Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be fair to a potential UFA if...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be fair to a potential UFA if...

The team they respectfully have played for, non-tender them and let them hit the open market? It'd be a simple way to cause some problem.

Positives:
    - The player is free to go wherever.
    - The player can test the open market and get a higher amount.
    - Very respectful on the teams part.

Negatives:
    - You potentially lose a very good player.

I was thinking about this, and thought it was something that could be done to help out the situation.
    Last edited by HawkeyeFan; 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM.
    | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

You mean a potential RFA?
    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
      You mean a potential RFA?
      I said potential UFA because of the whole RFA/UFA situation right now. A lot of players would be UFA if there was a cap, so potentially they're UFA but they end up being RFA.

Comment

They're on their way to become UFA's right now, so they're potential RFA's if the CBA isn't extended. That's how I was lookin' at it, but it doesn't matter.

Anywho, the Player's Union and Owners can't reach an agreement, so both sides know the repercussions of what would happen if nothing gets settled. So yes, I think it's perfectly fine for a team to tender it's RFA's. Besides, "it's a business." Showing respect to a player doesn't factor into decision making.
        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

No way a team lets a good RFA walk just because they would have been a UFA in another year.

A team could respect the hell out of a particular player but...

Competative Edge > Any amount of player respect

Comment

Tough crowd, this is the last time I'm having a ****** idea.

Comment

Pass that to the left please
              RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

If I'm a team, I say Hell Naw!

If you need an example I say see Boozer, Carlos. Cleveland did just this with an under the table agreement in place, then more $$$ came in and Boozer said "k thx, bai!"

If a team did this, they are just being stupid, why risk losing a guy for nothing if you don't have to, you have to protect your assets. This would like hearing that a bushfire is coming and as a result you cancel your insurance, sure, you might save some dollars by cancelling, but is it really worth the risk, yeah, didn't think so.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                  If I'm a team, I say Hell Naw!

If you need an example I say see Boozer, Carlos. Cleveland did just this with an under the table agreement in place, then more $$$ came in and Boozer said "k thx, bai!"

If a team did this, they are just being stupid, why risk losing a guy for nothing if you don't have to, you have to protect your assets. This would like hearing that a bushfire is coming and as a result you cancel your insurance, sure, you might save some dollars by cancelling, but is it really worth the risk, yeah, didn't think so.
                  That's actually not a great analogy lol. But this league is a business, so you're right ;)

Comment

If the situation were reversed and a players who ordinarily would have been restricted were unrestricted they would never agree to get paid what a restricted would for one season.

Comment

it's like hearing a bushfire is coming and cancelling your homeowner's insurance because you want to be polite to the insurance company. except that the insurance company can't go sign a big deal elsewhere... hm. yeah, i don't know.
                      That works. I sort of switched "respect from a player" with "saving money" in mine. Basically you have the asset and you basically put it at stupidly unnecessary risk for very little payoff. Earning respect from players is like saving money on insurance in that if you don't have the player/house at the end, you lost period.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information