The Franchise tag thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Addict View Post
    Damn. Uncapped and two tags... NFLPA's getting screwed this year.
    The worst part about it is that you need to accrue six seasons instead of four to become an UFA instead of an RFA. Guys like Elvis Dumerville and Brandon Marshall are going to be playing on $1.7 million RFA tenders this year. True, they're still free to negotiate with any team, but that team would have to fork over a first and third round pick to sign them.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
      The worst part about it is that you need to accrue six seasons instead of four to become an UFA instead of an RFA. Guys like Elvis Dumerville and Brandon Marshall are going to be playing on $1.7 million RFA tenders this year. True, they're still free to negotiate with any team, but that team would have to fork over a first and third round pick to sign them.
      Damn. Broncos are lucking out then. So this capless season is great for owners.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
        Damn. Broncos are lucking out then. So this capless season is great for owners.
        That's why the owners really don't give a ****. This is going to cut down player IMMENSELY. The owners are pretty much gambling that America loves the NFL so much that they'll come back with open arms after the lockout happens. They're not going to have to pay their players, yet will still get their money from their TV deals (I believe).

Comment

That's why the owners really don't give a ****. This is going to cut down player IMMENSELY. The owners are pretty much gambling that America loves the NFL so much that they'll come back with open arms after the lockout happens. They're not going to have to pay their players, yet will still get their money from their TV deals (I believe).
          this isn't news. The NFLPA could and should have foreseen this and acted accordingly. Now they've got nothing and can be pressured into anything.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Long-term deal or franchise tag coming for Seymour

This was pretty much a givin.

Comment

You're talking about a season without football, correct? I really don't think that will happen. Way too many people make way too much money off the sport. Even if the players get screwed, they still have to choose between making millions or unemployment. Not to mention all the pressure from local economic entities that profit from football games (bars, restaurants, newspapers, the media...the list goes on and on). There was even that senator that got involved when the Patriots got caught cheating. If that is enough to rile up Congress, I would think a complete work stoppage would be a major issue in the white house, especially considering the attention the state of the economy is getting by Obama and co. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL got a (totally unnecessary) bailout if that's what it took to keep them in business. America won't let America's game die, even for 1 year.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                PFT is so cheap sometimes. They really couldn't afford a picture of him in the silver and black? He's not new to oakland, he's played games in the uniform.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Casey Hampton is probably going to get the tag.

Comment

#1700!!

question: Who sets the price for an FP tagged player? The team or the league, I had thought it was 2 1sts automatically. When did 1st & a 3rd enter into it?

Did Minnesota FP Edwards or anybody yet, or just RFA status for him? He's looking to cash in on his stellar playoff performance & bitching to ESPN today about how unhappy he was being restricted.

Comment

The team sets the tender which decides how much money they get and what it costs to get them.

Comment

Glad we got Franklin taken care of. He was pretty good last season. I just hope it wasn't a fluke and can repeat his success. He's kind of small for a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                          #1700!!

question: Who sets the price for an FP tagged player? The team or the league, I had thought it was 2 1sts automatically. When did 1st & a 3rd enter into it?

Did Minnesota FP Edwards or anybody yet, or just RFA status for him? He's looking to cash in on his stellar playoff performance & bitching to ESPN today about how unhappy he was being restricted.
                          What Blindsite said, plus this: The draft pick value (ie "2 first round picks") is mostly a suggestion. It's a starting point for valuation but rarely does a team actually get 2 firsts. Generally, a team will get 2 picks but it's usually along the lines of a 1st & 2nd or 1st and 3rd. There is nothing in the CBA or frachise tag definition that mandates it MUST be 2 1sts.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Is Gostkowski a UFA? If yes, I can see the Pats franchising him if we give Wilfork a long-term deal.

Comment

No. He doesn't have 6 years so he'll be RFA. Give him the high tender and take the picks if someone wants to part with draft choices for a kicker.

And it's 2 franchise tags because of the uncapped year. So get ready to see Mankins & Wilfork tagged.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Mankins only has 5 years. I'm not sure what that does to his status as a FA.
                              Last edited by FlyingElvis; 02-19-2010, 10:42 AM.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                                No. He doesn't have 6 years so he'll be RFA. Give him the high tender and take the picks if someone wants to part with draft choices for a kicker.

And it's 2 franchise tags because of the uncapped year. So get ready to see Mankins & Wilfork tagged.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Mankins only has 5 years. I'm not sure what that does to his status as a FA.
                                We have to keep Mankins, he's probably the best overall player in the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information