Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I wonder if Peyton Manning would be on pace to break all these records if the NFL didn't call pass interference every time a defensive back breathed too hard on a receiver. The amount of rules favoring the passing game in today's game is ridiculous. I understand why the NFL has implemented them, but I disagree with most of them.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by P-L View Post
      I wonder if Peyton Manning would be on pace to break all these records if the NFL didn't call pass interference every time a defensive back breathed too hard on a receiver. The amount of rules favoring the passing game in today's game is ridiculous. I understand why the NFL has implemented them, but I disagree with most of them.
      imagine Jerry Rice's numbers if he had those rules in his favor

      Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

      Comment


      • #63
        The real question is whether Marino or Manning is uglier. Discuss...


        Props to BK on the sig!

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Brent View Post
          imagine Jerry Rice's numbers if he had those rules in his favor
          Rice, I believe, was the perfect blend of talent and opportunity. I'd say it would be hard to argue that he could be so much greater than his already rather high numbers. That is because while the rules may be in his favor, it would be difficult to keep the team he was on together. Salary cap would do wonders to that roster. If the run D sucked he might not have been on the field as much. If they couldn't afford a great line, maybe a few key players get hurt. Lotsa if's i'd say. I like to keep sport generational play separate because of that reason, but it is very interesting to argue is it not? The possibilities are endless.


          sig by bosanac01

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
            How quickly people forget the rules changes that have made passing so much easier in the current game.

            Joe Montana is in my top 3 QBs of all time with Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas
            Passing has been made easier in many ways yes, but it has also been made very difficult too. The advent of blitzing schemes and athletic players, the adjustments by coaching staffs, it's really crazy to think about. Peyton is special because he meets the problems he has faced head on, and he has conquered them.

            I will add that this was very much like qbs did earlier and that there is nothing wrong with thinking those 2 aren't perhaps the best two.


            sig by bosanac01

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Brent View Post
              imagine Jerry Rice's numbers if he had those rules in his favor
              In the same vein, imagine Jerry Rice's numbers if he had entered the league 15 years after the advent of the west coast offense instead of at the very beginning, when no one had any idea how to defend it.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                In the same vein, imagine Jerry Rice's numbers if he had entered the league 15 years after the advent of the west coast offense instead of at the very beginning, when no one had any idea how to defend it.
                People knew how to defend the WCO in the 80s, the problem was few teams had the personnel to do it consistently against a team that had a QB like Montana and WRs like Rice/Taylor.

                Against a quick set, short, controlled passing team, you either blitz the hell out of them, or drop 6-7 DBs into coverage.

                I love Peyton Manning, but he just isn't the same QB as a Montana in the playoffs.

                Based on his abilities alone, the Colts should be heavily favored to make it to the SB. But I would suspect most football fans see the Colts as one of many possible contenders for the Lombardi, not the odds on favorite.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                  People knew how to defend the WCO in the 80s, the problem was few teams had the personnel to do it consistently against a team that had a QB like Montana and WRs like Rice/Taylor.

                  Against a quick set, short, controlled passing team, you either blitz the hell out of them, or drop 6-7 DBs into coverage.
                  Except that both those solutions were pretty unsatisfactory so long as the team you were playing had a running game and a quarterback who had a quick release.

                  People mostly had no idea how to effectively maintain a defense against a WCO when Bill Walsh first started with San Francisco. Only once Dick LeBeau brought about the modern popularization of the zone blitz did a real solution to a pure WCO start to show.

                  Based on his abilities alone, the Colts should be heavily favored to make it to the SB. But I would suspect most football fans see the Colts as one of many possible contenders for the Lombardi, not the odds on favorite.
                  Possibly because Indianapolis has the most injured players of any team in the playoffs right now by quite a bit.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    That and the onset of free agency has gotten rid of the super stacked teams of the 80's. Which makes what Brady and Manning has done even more exceptional.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X

                    Debug Information