Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Woodson Wins Defensive Player of the Year!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deserved. I just wonder why Champ Bailey never won this award even after balling at an all time level in 2005 & 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      I think Revis shouldve won it. He was by far the best CB in the league this year.

Having that said, I don't mind Woodson winning it. This was his one chance to get one, and he did. Congrats. He gets it over Revis bc of seniority in my eyes. But if we went strictly by performance, Revis got jobbed.

To be fair, Woodson was easily the 2nd most deserving of this award.

Now it begs the question, is Woodson a HOFer?
      Similar to what I was trying to get to. If Revis doesn't win the award this year it pretty much identifies that an elite elite cover corner who does his job to the highest levels it can be done cannot win the award, assuming that another player excels during the season.

In your opinions, would Revis have won the award above previous season's award winners? Was his coverage and performance this season superior to the sack totals of previous years winners? Where does a coverage CBs abilities rank in the scale of things? Elite pass rushing vs elite coverage ability? What takes priority?

All interesting questions in my mind, although again I believe I have swayed off topic....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
      You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
        antoine winfield begs to differ.
        Wasn't Antoine Winfield injured all year? Either way, Charles Woodson is better against the run.

And actually, if it wasn't for Woodson in the wild card game the Packers probably wouldn't have had a chance to win. Without the forced fumble in Packer territory the Cardinals more than likely would have went up 24-0 before halftime, which would have been ridiculous to overcome. Instead the Packers get the ball, go down, and make the score 17-7. And the pass defense he had in the second half on third down to force the Cardinals to punt gave the Packers the ONE Cardinal punt of the second half.

Our defense played like absolute **** during that game, but Woodson still had an impact, despite the lenience of the refs.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
          Similar to what I was trying to get to. If Revis doesn't win the award this year it pretty much identifies that an elite elite cover corner who does his job to the highest levels it can be done cannot win the award, assuming that another player excels during the season.

In your opinions, would Revis have won the award above previous season's award winners? Was his coverage and performance this season superior to the sack totals of previous years winners? Where does a coverage CBs abilities rank in the scale of things? Elite pass rushing vs elite coverage ability? What takes priority?

All interesting questions in my mind, although again I believe I have swayed off topic....
          In my eyes, Revis has put together the best season Ive seen from a CB in years...

I would give it to him last year over Harrison, sure. The thing is, moving forward, i think the press has no choice but to give more consideration to CBs. As the league is starting to be dominated by elite WRs, having a CB who does what Revis does (which we honestly haven't seen since the early 2000s at best) is absolutely amazing. Especially with today's rules.

As a guy who loves the position, I can't help but marvel at how good Revis is. He's the best. The best ive seen in a long time.

Id probably take Revis over a lot of front 7 superstars in this league. I mean that. Finding a guy who does what Revis does is ALOT harder than finding a guy who rushes the passer.

The guy never bites on a double move, never gives an inch of separation away, doesn't even need to be a bully against WRs, he's simply amazing. Thats the only word I can use to describe Revis. He's amazing.

And make no mistake, Revis could do everything Woodson did. He can blitz, sack, force fumbles etc. But the real question is...why?

Why not just put him 1 on 1 on an island against the best weapon on the other team and have him take that guy away on every snap of the game? Thats how nice Revis is.

And having a guy like that in today's game makes scheming for offenses that much easier. I can't say enough positive things about Revis.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Now it begs the question, is Woodson a HOFer?
            If he is, it better not be before Ty Law. Woodson has some years left to build his candidacy, definitely could get there. This award helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
              If he is, it better not be before Ty Law. Woodson has some years left to build his candidacy, definitely could get there. This award helps a lot.
              Well, fine. We'll just going to have to go ahead and put both former Wolverines in there! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                Well, fine. We'll just going to have to go ahead and put both former Wolverines in there! :D
                I knew that much Michigan in one post was going to be like a Sniper signal in the sky :D

Comment

Originally posted by Boston View Post
                  Wasn't Antoine Winfield injured all year? Either way, Charles Woodson is better against the run.

And actually, if it wasn't for Woodson in the wild card game the Packers probably wouldn't have had a chance to win. Without the forced fumble in Packer territory the Cardinals more than likely would have went up 24-0 before halftime, which would have been ridiculous to overcome. Instead the Packers get the ball, go down, and make the score 17-7. And the pass defense he had in the second half on third down to force the Cardinals to punt gave the Packers the ONE Cardinal punt of the second half.

Our defense played like absolute **** during that game, but Woodson still had an impact, despite the lenience of the refs.
                  winfield was injured a good chunk of the year, but i disagree that woodsen is better against the run. and no offense, but i think it is funny to give any credit what so ever to anyone on either defense in the wild card game. and you cite that he had one good play pass defense, so i dont really see the point you are making, but whatever. i dont agree with the award because i think revis was more deserving, but whatever, woodsen had a hell of a year. there have been worse choices, thats for sure, i am not too upset.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                  Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

winfield was injured a good chunk of the year, but i disagree that woodsen is better against the run. and no offense, but i think it is funny to give any credit what so ever to anyone on either defense in the wild card game. and you cite that he had one good play pass defense, so i dont really see the point you are making, but whatever. i dont agree with the award because i think revis was more deserving, but whatever, woodsen had a hell of a year. there have been worse choices, thats for sure, i am not too upset.
                    Meh, all I was saying was that the Cardinals offense gave the ball back to the Packers twice, once on a turnover and once on a punt, and they were both because of Charles Woodson.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Boston View Post
                      Meh, all I was saying was that the Cardinals offense gave the ball back to the Packers twice, once on a turnover and once on a punt, and they were both because of Charles Woodson.
                      ok thats legit, i was just pointing out the irony of praising a corner for playing good pass defense on one play and giving up 51 points haha.

Bonekrusher.

Comment

ok thats legit, i was just pointing out the irony of praising a corner for playing good pass defense on one play and giving up 51 points haha.
                        I'll point out the stupidity in seeing 51 points and blaming one player for it. Say Woodson and Fitzgerald had gone head-to-head every play and Fitzgerald had been shut out, yet the Cardinals had still scored 51 points. Would you be blaming Woodson?

Also, hard to blame Woodson for the OT TD, but with the way your logic is working, I suppose it's not too far-fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                          I'll point out the stupidity in seeing 51 points and blaming one player for it. Say Woodson and Fitzgerald had gone head-to-head every play and Fitzgerald had been shut out, yet the Cardinals had still scored 51 points. Would you be blaming Woodson?

Also, hard to blame Woodson for the OT TD, but with the way your logic is working, I suppose it's not too far-fetched.
                          im not blaming one player for giving up 51 points, so you interpreted that completely wrong, sir. i am just pointing out the irony of saying a defender had a great game when his units gave up 51 points. jesus christ.

Bonekrusher.

Comment

i am just pointing out the irony of saying a defender had a great game when his units gave up 51 points. jesus christ.
                            sniper just pointed out your mistake, yet you still say the GB defense gave up 51 points.....
                            I'm a state.

Comment

im not blaming one player for giving up 51 points, so you interpreted that completely wrong, sir. i am just pointing out the irony of saying a defender had a great game when his units gave up 51 points. jesus christ.
                              He stole a pass from Fitzgerald the week before and returned it for his 3rd defensive TD of the year...Voting was done before the playoffs, so it's a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
                                He stole a pass from Fitzgerald the week before and returned it for his 3rd defensive TD of the year...
                                Matt Leinart threw it

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information