No announcement yet.

Pete Carroll hired as Seahawks coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face it, he left for the money and the challenge but the money came 1st.
    He'll likely have total control of the organization including the draft which very few HC's have been able to handle. IMO, it is a huge gamble on Seattle's part. Now we'll have to see how it will workout.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

• I don't like the idea of Carroll having any type of say in FO decisions. There have been several veteran NFL coaches that could not handle coaching duties and FO duties when they served in a similar capacity (Shanahan, Holmgren, etc...). Now a college coach, no matter how successful, is going to be given similar duties to a franchise that needs to be rebuilt. This will more than likely not turn out the way the Seahawks would have liked. Remember what happened to successful college coaches Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino? I have a feeling the same thing will happen to Carroll.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

Comment

• Pete Carroll won't ever be a good NFL head coach, his style of coaching and his personality is far more suited to the college level.

Comment

• This isn't a for sure done deal is it?
          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            This isn't a for sure done deal is it?
            It's sounding like as soon as they satisfy the Rooney rule it will be done.
            "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
              Pete Carroll won't ever be a good NFL head coach, his style of coaching and his personality is far more suited to the college level.
              I am in complete agreement with this, especially at a school like USC and area like SoCal. And in complete agreement with D-Unit, USC will move on swiftly without him with the dude from Oregon State or Sarkezian. Seattle is not exactly a hopping spot to go to now.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                All jokes aside, trying to trade for Leinart wouldn't be a bad idea at all especially if Norm Chow joins him like some recent rumors I've read, but the longer people wait to strike a deal the older Warner gets and less sense it makes for AZ.

Doubt they want to try and find another future QB late in the 1st who they would have to develop from scratch again, but the right offer/package could make some sense if Warner plays 2 more seasons.
                Warners new deal runs out after next year and I think it's a pretty big longshot that he would stay on any longer after that. He was seriously considering retirement last year after the Anquan injury.

On Leinart, while I am not sold on him as the QBOTF, I really doubt Arizona would trade him within the division. Put it this way, if Zona likes him there is no way they trade him and if they don't (after several years in the system with the WR talent he has) why would Seattle want him.

Sando from ESPN thinks Pat Kirwan has a good chance to be brought in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...l-gets-the-job

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                  I don't like the idea of Carroll having any type of say in FO decisions. There have been several veteran NFL coaches that could not handle coaching duties and FO duties when they served in a similar capacity (Shanahan, Holmgren, etc...). Now a college coach, no matter how successful, is going to be given similar duties to a franchise that needs to be rebuilt. This will more than likely not turn out the way the Seahawks would have liked. Remember what happened to successful college coaches Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino? I have a feeling the same thing will happen to Carroll.
                  If anything I think he'll be better at the FO decisions rather than actual coaching. At least the first few years. He's got an eye for talent. Just not sure the stlye of which he coaches in Southern Cal will work in the NFL.

Comment

• This is shocking even though all indications were that this is what was going to go down. I just don't get college coaches sometimes. Why would you leave behind such a safe, well-paying, successful job for one that historically people in your situation haven't done so well at? The chances of him getting fired within five years are much higher than they would be at USC, at which point he'll have to do what guys like Steve Spurrier did before him and crawl back to the NCAA. I like Pete Carroll and I think he'll be a good coach (he was okay in New England) but this is a big risk for him and I'm pretty positive I wouldn't have taken it if I were him.

Comment

• A LOT will depend on who his coordinators are. HC wise, Carroll is the man. He knows what triggers to pull and how to handle player personnel. Plus, he's a highly respectable guy who guys won't step all over. I see a very successful future for the Seahawks. Not sure about SB rings... but there's definitely a chance for him to do damage in that division.

Getting Leinart will be tricky. Does AZ really pay Leinart's entire $50.8M? The deal ends in 2012. I have my doubts about that. I think AZ would trade him for draft pick(s). Especially if they have no confidence in him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                        I thought Norm Chow hated Carroll?

Carroll is the Calipari of CFB. So sad the the coaches can get away with so much yet have so little tied to them. Schools get hammered and the coaches move on to other pastures. Plausible deniability.

However, I can't say I feel sorry for USC as the whole AD has been looking the other way and covering up some serious high dollar shenanigans for years. So many other schools when the heat gets high perform internal investigations and then sanction themselves. The NCAA lets that go for the most part. USC however has been taunting them for years. They will not go easy methinks.
                        I doubt that. Carroll was instrumental in getting Chow the Tennessee OC position and he was always openly critical of how Chow kept getting snuffed for HC positions. He wanted Chow to get a good HC position.

As for USC... their roots are DEEP. They will continue to be a college power house. No doubt about it.

Comment

• I have to give it up to Seattle for keeping something this big on the down low basically till it was a done deal.

Comment

• USC recruits can't get assistant coaches on the phone

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, USC's recruits have been trying unsuccessfully to reach the school's assistant coaches.

Other schools already have begun contacting players like receiver Kyle Prater and running back Dillon Baxter, who made a verbal commitment (i.e., a non-commitment) to the Trojans as a freshman and has not considered alternative landing spots.

In this regard, keep in mind that even the players who have played the baseball cap version of the shell game are not bound until they sign a letter of intent in early February. Thus, any players who had planned to go to USC can go elsewhere.

Likewise, USC's new coach will be able to pursue players who have already given verbal commitments to other programs.

Comment

• I like Pete Carroll, but I dont think this ends well for Seattle.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                I like Pete Carroll, but I dont think this ends well for Seattle.
                                I agree! I wonder if he fails at this level and bounces back again! He had USC on autopilot for a long time, and now he is back into this level where it is very tough. No more 5 all american deep at all positions. So, I am curious to see how he adjusts.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information