Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Woodson Wins Defensive Player of the Year!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get why people feel the need to say 'stop bitching'. It's a freaking discussion board! I haven't seen any personal attacks throughout the thread (from what I've read), although a few one-on-one battles where someone gets called out for what they post. Fair game.

To summarize, I'm yet to see anyone say that either player was not worthy of winning the award. However, I have seen the odd 'it shouldn't have been close', which by all accounts that person deserves to be ganged up on - they are idiots. It could have gone either way, but Revis got the US Today award, while Woodson got the more important AP award.

For those who have stated 'Revis is young and will get this award in the future', that is hardly the truth. A season like Revis had will be difficult to duplicate, given all the factors (#1 defense, the consistent caliber of WR#1 he kept under 35 yards, league leader in PDs, etc.). These things are hard to duplicate. It's like saying Fletcher played unreal this season, but in the next 10 seasons he'll make it because he's good. Never happened. Nothing is a gaurantee and this could be his best/only shot. I think this is the prime example of how difficult it is to get this award being a True Cover Corner.

I stated earlier, but again will say, it is amazing to consider what a cover corner would have to do to win the award. Unless you have an elite level of coverage that is rarely seen, have balls thrown at you so you can get stats, not be beaten for big plays at all throughout the season (for Revis purposes I'll admit the Ginn TD, don't jump on me), and hope other defensive players don't have a season with big stat numbers. Realistically you also have to hope you have a good team around you to have a highly touted defense and victories to boot (Revis was better this season than Nnamdi was past years, but Nnamdi didn't get nearly the attention he deserved for his performance based on the team around him).

Sad to know that greatness can actually go unnoticed (not saying Revis is/was one of the greats this season, rather that in general an elite corner who doesn't get the stats and simply shuts down his opponent can have many factors come into play that reduce the acknowledgment of their accomplishments).

EDIT: Fixed/updated the awards reference identified by tjsunstein below.
    Last edited by The Great Jonathan Vilma; 01-15-2010, 02:38 PM.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
      I don't get why people feel the need to say 'stop bitching'. It's a freaking discussion board! I haven't seen any personal attacks throughout the thread (from what I've read), although a few one-on-one battles where someone gets called out for what they post. Fair game.

To summarize, I'm yet to see anyone say that either player was not worthy of winning the award. However, I have seen the odd 'it shouldn't have been close', which by all accounts that person deserves to be ganged up on - they are idiots. It could have gone either way, but Revis got AP, Woodson got the more important one.

For those who have stated 'Revis is young and will get this award in the future', that is hardly the truth. A season like Revis had will be difficult to duplicate, given all the factors (#1 defense, the consistent caliber of WR#1 he kept under 35 yards, league leader in PDs, etc.). These things are hard to duplicate. It's like saying Fletcher played unreal this season, but in the next 10 seasons he'll make it because he's good. Never happened. Nothing is a gaurantee and this could be his best/only shot. I think this is the prime example of how difficult it is to get this award being a True Cover Corner.

I stated earlier, but again will say, it is amazing to consider what a cover corner would have to do to win the award. Unless you have an elite level of coverage that is rarely seen, have balls thrown at you so you can get stats, not be beaten for big plays at all throughout the season (for Revis purposes I'll admit the Ginn TD, don't jump on me), and hope other defensive players don't have a season with big stat numbers. Realistically you also have to hope you have a good team around you to have a highly touted defense and victories to boot (Revis was better this season than Nnamdi was past years, but Nnamdi didn't get nearly the attention he deserved for his performance based on the team around him).

Sad to know that greatness can actually go unnoticed (not saying Revis is/was one of the greats this season, rather that in general an elite corner who doesn't get the stats and simply shuts down his opponent can have many factors come into play that reduce the acknowledgment of their accomplishments).
      tjsunstein likes this.

I have just one gripe with this post, though. Revis won the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year award and Woodson won the AP one. The AP is the more important one. Other than that, I agree with this post for the most part.

I don't think that Woodson should have been far and away the Defensive Player of the Year because anyone that watched Revis this year knows the kind of impact he had. It's the stats that Woodson accumulated this year that made him the more sexy pick. I won't repost them, if you don't know what they are then do some research.

What each player did this year is just as rare as the other. I wouldn't have been opposed to a split even with my Packer bias (which I don't think is that strong in comparison).

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
        tjsunstein likes this.

I have just one gripe with this post, though. Revis won the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year award and Woodson won the AP one. The AP is the more important one. Other than that, I agree with this post for the most part.

I don't think that Woodson should have been far and away the Defensive Player of the Year because anyone that watched Revis this year knows the kind of impact he had. It's the stats that Woodson accumulated this year that made him the more sexy pick. I won't repost them, if you don't know what they are then do some research.

What each player did this year is just as rare as the other. I wouldn't have been opposed to a split even with my Packer bias (which I don't think is that strong in comparison).

My mistake on the awards each won. Got them mixed up and didn't feel like checking.

Like I said, not taking away from what Woodson did, his play made the Packers D what it was (tops in takeaways?) and he made his share of big plays. Obviously I didn't watch as many Packers games as Jets games, so my take can't be 100%. However, I will say that based on the fact that I watched every Jets game this season and that Revis didn't win, I think that says a lot about how Woodson played this season. Certainly can't just look at the stats, and I don't have the footage to see behind them, but based on the stats alone he had a season that is hard to compare to.

No gripes here, although everyone knows where my heart goes on this one...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information