Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Overtime Rulechange(?)

Per NFL Combine talk:

Not 100% backedup, it was briefly touched on at the combine that there is discussion of this:

In overtime if the team recieving scores a touchdown the game is over, but if they only score a field goal, the other team gets the opportunity to tie/win the game.

Its essentially an adaptation of college rules, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by BaLLiN; 02-28-2010, 11:03 PM.

There are proposals to change overtime every single season.

Every single season, they get shot down.

Comment

Whats your point?

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        There are proposals to change overtime every single season.

Every single season, they get shot down.
        yeah but you'd think that with the NFC championship being decided in overtime the way it was after Minnesota basically had the game.

Comment

Originally posted by raiderchampion3 View Post
          Whats your point?
          would this improve the game? or would it make it less exciting? Would it be the fair thing to do?

Comment

They wont change it. It's sudden death. Make the defenses do their job and stop the opposing team from getting into scoring position.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
              would this improve the game? or would it make it less exciting? Would it be the fair thing to do?
              I think that it would add a lot more controversy to the game.

sig by fenikz
              Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
              You are just a terrible person.
              Originally posted by bigbluedefense
              I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                yeah but you'd think that with the NFC championship being decided in overtime the way it was after Minnesota basically had the game.
                The Vikings screwed themselves over with turnovers. They deserved to lose.

There is nothing wrong the current overtime rules. Why people want to change it is beyond me.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                Originally posted by Borat
                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

i dont like the argument of if your defense stops them you get the ball because...

a.) return man can bring it back for a td

b.) one blown coverage ruins the entire game.

c.) maybe you are an offense oriented team

d.) teams stop for field goals, this would make them have to "go for the throat"

They need to put something in to change the system.

Comment

Play defense. That is all.

Comment

People will never be happy, with the overtime rule, no matter in what direction it goes. Many say your insultalting the integrity of the game, by changing it. While others will say, its not fair, and compare it to college ball. I dont really care, either wsy.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

To be honest I think the whole issue is overblown and would be in favour of getting rid of overtime in the regular season altoghether.

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                        I am not really vested in them changing the rules but will play devils advocate here.

I have never liked the "defense is part of the game too" argument. Why should only one sides defense have to perform then?

Plus it's not like teams are designed with their offense and defense being of equal ability, why punish teams that are built around their offense. Look at the Colts, they have a defense designed to limit the big play, force opponents go on long drives and needs to play with a lead to function at it's best (obviously not the case in overtime). I don't really see them as a group that can force a big stop when it's needed especially if the the opposing offense only needs to get 30-40 yards. Alot of offensive teams follow a similar defensive philosophy as well.

Still with that said I support an offensive team that has lost the overtime coin toss twice in the last two years and has won both games without our offense touching the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          Thank you.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Oh you idealists....the "play defense" argument is quite funny. At least 90% of points are scored by the offense, and points are what you need to win the game at that point. It's like saying that only one fighter should be allowed to punch in a given round...sure the other guy can protect his head and survive until he gets to go on offensive, but you are far less likely to win that way if you're unfortunate enough to go 2nd.

Give each team an offensive possession and everyone is happy. The way it is now is entirely ********. Appeal to Tradition much?

Comment

My argument would be:

Its getting pretty ridiculous that a coin toss can win you the game. You get a decent return to around the 35 and all you really need is about 30/35 more yards and your in good field goal range.

Im an advocate in defense, but if this is going to decide a superbowl a rulechange needs to happen. If its changed for the playoffs id be happy because both defenses should be tested, and both offenses should have an opportunity to win.

Winning the cointoss before the game is only really mentally affecting, but winning the cointoss for overtime cant be a 80% (guess) win or whatever it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information