No announcement yet.

***2010 NFL Free Agency Thread***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something tells me Wilfork will be a Cowboy.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
      Only if they plan on switching to a more traditional, two-gapping 3-4. Ratliff is the perfect NT for their one-gap scheme.

What's the status on Jenkins in NY? I could see them looking to replace him since he's injured so much.

Truth be told, most of the 3-4 teams in the league could look to add him: Casey Hampton and Jamal Williams are both getting old. Miami, Denver, GB, and Cleveland both could use a true, dominating NT as they continue transitioning to 3-4 defenses.
      Last edited by yourfavestoner; 02-01-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        Only if they plan on switching to a more traditional, two-gapping 3-4. Ratliff is the perfect NT for their one-gap scheme.

What's the status on Jenkins in NY? I could see them looking to replace him since he's injured so much.

Truth be told, most of the 3-4 teams in the league could look to add him: Casey Hampton and Jamal Williams are both getting old. Miami, Denver, GB, and Cleveland both could use a true, dominating NT as they continue transitioning to 3-4 defenses.
        Don't forget the Chiefs. :)

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
          That's not funny.
          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
            That's not funny.
            Don't worry. We'll have an awesome free agency and an awesomer draft.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

Cleveland has Shaun Rogers, but I think he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                Cleveland has Shaun Rogers, but I think he's gone.
                I thought he signed an extension this season, and that Cleveland fans liked it more when he played DE with Rubin playing NT?

Comment

Titans RB Johnson wants big bucks

"Hopefully they'll want to give me a new deal. I think I deserve to be the highest paid running back in the league, or even the highest paid offensive player besides the quarterback," Johnson told the paper. "But it's not like I am not going out in the media saying, ‘Pay me, I want a new deal now.' I am just saying, if they were to pay me, I want that."

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                    I thought he signed an extension this season, and that Cleveland fans liked it more when he played DE with Rubin playing NT?
                    Detroit media keeps writing about how he wants to come back to Detroit.

Comment

Breaking News!!!!

For all those who thought they'd be able to sign him after the 2010 season- no such luck!
                      It appears that he's going to be resigned... another surprise here...
                      HE'S EXPECTED TO BE THE HIGHEST PAID PLAYER EVER!!!
                      Definitely didn't see this coming.... I thought the Rams/Vikings/Raiders/Redskins/Bills all had a chance at him
                      Looks like its back to the drawing board for your front offices

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=4881625

Comment

Does anyone know if there's no salary cap next year, then how does that effect the cap hits that usually occur from cutting players?

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonnew-en...-with-patriots

CFL defender Ricky Foley set to visit Patriots. Took over Cameron Wake's position last year and had 12 sacks.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...peaks-out.html

LT refuses to take a paycut which may lead to him being cut

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...eing-new-teams

Joey Porter demands a trade. Wants to play for San Fran, San Diego, or Arizona

Comment

With no cap, it is important for us to gauge the frugality of our teams at this point.

Obvious big-spenders will be DAL, WAS, and OAK. I think we can add Arthur Blank and ATL in that mix as well.

The lack of a floor may be even more important to the competitive balance of the league than the lack of a cap. I think the Bills, Jags, and Packers will be cheap. I think the Steelers will be relatively cheap but not as bad as we might think. I can't imagine the Rooney's allowing for the team to start declining while they still have an elite QB and good pieces on defense. The Steelers were never big players in free agency anyway, but I don't think they'll be one of the bottom teams in terms of payroll.

As for the Seahawks, for those of you who may not know, the owner of the team is Paul Allen, who is one of the wealthiest men in the entire world. He has too much money NOT to spend it on this team plus he has shown that he really wants to win (new stadium, various big-name, big $ coaching hires, etc.).

This is a team starved for a title (and attention), and already has to overcome the geography factor when pursuing free agents. To say they'll break the bank to get the guy they want is an understatement. I would not be surprised at all if the Seahawks have the highest salary number for a long time a la the New York Yankees (that is of course until we get a new CBA).

So my question is- how much do you think your franchise will spend on free agents now that we are in an MLB-like situation with no cap and no floor? In my estimation that is what's more relevant than speculating on which players will be fits for which teams at this point.
                            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Elimination of the cap floor would actually help small market teams as they wouldn't have to waste tons of money on marginal players just to get above the cap floor. The cap floor was rising at such a stupid amount in recent years that small market teams were having trouble keeping up with it. These teams will now be able to devote more of their resources in keeping their own players.

The end of the salary cap is not the end of the world for the NFL. The entire purpose of the cap was to help curtail player salaries, so it's pretty much been dead for the last five years or so anyways. When's the last time you heard of a team in dire cap trouble? Washington, right before the last CBA was signed. Revenues have pushed the salary cap so high in recent years that it's pretty much been dead anyways.

The NFL won't turn into MLB for one major reason: it's the only league where young players are more valuable to your team than older veterans. The NFL doesn't have a developmental league or a farm system or anything like that. It's rookies hit the ground running, which is why draft choices are worth more than gold.

With the UFA requirement going from four years to six, teams will be able to hold onto their original draft choices into the prime of their careers, instead of losing them just as they're about to enter it. If big market teams want to sign them away, it'll usually be at the cost of a first and third rounder - more than worth it to a small market team that will be able to spend those picks on young, cheap talent.

There's an absolute overflow of football talent in America. The biggest concern the league needs to deal with in preparing for an uncapped NFL is restricting the movement of quarterbacks in the league. That's the biggest fear the small market teams should have: developing a young stud QB and losing him. Almost all other positions are replaceable, esepcially if you can get draft pick compensation for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                                http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonnew-en...-with-patriots

CFL defender Ricky Foley set to visit Patriots. Took over Cameron Wake's position last year and had 12 sacks.
                                [/URL]

Love it Love it Love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information