Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Woodson Wins Defensive Player of the Year!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Revis is still very young...he'll get his, no doubt in my mind about that

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
      What more did Revis need to do?
      If not for Woodson's body of work I think Revis would've won it. He had a very special year as a shutdown corner, but sometimes with these awards they turn into a lifetime achievement award.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
        What more did Revis need to do?
        Go Tonya Harding on CWood's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          Good, now we don't have to hear Packers fans go crazy over this, thank God.
          No, now its just everyone else instead :/

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
            But Im really glad Woodson won this. He was absolutely amazing this year. He covered extremely well, he blitzed well, he was a ballhawk, he made plays with the ball in his hands, and he was fantastic against the run. He was amazing in every part of the game. I hope he's got another couple years of that left in him.
            I feel like he definitely has a few years in him left at a high level, + we already knows he's a beastly FS.

Comment

Well deserved, and I'm very glad he won this. What an incredible year!

Originally posted by wicket View Post
              so the third best corner in the league wins the defensive mvp, dont get it
              Originally posted by prock View Post
              amen! i love you. about time someone besides me expresses their disdain for this.
              Originally posted by P-L View Post
              Woodson had the best all-around season for a corner in years. He was a top three corner in coverage, far and away the best against the run, best blitzing corner (2 sacks, 2 hits, 6 pressures), and picked off 9 passes (3 returned for touchdowns). Only five corners who were on the field for more than 950 plays were thrown at less and no player who played 950 defensive snaps allowed less receptions than Woodson. EDIT: Except Nnamdi Asomugha.

Revis was the best pure cover corner this season, but Woodson was the best all-around corner back and it wasn't that close.
              Exactly. The award is given to the "league's most outstanding defensive player" which leaves room for awarding it to a guy who had a stellar all around year, rather than simply the best "shut-down" CB, or LB with the most tackles, etc.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                If not for Woodson's body of work I think Revis would've won it. He had a very special year as a shutdown corner, but sometimes with these awards they turn into a lifetime achievement award.
                I really don't think this was a lifetime achievement award, if anythign there is kind of some disdain for Woodson after he disappeared in Oakland for years. He had the most outstanding defensive season. It was close but Woodson definitely stood out as #1, at least in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                  I really don't think this was a lifetime achievement award, if anythign there is kind of some disdain for Woodson after he disappeared in Oakland for years. He had the most outstanding defensive season. It was close but Woodson definitely stood out as #1, at least in my book.
                  I think there's an argument for either, though I would've chosen Revis. If Woodson had had the season he did but was drafted in Revis' class, I think Revis would've gotten it. IMO without Revis the Jets can't run the defense they do, and they're not the #1 defense in multiple or maybe any category. The other 10 players are so much more free with Revis shutting down the opposition's #1 weapon.

But, like I said, I think you can make a good case for either of them. I am happy for Woodson. It's rare for two DBs to have that kind of season at the same time, especially with the way the NFL is bolstering the passing game. Imagine if Sharper hadn't gotten hurt, it would've really made things interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                    I will say that watching the Colts-Jets game, it looked to me like Wayne was really getting great separation on Revis, but Manning overthrew him a bunch of times. Also Wayne only played a half, so I don't really agree with his name being up there as a WR Revis shut down.
                    Well, if we are going based on non-catches and yards then I guess Wayne did fine in the game....fact is Wayne had no impact on the game. Take that how you wish.

What is this 'long overdue' stuff as it relates to Charles Woodson? I read it more than once on the first page (only page I looked through) and take that as he should have won this award before. What else could it mean? I don't get those statements at all.....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                      Exactly. The award is given to the "league's most outstanding defensive player" which leaves room for awarding it to a guy who had a stellar all around year, rather than simply the best "shut-down" CB, or LB with the most tackles, etc.
                      What defines 'the league's most oustanding defensive player'? Is it having the all-around numbers? Is it having one of the best year's a players had at the position? Depends on how you define and look at it. Woodson had a great season, so I won't argue with it. However, I don't buy any of the 'and its not even close' crap. You use players where they provide the most value to your team. Revis is a superior cover corner, and had a season rarely seen in the NFL in that regard. Using him in other means doesn't make sense 'just to pad the all-around stats'. His impact was just as large to the Jets, who had a solid defense in their own right.

I agree that Woodson was deserving, and i'm not arguing that Revis deserved it more so than Woodson, but I certainly don't get some of the comments being put out. Woodson had some games that were unbelievable and simply made plays in many facets. Let's not simply disgard what Revis did because he didn't win the award, as he had one of the better seasons a CB could possibly have. If Woodson didn't have such a great season with all the numbers he did, Revis would have been a shoe-in. If he still wouldn't have won, then it simply shows how the designation of the award is flawed.

Congratulations to Woodson on a deserving win. Not overdue, but deserving based on the season he had. Hopefully Revis can use the many seasons ahead of him to put together comparable seasons and win the award in the future.

You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                        I don't think many people blame someone for slacking off and underachieving in Oakland anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                          What defines 'the league's most oustanding defensive player'? Is it having the all-around numbers? Is it having one of the best year's a players had at the position? Depends on how you define and look at it. Woodson had a great season, so I won't argue with it. However, I don't buy any of the 'and its not even close' crap. You use players where they provide the most value to your team. Revis is a superior cover corner, and had a season rarely seen in the NFL in that regard. Using him in other means doesn't make sense 'just to pad the all-around stats'. His impact was just as large to the Jets, who had a solid defense in their own right.

I agree that Woodson was deserving, and i'm not arguing that Revis deserved it more so than Woodson, but I certainly don't get some of the comments being put out. Woodson had some games that were unbelievable and simply made plays in many facets. Let's not simply disgard what Revis did because he didn't win the award, as he had one of the better seasons a CB could possibly have. If Woodson didn't have such a great season with all the numbers he did, Revis would have been a shoe-in. If he still wouldn't have won, then it simply shows how the designation of the award is flawed.

Congratulations to Woodson on a deserving win. Not overdue, but deserving based on the season he had. Hopefully Revis can use the many seasons ahead of him to put together comparable seasons and win the award in the future.
                          I completely agree with you and thought I was making the same point. Revis was definitely deserving of his votes but I think the right guy won.

Saying Revis was the best corner in the league is relative and subjective, ergo the "so the 3rd best CB in the league won" post was inaccurate. Which is the reason I qouted it and responded the way I did. So I'm not quite sure why you qouted me, but I'll assume it's because I didn't make my point clear enough.

Comment

I think Revis shouldve won it. He was by far the best CB in the league this year.

Having that said, I don't mind Woodson winning it. This was his one chance to get one, and he did. Congrats. He gets it over Revis bc of seniority in my eyes. But if we went strictly by performance, Revis got jobbed.

To be fair, Woodson was easily the 2nd most deserving of this award.

Now it begs the question, is Woodson a HOFer?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                              I completely agree with you and thought I was making the same point. Revis was definitely deserving of his votes but I think the right guy won.

Saying Revis was the best corner in the league is relative and subjective, ergo the "so the 3rd best CB in the league won" post was inaccurate. Which is the reason I qouted it and responded the way I did. So I'm not quite sure why you qouted me, but I'll assume it's because I didn't make my point clear enough.
                              We are on the same page. Although I wasn't 100% certain which direction you were going, I certainly didn't take it as we had differing opinions. Consider it that I was building off of what you said to elaborate further.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                                We are on the same page. Although I wasn't 100% certain which direction you were going, I certainly didn't take it as we had differing opinions. Consider it that I was building off of what you said to elaborate further.
                                Got it. Considering it as mentioned above. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information