No announcement yet.

NFL Overtime Rulechange(?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a stupid ******* rule. Even the Vikings voted against it. Just play the god damn game, play some defense and don't cry about rules.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Rule Change Passed, 28-4 vote

They passed, 28 teams voted for it with only 4 against.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

And one of them was Minnesota who were the "victims" of the old rule in the last playoffs. Does anything Zygi does anymore surprise me.... no.

I would have thought that team with solid FG kickers with HC confidence in them would vote for it. And injuries to kickers in the game, if he isnt able to kick in OT your punter better have some place kicker experience....

ESPN showed the graphic that the other team that had an OT FG scored on it would get the chance to "tie or win," which made think about the fake FG with new significance here.

And can a missed FG be returned by the defense? It s/b.
      Last edited by LizardState; 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        I really hope you're being sarcastic.
        One day people will understand in the game of football, there is also a defense and special teams.

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
          I really hope you're being sarcastic.
          I missread his post apparently.

I was trying to say the old system was unfair if you are an offense oriented team, so basically, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
            One day people will understand in the game of football, there is also a defense and special teams.
            And they will also understand (as they just have now) that a flip of a coin should not decide the game.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
              They passed, 28 teams voted for it with only 4 against.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

And one of them was Minnesota who were the "victims" of the old rule in the last playoffs. Does anything Zygi does anymore surprise me.... no.

I would have thought that team with solid FG kickers with HC confidence in them would vote for it. And injuries to kickers in the game, if he isnt able to kick in OT your punter better have some place kicker experience....

ESPN showed the graphic that the other team that had an OT FG scored on it would get the chance to "tie or win," which made think about the fake FG with new significance here.

And can a missed FG be returned by the defense? It s/b.
              Absolutely. I think that's how both McCalister and Cromartie set their return records with 108 and 109 yards, respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                I missread his post apparently.

I was trying to say the old system was unfair if you are an offense oriented team, so basically, my bad.
                It's not "unfair." It not anybody's fault, especially the fault of a coin, if your team doesn't have a competent defense.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                  Minnesota wasn't a victim of the old rule. They were a victim of 5 turnovers and "questionable" officiating. We hold onto the ball, we win the game, then the officiating and the overtime rules wouldn't be in question. I think Zygi voting against it shows that he is competent. He knows that the overtime rule was not our downfall.

And they will also understand (as they just have now) that a flip of a coin should not decide the game.
                  The coin flip doesn't decide ****. The coin flip is an excuse for whinny bitches to cry about losing, when all they had to do was play good defense, or even better, win the game in regulation.

This whole situation is just dumb. There was nothing wrong with the way overtime was.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                  Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Dude, OMG ^ 10 power.

You are the kind of people I am referring to. You put a defense together to play, their job is to stop the opposing teams offense. That purpose does not disappear because the other team wins a coin flip.

Originally posted by WMD
                    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                    Originally posted by gpngc
                    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

This is a sad day indeed.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Me don't likely change.

Comment

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                          Dude, OMG ^ 10 power.

You are the kind of people I am referring to. You put a defense together to play, their job is to stop the opposing teams offense. That purpose does not disappear because the other team wins a coin flip.
                          Look I don't think the game is over because of a coin flip, you guys are completely taking what I'm saying and reading into it too much.

It is unfair that a team gets to start overtime with the ball based completely off a coin flip. Yes you can stop the other team, yes you can stop them in regulation, but to give one team the ball based off a coin toss is the unfair part in my opinion.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008...lip-in-ot.html

From the 2000 through 2007 regular seasons, there have been 124 overtime games. In every single game except one (I believe), the team that won the toss elected to receive. And those receiving teams won 60% of the time (and tied once). That's a relatively large advantage, particularly when compared to home field advantage.

The dreaded 'lose-the-coin-toss-never-touch-the-ball' scenario happened in 37 out of the 124 OT periods, or about 30% of all overtime games.

My whole problem with overtime the way it was before was that teams never had to play for a touchdown, they could get to about a 50 yard field goal with a good kicker and feel comfortable. I like that they are offering the other team to get the ball back and score, and I like that it encourages teams to get a touchdown and win a game rather than just kick a field goal and call it a game.

And like I was trying to say, some teams are built offense heavy and a coin toss can either make it easy for them to win or extremely hard for them to win.

I don't really like THIS rule but I wasn't in favor of the prior system either and at least this encourages teams to score a TD to win.

Comment

Beautiful. Long overdue.

Comment

Safety wins in new overtime

Comment

*sigh*

Lame.
                                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information