive deal. I really don't understand the process that the Browns went through with this deal and I don't see them getting any better.

Maybe that was the only way he would sign.

Comment

RT @FauxJohnMadden Tough break for Browns fans.. as Holmgren was signing his new contract he got a papercut and now has a staph infection.

hahahahaha

Comment

the browns are going to sign mike shannahanahan and hes gonna change his name to ike and theyre gonna be known as mike and ike and theyre gonna be the sweetest combo in nfl history and i bet they draft timmy tebow and run the afc north straight into the ground it honestly wouldnt surprise me if the browns were the best team in nfl history oh yeah they need to sign johnny cribbs to a bigger deal too

Comment

LOL Chris Mortensen just said that Holmgren might hire Marty Morninwheg. LOL! He is a decent offensive coordinator but he is a guy who refuses to run the ball and he is a complete moron when he is put in charge of things.

Example A:
                The most notable moment in Mornhinweg's coaching history was his decision, coaching Detroit, to kick after winning an overtime coin toss. Mornhinweg felt that having the wind in his favor was more important for his Lions to win the game against the Chicago Bears, despite having as his kicker Jason Hanson, who hit a then-NCAA record 62-yard field goal in his college days at Washington State University. He elected to kick and on the Bears opening drive, Chicago scored a field goal. Mornhinweg's Lions went on to become 3-13 after that game, and prompted fed-up Lions fans to refer to the coach as "Marty Moron-weg".

Comment

mort throwing crap at a wall and seeing if it sticks. I don't think Mike Holmgren even knows if he's gonna keep Mangini or not, let alone who he might hire to replace him. I would be willing to bet he'd hire an unproven head coach like Josh McDaniels was this past year before he hires Morniwheg.

Originally posted by JFLO View Post

The length of the deal has not been determined yet. espn speculated that it might be 10 years from their "sources" (who more often than not are shady). I definitely think they'll get better b/c can't get worse at this point. How hiring a guy who has went to super bowls at every franchise he's touched won't make us better is beyond me, especially considering he is the team president and not the GM. And I'm not certain Holmgren won't keep Mangini considering he's turning the team around here down the home stretch and Holmgren himself has said he doesn't think it's fair to fire a coach after just one year.

Comment

Personally I think Mangini should leave, he doesn't seem to be a good coach and he doesn't seem personable and passionate. I think he tries to act like Andy Reid, Bill Belichek (even headed, secretive, vague with the media etc.) without having the results that Reid and Belichek have had and it is perceived as arrogance and egotistical.

I think Holmgren should get rid of Mangini and hire coaches that run Holmgren's favorite schemes (West Coast Offense and 4-3 defense).

Comment

That worked for Parcells in Miami immediately....however on the flipside I think it might not be fair to fire a guy after one season, especially when he has the team playing hard and improving towards the end of the season like Mangini has the Browns going right now. Say we beat Oakland and Jacksonville - it would be mighty hard to justify firing a guy who won the final four games of the season. I do see the logic in firing Mangini if Holmgren feels that their philosophies crash or if he doesn't believe in Mangini being successful (if you're gonna fire him, better sooner than later POV).

Comment

I'd sign John Schuerholz (former Braves GM) to a life time deal, given the chance. :D

As for Holmgren, hopefully he can find them a QB. He's always been great with Qbs. He wont be working as closely with them, to mold them, though. But he has an eye for Qb talent at least. The team could use a little bit of everything really. Well a lot, actually. What a mess.
                        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

Comment

Good hiring for the Browns. I hope the McCaskeys were taking notes about hiring a football person to be president of your team. Holmgren will definitely focus on bringing Brady Quinn along. He also finds good talent on the offensive side of the ball. I doubt that Mangini will coexist with Holmgren, so he should be gone. Also, Jim Zorn has a nice QB coaching job waiting for him in Cleveland after this season.

Comment

Unfortunately, Lerner has a track record for hiring the HC and forcing him on his GM. It will be very interesting to see if Holmgrem has the authority to fire Mangini immediately. Considering that Holmgren is a 4-3, WCO guy, Mangini doesn't appear to be his type of HC.
                            Parcells was allowed to bring in his own HC who believed in the same systems as Parcells. Somehow I think Holmgren may find himself in the opposite situation.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                              I'm still unsure of what Holmgren's appeal is as a GM.
                              That makes two of us. Anyone care to fill us in?
                              The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                                That makes two of us. Anyone care to fill us in?
                                The Challenge, I guess. He has said, that he did very carefully pick his last (!) employment in the football world. Cleveland gave him basically the highest possible job in an organisation that needs rebuilding. So he's in for one last challenge as a head of football operations ( Or 'Czar' or VP or whatever).

Also: 50 Million $.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information