Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is getting a first round bye really that important?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Try playing the Patriots in Foxborough in January.
    Ask Peyton Manning how much he likes it. (Or the Raiders )

Honestly, I did an analysis a while back and it clearly showed that weather effects QB production. I should post it here... I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but the importance is that dome teams suck on the roads against "weather" teams.
    **** her in da *****!

Comment

Ive stated in a previous thread of mine, that I feel that it hurts you more than it helps you nowadays.

Im curious to see how this pans out this year. I think it hurts you bc your coordinators are often times being interviewed during the bye week and they don't focus on their gameplan, they focus more on landing another job.

that lack of preparation hurts your team. and it shows on gameday.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        Ive stated in a previous thread of mine, that I feel that it hurts you more than it helps you nowadays.

Im curious to see how this pans out this year. I think it hurts you bc your coordinators are often times being interviewed during the bye week and they don't focus on their gameplan, they focus more on landing another job.

that lack of preparation hurts your team. and it shows on gameday.
        I'm a proponent of the helpful bye week but there's no doubt that this insane practice needs to stop. I remain bitter about Cam Cameron showcasing his offense instead of running LT down the Pats throats in 06. Luckily this year we have no coordinators worth luring away.

Comment

Teams without first round bye 50% win percentage in the first round.

Teams with first round bye 100% win percentage in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
            That's why we really needed San Diego to lose against Cincy...

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
              2008 - 1-3
              2007 - 2-2
              2006 - 2-2
              2005 - 2-2
              2004 - 4-0

Total - 11-9

That's the records of teams with a bye in the first round of the playoffs in the divisional round.

2 out of the last 5 years a team with a first round bye has won the Super Bowl (New England 2004 and Pittsburgh 2008).

So, is it really that important?

(I realize this sounds ironic coming from a Vikings fan whose team is in danger of blowing their chance at a first round bye, lol)
              On average 2 of 4 divisional teams move on. Out of the 8 teams that play on wild-card weekend only 2 of them make it past the divisional round. A 50/50 chance is way better than 25% chance.

The big advantage to a bye isn't having a week of or playing at home, its not having to play a good football team. Thats huge.
              Last edited by Bucs_Rule; 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                Personally I would want the bye week but that is just because I'm an Eagles fan and the Eagles have a great history coming off of bye weeks under Andy Reid (14-0 counting playoffs).
                Too bad you can't get a bye straight into the Super Bowl. Zing.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post

Honestly, I did an analysis a while back and it clearly showed that weather effects QB production. I should post it here... I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but the importance is that dome teams suck on the roads against "weather" teams.
                  With the way things are shaping up this year though, most of the playoff games this season will probably played either in a dome thanks to New Orleans, Minny, Indy, and Arizona, or in likely not bad weather in San Diego.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information