Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best/worst quarterback in the playoffs the last ten years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Warner.

    He holds the record for most passing yards in a post season (and has the second best total as well)

    Post season passer rating is second all time to Bart Starr and is better than his regular season rating.

    Has the top 3 Superbowl passing yards performances.

    Has never lost a post season game at home (Brady lost his first today).

    Brady gets the credit for having "ice in his veins" but in all three superbowls Warner drove down the field late in the fourth to either tie the game or take the lead.

    Against the Titans - Game tied 16-16 late in the 4th Warner hits Bruce for long touchdown to take the lead.

    Against the Patriots - Pats were up 17-3 at the start of the 4th before two touchdown drives tied it at 17-17.

    Against the Steelers - Cards were down 20-7 at the start of the 4th before two touchdown drives and a safety got them the lead.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Monomach View Post
      Brady was the 2nd best performing QB in 3 of his 4 Super Bowls. It's amazing that he gets all that credit for going 3-1.
      Well that depends on how you judge a quarterback's performance.

      I would argue that Brady outperformed Warner in Super Bowl XXXVI. Warner had more yards and a slightly higher completion percentage, but he was also playing with one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. Warner also threw two picks, one of which was returned for a touchdown. Maybe you like it when your quarterbacks throw for more yards, but I like my quarterbacks to not turn the ball over. Kurt Warner single-handedly lost that game for the Rams. His two interceptions cost the team 10 points (first one was returned 47 yards for a touchdown and the other was returned for 30 yards and immediately put New England into field goal range) and the Rams only lost by three.

      Super Bowl XXXVIII is debatable. Both quarterbacks had three touchdowns and a very similar amount of yards. Brady threw one pick to Delhomme's zero but Delhomme had an atrocious completion percentage (48%). I'm taking Brady here despite the interception. Jake Delhomme's inability to consistently complete passes hurt the Panthers and very likely cost them the game.

      Then moving onto Super Bowl XXXIX. Brady easily outperformed McNabb. More yards per attempt, better completion percentage, 0 interceptions to McNabb's 3. No debating this one.

      Eli out performed Tom in Super Bowl XLII. No debate here.

      I would argue that Brady was the best quarterback in all three of his wins, so let's not act like your statement is something definitive.

      Comment


      • #18
        By the way, I'll take Warner over Brady slightly. I just find some of the reasons why people are trying to discredit Brady laughable.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by P-L View Post
          By the way, I'll take Warner over Brady slightly. I just find some of the reasons why people are trying to discredit Brady laughable.
          I'd never discredit Brady, I just think Warner's post season performances have been more impressive.

          Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by P-L View Post
            Super Bowl XXXVIII is debatable. Both quarterbacks had three touchdowns and a very similar amount of yards. Brady threw one pick to Delhomme's zero but Delhomme had an atrocious completion percentage (48%). I'm taking Brady here despite the interception. Jake Delhomme's inability to consistently complete passes hurt the Panthers and very likely cost them the game.
            Tood Sauerbrun should have been the MVP of that game. He was the only reason the Pats didn't have about 40 field goals in the first half of that game. The entire first half the Panthers were backed up on their goal line and Sauerbrun just bombed punts out of the end-zone. Funny how thats the thing I remember most clearly from that game.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post

              I think my worst is going to have to be Manning, if I'm going with someone with a large body of work. As good as he is he only has 7 playoff wins in his career, 4 of them in the Superbowl season. That means his team has been one and done 6 times in his career, 3 times at home.
              Oh, come on. He's got 4290 yards and 23 tds to 17 ints in this decade's postseasons.

              Obviously, not all of those losses are his fault. He had a few abysmal games, but not enough to be called the worst of the decade. Not even close.

              Hmmmm there is always going to be the Dilfer>Marino argument, and that's easy to dismiss...once.
              How easy is it to dismiss when it's 16 times? The guy played 16 seasons and has zero super bowl wins.

              If we're really to believe that SB wins are a QB statistic in this world, then Dan Marino sucks. Plain and simple. There's no whitewashing 0 for 16 in that world.
              Last edited by Monomach; 01-10-2010, 09:58 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Cool topic.

                From memory Warner's production in the playoffs is better than the regular season. It is also historically good. That for me gives him my vote.

                Brady has basically maintained his regular season level, which is actually quite the achievement in the playoffs.

                Manning has generally played at a lower level.

                This is not based on any statistics, for all I know they could prove the complete opposite, but having watched all 3, that is how I feel on them. McNabb is the other guy in the discussion and may very well be the worst of the decade.

                I only really considered those 4 as they are the only guys with enough games for me to consider. Roethlisberger probably also deserves a mention, but he gets next to no credit for the 1st run. 2nd run he was good.


                Props to BK on the sig!

                Comment


                • #23
                  So Donovan McNabb is worse than Rex Grossman? lolz

                  Edit: I'm not defending McNabb, I wouldn't mind him leaving, but he has had pretty good success in the playoffs overall. The super bowl isn't the only game in the playoffs (though it is the only one that matters)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                    So Donovan McNabb is worse than Rex Grossman? lolz

                    Edit: I'm not defending McNabb, I wouldn't mind him leaving, but he has had pretty good success in the playoffs overall. The super bowl isn't the only game in the playoffs (though it is the only one that matters)
                    If we were judging qbs by the number of balls thrown into the dirt in NFC championship games, then McNabb would top my list.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Basileus777 View Post
                      If we were judging qbs by the number of balls thrown into the dirt in NFC championship games, then McNabb would top my list.
                      Thats because the QBs that play worse don't make it to championship games.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Best - Kurt Warner
                        Worst - Peyton Manning by a mile; seriously, the best QB in history cannot even have a winning record in the post-season? His passer rating is ten points worse in those games than in the regular season, with a TD/INT of 22/17. We all know Rex Grossman sucks, but I expect more from a QB of Manning's caliber.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Quincy Carter = Worst

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            If we were judging qbs by the number of balls thrown into the dirt in NFC championship games, then McNabb would top my list.
                            I can only speak for me, but I only considered the QBs with a solid body of work playoff wise and that basically narrowed it to 4 for me, it's a tossup between McNabb and Manning for the "worst" of that group.


                            Props to BK on the sig!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I consider myself a stat person, so thought I'd do some number crunching. So going back to '99 playoffs (the Rams/Titans Super Bowl), I did some number crunching, to find out the average playoff stats of the following QBs: Brady, Brees, McNabb, Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, & Warner. So, we can look at the stats of each QB, & decide who averages the best game.

                              QB#1 24/37 306yds 2.3TDs 1.5Ints Warner
                              QB#2 23/37 284yds 1.6TDs 1.2Ints Peyton

                              QB#3 18/32 254yds 1.2TDs 1.2Ints Rivers
                              QB#4 21/36 231yds 1.5TDs 1.1Ints McNabb

                              QB#5 22/35 238yds 1.5TDs .75Ints Brady
                              QB#6 26/41 305yds 1.25TDs .66Ints Brees

                              QB#7 17/28 224yds 1.5TDs 1.2Ints Roethlisberger


                              Based on these numbers, I think the I would order them 1, 5, 6, 2, 4, 3, 7, from first to worst. As to not leave people wondering, if you highlight stat lines with your mouse, I identified each stat line off to the side in white.

                              The point I wanted to make when I started this that Peyton's had some pretty great playoff performances. In '03, he had two games in a row, where the Colts didn't punt, and I don't believe had a single turnover. Peyton was a combined 44/56, 681 yds, 8 TDs, 0 picks. Granted those playoffs ended with a poor performance, which everyone seems to remember better. But let's not discount the great games, even in losing efforts he's had.
                              Last edited by falloutboy14; 01-11-2010, 12:43 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by falloutboy14 View Post
                                I consider myself a stat person, so thought I'd do some number crunching. So going back to '99 playoffs (the Rams/Titans Super Bowl), I did some number crunching, to find out the average playoff stats of the following QBs: Brady, Brees, McNabb, Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, & Warner. So, we can look at the stats of each QB, & decide who averages the best game.

                                QB#1 24/37 306yds 2.3TDs 1.5Ints Warner
                                QB#2 23/37 284yds 1.6TDs 1.2Ints Peyton

                                QB#3 18/32 254yds 1.2TDs 1.2Ints Rivers
                                QB#4 21/36 231yds 1.5TDs 1.1Ints McNabb

                                QB#5 22/35 238yds 1.5TDs .75Ints Brady
                                QB#6 26/41 305yds 1.25TDs .66Ints Brees

                                QB#7 17/28 224yds 1.5TDs 1.2Ints Roethlisberger


                                Based on these numbers, I think the I would order them 1, 5, 2, 4, 3, 7, from first to worst. As to not leave people wondering, if you highlight stat lines with your mouse, I identified each stat line off to the side in white.

                                The point I wanted to make when I started this that Peyton's had some pretty great playoff performances. In '03, he had two games in a row, where the Colts didn't punt, and I don't believe had a single turnover. Peyton was a combined 44/56, 681 yds, 8 TDs, 0 picks. Granted those playoffs ended with a poor performance, which everyone seems to remember better. But let's not discount the great games, even in losing efforts he's had.
                                This is how you get rep.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information