NFL Overtime Rulechange(?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
    Yeah but did you read the reasoning of WHY that's been happening? Because they decided to move the kickoff from the 35 to the 30, leading to better field position and an easier drive. Before that, the percentages were dead ******* even.

So instead of overhauling the whole overtime system, why not just move the kickoff back?
    That's fine, I don't like the old system by any means, and this new one isn't great either but I do like it a bit more.

No one can tell me when they lose the coin toss that their heart doesnt sink a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
      are you serious? can you not make statements for an argument without directing it personally at somebody? chill out dude. i used the colts as an example of an offense oriented team. due to the salary cap, very few teams are composed of #1 rated offense and defenses, so i decided to divide the teams into areas of strength. the colts imperfectly fit the mold of an offense heavy/weaker defensive team. they are imperfect because their defense is good, but only against the pass from a position of strength. (gameplan is freeney and mathis forcing turnovers with basic coverage behind them)

i used pretty basic deduction skills to figure out that the colts best chance, as an offensive based team, is to have the ball in manning's hands. if the defense is on the field then there is a chance that manning won't have the ball in his hands, which is less than ideal. i consider less than ideal to be < 50%. i did look up Indy's OT games and only found 2 since 2004. both against San Diego. one game they won the coin toss and manning scored instantly. the other game the chargers won and manning never saw the field. so yes i was correct in saying that. just take my word for it next time.
      Football has a wide variety of variables that can't possibly be calculated. It depends what teams you're playing, the weather, penalties, etc. "Basic deduction skills" aren't going to give you a realistic chance to the Colts chances to win an overtime game. Neither will taking two examples in years past and concluding that the Colts have a 50% chance to win an overtime contest. The entire thing is completely random due to the unpredictable variables. Therefore, a prediction can not be made. And please don't say anything about the salary cap being a crutch. All teams have the same disadvantage obviously.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
        Football has a wide variety of variables that can't possibly be calculated. It depends what teams you're playing, the weather, penalties, etc. "Basic deduction skills" aren't going to give you a realistic chance to the Colts chances to win an overtime game. Neither will taking two examples in years past and concluding that the Colts have a 50% chance to win an overtime contest. The entire thing is completely random due to the unpredictable variables. Therefore, a prediction can not be made. And please don't say anything about the salary cap being a crutch. All teams have the same disadvantage obviously.
        another good point is that this overtime change is only meaningful maybe one game every handful of years. its only good in the playoffs, and then teams have to not score a touchdown on the first drive for this rule change to even be any different from how things are now.
        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
          awesome. what an idiotic ******* rule.
          lol njx thats exactly how i pictured your response to this haha

Comment

Well, ultimately this could take more than a year to affect games, so we won't know how positively/negatively it will change the results. Judgement should still be pending, not decided.

My only argument, previously stated in this thread would be that defenses could make a stop in OT and still lose, where it should be rewarded with something other than just a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
              another good point is that this overtime change is only meaningful maybe one game every handful of years. its only good in the playoffs, and then teams have to not score a touchdown on the first drive for this rule change to even be any different from how things are now.
              If it's going to have so little of an effect, why make the rule change then?

Comment

People should also keep in mind that special teams is an important part of the game. By changing these rules you're basically taking away an opportunity for special teams to win the contest. Why can't a kicker have a chance to shine and win the game on the first series? Why not? Offense, defense, and special teams are equally important in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                  People should also keep in mind that special teams is an important part of the game. By changing these rules you're basically taking away an opportunity for special teams to win the contest. Why can't a kicker have a chance to shine and win the game on the first series? Why not? Offense, defense, and special teams are equally important in my mind.
                  they do, as long as their team's defense makes a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                    they do, as long as their team's defense makes a stop.
                    LOL no, then you're giving the defense a chance to win the game. Not special teams. That would be the defense winning the game seeing as their on the field last. The kicker isn't going to be hoisted on on people's shoulders when the defense has to go out and play another series.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                      LOL no, then you're giving the defense a chance to win the game. Not special teams. That would be the defense winning the game seeing as their on the field last. The kicker isn't going to be hoisted on on people's shoulders when the defense has to go out and play another series.
                      but it would be a contribution by the special teams, offense, and defense. All three aspects come together to win a game.

Comment

• The thing with the old rule is that they had a touchdown=field goal, which in regulation is not the case. 7=/=3, so why should it in overtime? This way, it is fair for both teams because a field goal=/=touchdown so if a field goal is kicked, game is not over, but if a touchdown is scored, it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                          The thing with the old rule is that they had a touchdown=field goal, which in regulation is not the case. 7=/=3, so why should it in overtime? This way, it is fair for both teams because a field goal=/=touchdown so if a field goal is kicked, game is not over, but if a touchdown is scored, it is.
                          Because the purpose of sudden death is that the first team to score wins. Doesn't matter if it's a touchdown or a field goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                            but it would be a contribution by the special teams, offense, and defense. All three aspects come together to win a game.
                            But games aren't always won with equally contribution by all three phases of the game. And what if a team on it's first possession scores a touchdown and their own defense never sees the field? How is that having all three phases of the game contribute to a win in overtime? The offense would be responsible for winning the game...unless you count the return game. Even so, a defense wouldn't see the field in that scenario. All three phases shouldn't have to come together to win a football game. One unit can outshine the other two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              Because the purpose of sudden death is that the first team to score wins. Doesn't matter if it's a touchdown or a field goal.
                              That's what makes it unfair though, because it's MUCH easier to kick a field goal than score a TD. Making a FG=TD in the overtime does not make sense because they are unequal to start, 2 FG=1 TD.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                                That's what makes it unfair though, because it's MUCH easier to kick a field goal than score a TD. Making a FG=TD in the overtime does not make sense because they are unequal to start, 2 FG=1 TD.
                                So? Man up and stop the other team. All things must end, that includes football games. The reason for making sudden death in the first place was to end the contest without it dragging on and on. You don't want overtime then play defense so it won't have to come down to extended regulation.

If you're going to complain about that not being fair (which doesn't make sense in the first place) then the NFL should get rid of overtime all together and have an indefinite amount of extra quarters played until there aren't any ties at the end of regulation.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information