Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remaining 8 playoff teams cannot sign UFAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remaining 8 playoff teams cannot sign UFAs

    This was brought to my attention by DMWSackMachine in the Cowboys forum. Do any of you have any details about that? Does it extend to RFAs?

  • #2
    Not really accurate.

    They can re-sign any of their own UFAs. They can sign any players that have been released.

    The top 4 teams can sign a UFA from another team only if they lose one of their own.

    The 4 teams that lose this weekend can sign other teams' UFAs with some restrictions as far as what kind of salary they get (so basically, only bad UFAs unless they lose one of their own).

    RFAs are unaffected.
    Last edited by Monomach; 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is getting too complicated.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Monomach View Post
        Not really accurate.

        They can re-sign any of their own UFAs. They can sign any players that have been released.

        The top 4 teams can sign a UFA from another team only if they lose one of their own.

        The 4 teams that lose this weekend can sign other teams' UFAs with some restrictions as far as what kind of salary they get (so basically, only bad UFAs unless they lose one of their own).

        RFAs are unaffected.
        So, basically the last four teams are going to go into the 2010 preseason with 53 players + whoever they draft?

        Comment


        • #5
          Only the beginning of this garbage. It's my understanding that the top 8 teams can only sign 1 UFA for every free agent they lose.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Crickett View Post
            So, basically the last four teams are going to go into the 2010 preseason with 53 players + whoever they draft?
            Well... their draft picks have to be included in the 53... so they'll have to let some guys go.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Well... their draft picks have to be included in the 53... so they'll have to let some guys go.
              Before the preseason starts???

              Comment


              • #8
                Think of how many players on the end of your roster will be UFA; even with the new 6 year rules. It won't effect you all that much.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                  Only the beginning of this garbage. It's my understanding that the top 8 teams can only sign 1 UFA for every free agent they lose.
                  What is the definition of "losing" an UFA?

                  If the team chooses not to sign him, is that the same as losing? Or does the UFA have to be signed by another team to qualify?

                  Does it matter on how good the UFA is? ie. If Dallas loses say.. Junior Siavii to the Colts. Can Dallas then sign Casey Hampton?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                    Before the preseason starts???
                    No, but definitely by the start of the new season.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      What is the definition of "losing" an UFA?

                      If the team chooses not to sign him, is that the same as losing? Or does the UFA have to be signed by another team to qualify?

                      Does it matter on how good the UFA is? ie. If Dallas loses say.. Junior Siavii to the Colts. Can Dallas then sign Casey Hampton?
                      I believe losing just means not retained, it doesn't matter if they're resigned elsewhere. Player quality definitely won't be a factor. It's not a huge impediment really. It's basically there to prevent Snyder from signing everybody.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Alright... starting to get some clarification on the subject.... I was shocked at first.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          this CBA ******** is ******* stupid. goddamnit.

                          Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            Does it matter on how good the UFA is? ie. If Dallas loses say.. Junior Siavii to the Colts. Can Dallas then sign Casey Hampton?
                            Now thats just crazy talk.

                            No body wants Junior Siavii.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A little something I found...

                              What is the Final Eight Plan? Here's the official explanation from the NFL:

                              "During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the divisional playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. For the four clubs that lose in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters."

                              For those that think the uncapped year will lead Jerry Jones down a path the New York Yankees take in baseball, think again.


                              "During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the divisional playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. For the four clubs that lose in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters."


                              http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...-be-muddl.html
                              Last edited by D-Unit; 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information