The Franchise tag thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
    No. He doesn't have 6 years so he'll be RFA. Give him the high tender and take the picks if someone wants to part with draft choices for a kicker.

And it's 2 franchise tags because of the uncapped year. So get ready to see Mankins & Wilfork tagged.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Mankins only has 5 years. I'm not sure what that does to his status as a FA.
    I don't think there are 2 franchise tags, there's the franchise and the transition just like every year.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

I'll have to check - I saw a post that said there would be two this year.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
        I don't think there are 2 franchise tags, there's the franchise and the transition just like every year.
        Maybe that's the confusion - both can be used. Was it one or the other in previous years or could both be used? It's tough to be sure since the transition tag is never used.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Maybe that's the confusion - both can be used. Was it one or the other in previous years or could both be used? It's tough to be sure since the transition tag is never used.
          I'm fairly sure that you could use both if you were so inclined. But the problem is that the entire salary would then be guaranteed, not many teams can tie up that much cap space in 2 players. The franchise is the average of the top 5 players at a given position, the transition is the top 10 and both have the right of first refusal built in.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

My head hurts.

Comment

I hope we can lock Sharper up to a 2 or 3 year deal rather than tagging him.
              The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                I hope we can lock Sharper up to a 2 or 3 year deal rather than tagging him.
                Have a front loaded contract because the uncapped year would really help him stay on with us.

Comment

didn't the Seahawks use it on Steve Hutchinson by accident?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                    didn't the Seahawks use it on Steve Hutchinson by accident?
                    It was a mistake, but not an accident. Yeah they used the transition tag on him to try to pinch a few pennies, but they broke the bank on Shaun Alexander.

Superb GMing.

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                      I'm fairly sure that you could use both if you were so inclined. But the problem is that the entire salary would then be guaranteed, not many teams can tie up that much cap space in 2 players. The franchise is the average of the top 5 players at a given position, the transition is the top 10 and both have the right of first refusal built in.
                      It's the average of the top highest 5 paid or it's 10% on top of what a player made the previous year, which is why Pep's figure was so high last year.

Comment

Everything I have seen has said teams have 2 franchise tags this year. So for example the Pats could use it on both Wilfork and Gostkowski if they so choose.
                        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I just found this also. The amounts of what a franchise or transistion tag would be for this upcoming year.

CORNERBACK: $9.566 million (franchise), $8.056 million (transition)
                          DEFENSIVE END: $12.398m, $10.193m
                          DEFENSIVE TACKLE: $7.003m, $6.353m
                          LINEBACKER: $9.680m, $8.373m
                          OFFENSIVE LINE: $10.731m, $9.142m
                          PUNTER/KICKER: $2.814m, $2.629m
                          QUARTERBACK: $16.405m, $14.546m
                          RUNNING BACK: $8.156m, $7.151m
                          SAFETY: $6.455m, $6.011m
                          TIGHT END: $5.908m, $5.248m
                          WIDE RECEIVER: $9.521m, $8.651m

The franchise tag is an average of the top five salaries at a position for the 2009 season. (Or, in the case of "exclusive" franchise tags, the average of the top five salaries as of a TBD date this coming April.) The transition tag is an average of the top 10.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I don't like how offensive line and linebacker are grouped together as one. Or maybe I just feel like complaining today.

Comment

OL and LB are different. They're not grouped together.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Sorry for so many posts from doing a little research teams don't have 2 franchise tags. It looks like teams can use both the franchise and transition tags. I always thought they could use both anyway.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information