Remaining 8 playoff teams cannot sign UFAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falloutboy14 View Post
    I think the players that are in their 4th or 5th year and would be a free agent this year have to be screaming for a CBA to be signed. Look at Vincent Jackson, with no CBA, he'll be tendered by the Chargers for about $2.5-3M this year. Instead of getting a 5-yr $30 million dollar contract, he'll get half of that yearly amount, with zero long-term security. You hear players call the franchise tag a slap in the face, this is a franchise tag at one-third the salary.
    Yup. I'm not quite sure how the NFLPA saw this CBA opt-out deal as their best option. Sadly, the whole thing screams 2011 lockout. I guess maybe they knew there was no way to change the owners' minds short of forcing them to see how bad their revenues would be with no players at all.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

So wait . . .
      Originally posted by Falloutboy
      "(i) One such player for a Player Contract that has a first year Salary of $4,925,000 or more; and
      (ii) Any number of such players for a Player Contract that has a first year Salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, not including any amount attributed to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to this Subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.
      This section describes the rules for teams 5-8 (teams that lose this weekend). They have all of the same rules as above, but with 2 additions. (i) Those 4 teams are able to sign 1 player with a contract essentially above $5M in the 1st year of the contract. (ii)As well as any number of players at a max of $3.275M. It also mentions what I've heard called the 30% rule. This rule states that players under rule (ii) cannot have a salary increase of more then 30% from one year to the next. This prevents teams of signing Julius Peppers to a $3M contract for the 1st year, then $30M for the 2nd year."
      Does that "one player above ~$5M in year one" mean all of these final 8 teams could actively pursue a guy like Peppers at any contract?

Also, have you (or anybody else) seen any mention of restrictions on negotiating with a player while waiting to see where FAs land? Specifically, if the Ravens want Peppers but can't sign him until they see where there departed FAs sign can they still negotiate with him and hope they open up enough $$$ to then sign him?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
        Does that "one player above ~$5M in year one" mean all of these final 8 teams could actively pursue a guy like Peppers at any contract?
        Teams 1-4 (Colts, Jets, Vikes, Saints) can sign:
        Any player to a contract below $3M in the 1st year.

Teams 5-8 (Cards, Cowboys, Chargers, & Ravens) can sign:
        The above & any 1 player above $5M in the 1st year.

This of course does not include any potential signings to match players lost to free agency.

Comment

Ok, thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by boknows34 View Post
            That's the way I understand it too. So if lets say Reggie Bush, who is due to earn $8 million next season, gets released by the Saints any team is free to sign him without restrictions.
            Just thought I'd bump this thread up as there was confusion if my above statement was true or not. Looks like it was correct.

According to Steve Wyche at nfl.com, players released from their contracts will not count as unrestricted free agents. Its only players whose contracts expired after the 2009 season who are considered UFAs.

I used Bush as an example above but lets say it will be Joey Porter and LaDainian Tomlinson, who are under contract and certain to get released after March 5th. Once they are cut they are free to sign for any team, including the Top 8 teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Question 1 is pretty much standard knowledge by most serious football fans with an interest in the CBA but it sets up nicely to Q2 and Q3.

Q1: Will Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers be in play for the Saints or Vikings?
            A: That is a major long shot. In a new rule that will try to keep the rich from getting richer, the teams that finished in the top four (New Orleans, Indianapolis, Minnesota, and the NY.Jets) can't sign a free agent until one of their free agents signs with another team. They can only sign one free agent per player lost. Making things even more difficult, the Saints, Colts, Vikings and Jets couldn't sign a free agent to a first-year salary greater than that of the free agent they lost signs with his new team.

Peppers could command a salary that starts well into the double-digits of millions of dollars. If none of the top four teams' lost free agents signs for similar loot, then they're out of the process.

Q2. Couldn't one of those top four teams cut a player to create that void to sign somebody else?
            A: No. A cut player will not be considered an unrestricted free agent. This rule applies to all teams who finished in the top eight (enter San Diego, Dallas, Arizona and Baltimore). Only a player with an expiring contract counts as an unrestricted free agent for those top eight teams.

*Q3. So if the Chargers were to release Tomlinson, they couldn't re-sign a free agent in his spot?
            A: No, because San Diego is a top eight team. Tomlinson would not qualify as an unrestricted free agent for the Chargers. He would be free to sign with any team, though. Whether he draws as much attention as free-agent running backs Chester Taylor (Minnesota), Larry Johnson (Cincinnati) or Willie Parker (Pittsburgh) remains to be seen. It is not a deep group as of now.

Q4: Since there is no cap, can teams cut players without some of the previous adverse consequences?
            A: Yes. Let's say the Jets feel that 2008 draft pick Vernon Gholston, the No. 6 overall pick, isn't living up to his high draft status and want to clear him out to bring in someone else. They can let him go without suffering a "cap hit" because there is no cap. When there was a cap, any signing bonus money was pro-rated over the team of the contract and if a player was released, the remaining amount would accelerate and eat up space under the cap. Not anymore, though. When a team cuts a player, it doesn't have to pay him any more base salary unless it was guaranteed.

So to roundup:

1. There should be a massive purge of players with bad and bloated contracts (Bulger is another) getting released as there are no ''cap hits'' like before.

2. The owners have a great opportunity to save a huge amount of money here and wipe the slate clean.

3. The Top 8 teams will be able to sign those released players without restrictions. The restrictions are only for players whose contracts expired at the end of 2009 (ie Dansby, Wilfork, Peppers etc etc).

The full list of UFAs are:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
            Last edited by boknows34; 02-21-2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information