NFL Overtime Rulechange(?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Oh you idealists....the "play defense" argument is quite funny. At least 90% of points are scored by the offense, and points are what you need to win the game at that point. It's like saying that only one fighter should be allowed to punch in a given round...sure the other guy can protect his head and survive until he gets to go on offensive, but you are far less likely to win that way if you're unfortunate enough to go 2nd.

Give each team an offensive possession and everyone is happy. The way it is now is entirely ********. Appeal to Tradition much?
    But all you have to do is get a stop and then you have the chance to win the game. It's not that difficult. As long as you play good defense and don't screw up on special teams it's more then likely you'll get the ball and a chance to win the game.

Between 2000-2007 there were 124 OT games in the regular season. Of those 124 games, 37 ended on the first drive. That's just less then 30% so it's not like the majority of games end without the other team ever having touched the ball. (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008...lip-in-ot.html)

Besides, you have 4 quarters to win the game. If you're afraid you'll lose in OT because of a coin flip then do something to win the game during those first 4 quarters.

Comment

i don't understand why in the playoffs its sudden death, it should just be an extra quarter

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)

Comment

Stupid idea
        Die hard 49ers fan for over 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
          yeah but you'd think that with the NFC championship being decided in overtime the way it was after Minnesota basically had the game.
          So are we supposed to discuss changing OT rules every time Brett Favre ***** up in an NFC Championship game? We had this discussion two years ago when he gave the Giants a win in overtime too.

Comment

Ive been saying it should be first team to score 6 points for a while now.

Comment

Alright i never said what i said was true, i guessed on the % and its most likely wrong. But you cannot argue that a game of higher importance (playoffs) should not rely on any factor other than the ones presented by the teams. A coin is a factor of chance that should have no part in deciding the game.

Lets say both teams have ****** defenses and the coin toss gave it to one team and they brought it down the field and won with ease. The same thing couldve happened if the other team won the toss.

Comment

Is there a specific reason why overtime is used at all during the regular season? I'm tired so I might be missing something but I can't see anything to be gained in trying to force a result.

Comment

Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
                  Is there a specific reason why overtime is used at all during the regular season? I'm tired so I might be missing something but I can't see anything to be gained in trying to force a result.
                  Because, as a spectator sport, fans dont want to see a tie.

Nobody wins in a tie. ;)

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

No im not, a defense couldve made a stop but if NEITHER defense did, why would it be fair to only let one offense have a chance to win, that game should really end in a tie.

I would agree to regular season games having this overtime, but when it comes down to playoffs and superbowl equal opportunity is defintely something to be looked into due to a cointoss being a variable and in some cases a deciding factor.

I dont disagree with the defenses having to play to win, but by stopping a team for a field goal shouldnt that be a good thing rather than a game ending failure?

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                      no, letting the other team score is NEVER a good thing. period. you should STOP them from scoring. and what? if neither defense made the stop? all game, you're suggesting that neither defense stopped the other team, and these are playoff teams?
                      I would like to direct you to the Cardinals/Packers playoff game ;)

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                        no, letting the other team score is NEVER a good thing. period. you should STOP them from scoring. and what? if neither defense made the stop? all game, you're suggesting that neither defense stopped the other team, and these are playoff teams?

hang on, give me a minute to make up a completely idiotic scenario that bears no relation whatsoever to reality to base my entire opinion around. it'll be fun because everytime you argue against it, i can just double down, or invent new, bizarre twists so that i can continue to base my entire argument on it.

the coin toss at the beginning of the game is a variable out of either team's control. why aren't you advocating for getting rid of it? hmm... maybe because it would be stupid, given that each team then has four quarters to make up for it. or to avoid another one.
                        well the arizona vs green bay didnt really have that great of defenses and was the highest scoring game ive ever seen in the playoffs. It ultimately did get decided by defense, but in a freaky way (rodgers kicked a ball up and dansby picked it off and ran for a TD). Its an IF (not good for an argument i know) but if that had not happened and overtime had been decided by an offensive field goal wouldn't it have been unfair to the arizona offense which produced as much as green bay?

Thats the point, an unfair outcome is something that is an "IF" type situation that should be protected against. Its why we have instant replay, to prevent against unfair outcomes.

"Its part of the game" is a fair statement, but it is not fair in playoff games where millions of dollars are supporting these players and teams. Thats my opinion you can disagree and i would fully understand.

That is nothing like an overtime cointoss. The only thing that decides is strategy toward weather, home advantage (normally teams have their own preference some like defense first to get the crowd with them, or offense first to let the defense get a small taste of the feel of the game through SP teams). Either way both teams have the opportunity to start with the ball at the beginning of a half.

Comment

Originally posted by Stranger View Post
                          I would like to direct you to the Cardinals/Packers playoff game ;)
                          i was thinking the same thing obviously ^^^^

Comment

NFL overtime rules suck and they should get changed.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

I don't get the whole "with a good kick return than you only need 30-35 yards to kick a field goal" argument. I could just as easily say "with good kick coverage you only need three good defensive plays to get the ball in good field position." If you want the football, don't let them get a good kick return and if you do, don't let them get the extra 30-35 yards. The average kick off return last year was around 22-23 yards. Get a good kicker who can kick the ball into the endzone and half your problem is already solved.

Comment

alright so apparently to try to prove anything of my argument i will either have to deduce small agreements from you, and im not willing to do so right now, but probably tomorrow.

First i'll start with:

Why do you not consider "fair" being a valid part to the argument?

What is fair, by definition, to you?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information