A QB comparison (dome versus field)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
    I don't really get this whole topic. I mean, isn't it common knowledge a QB will play better in a dome (their home dome) and worse on the road in the winter? I'm just saying, if this is about who's a better cold weather QB or somethingm than fine. Maybe I'm missing something. It is kinda late...
    To an extent. It's just interesting if nothing else.

Comment

Now the real question is, who has the advantage in today's league? It seems more than ever, scoring and passing the ball are dominating the game (during the regular season at least. im still a firm believer that defense and the run game dominate the playoffs). So does this shift the competitive advantage over to teams who have a better chance of developing qbs in warm weather/domes?
      I wonder how much of this has to do with the very topic at hand. I mean the weather doesn't really become a factor until December and January, throw in dome teams and all of a sudden you get a quick explanation for why certain passing teams seem to start hot and then fall away as the weather gets worse.

Look at Favre over the last few years, he is a risk taking QB and as the weather has gotten worse he has made more mistakes and not performed nearly as well. Part of it is probably conditioning as he wears down due to not doing training camps to get in shape but part is surely the bad weather.

Dallas are another example, the other teams in the divisions play in fairly hostile conditions, something they don't have at home, division games and the hot cold, as well as their passing based gameplan could certainly go a long way to explaining their Decembers and also perhaps why they were able to so effectively snap out of the funk against another dome/pass happy team.

San Diego are perhaps an anomaly, though historically they have been a power running team with a strong defense, though this year that is not so much the case, though they for the most part play in decent conditions also.

The Ravens, Steelers, Giants and Raiders(comparatively) have been strong finishing teams the last few years, all have been defense and running teams.

Philly seem to be the one true anomaly, in that they are pass heavy, bad weather team that seems to always start slow and finish strong.

How much of the "defense and running the football wins championships" has to do with the weather conditions that come at the right time of the year for those types of teams. It certainly isn't everything, but perhaps goes a way to explaining why a couple of the fair weather/pass happy teams like Indy, Philly, Dallas and Minny(pre AP at least) have struggled over the last decade in the playoffs against other more power run/defense based teams like Pittsburgh, Giants, Patriots and Chargers amongst others.

Perhaps there is substance to go with the style argument?

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information