Jets trade Rhodes to Cardinals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
    I was saying economically and logically from a football stand point this is a steal. To pay 30 mil less over 4 years to get a guy right on the same level (who I actually like more than Rolle) and to only give up a 4th and 7th seems quite amazing. Now they need a rush backer on D like a Hughes or Graham or Sapp and a tackling machine at ILB. Some smart moves on and off the field.
    I am a big fan of the move as well, I think Rhodes will be able to match Rolle's production and we really need as many strong reliable tacklers in our secondary as we can get. Where did you get the 30 million less over four years from?

The deal features base salaries of $2.78 million (2010), $2.525 million (2011), $3.5 million (2012) and $4.5 million (2013), plus a $2 million roster bonus due March 12. The Jets already paid a $6 million signing bonus as part of the deal, so the Cardinals come out of this one pretty good financially.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...gh-2013-season

Definitely a lot cheaper than Rolle though. If we get one of Foote/Porter I will feel better about losing Dansby as well.

Comment

I thought he was having tackling issues last season?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Pretty good deal for both sides. Cards get a pretty good replacement for Rolle, and Jets get a 4th & a 7th for a guy they were probaly gonna release.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          I thought he was having tackling issues last season?
          Possibly, I didn't see much of him last year although I thought he had a reputation for being a solid tackler.

Regardless it would be difficult to be more inconsistent than our DBs.

Comment

Rhodes is a solid replacement for Rolle though I think the Cards should have resigned him and then picked up Porter. He would add a tougness to that defense that would really help them.
            Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
            Coples is that dude.
            Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

good riddance. our DBs need to be quality tacklers since they are always on islands and he was the opposite of that. I dont think Ive ever seen him square up and make an open field tackle, he does that ******** shoulder thing. now the problem is what will the jets do to replace him. eric smith provides great depth but i dont think he is a starting safety.
              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                Rhodes is a solid replacement for Rolle though I think the Cards should have resigned him and then picked up Porter. He would add a tougness to that defense that would really help them.
                Word on the street is the Cardinals matched the Giants offer but he chose NY.

good riddance. our DBs need to be quality tacklers since they are always on islands and he was the opposite of that. I dont think Ive ever seen him square up and make an open field tackle, he does that ******** shoulder thing. now the problem is what will the jets do to replace him. eric smith provides great depth but i dont think he is a starting safety.
                So much for him being a solid tackler.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stranger;2053473]Word on the street is the Cardinals matched the Giants offer but he chose NY.

I probably would have chosen NY too if I wanted a ring. Doesn't hurt the Cards really by letting him go and signing Rhodes.
                  Coples is that dude.

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                    Know what you mean, its a very chancy way of tackling, id call it a cut tackle or undercut. What happened to him?

Comment

I still don't understand how a player can be so good one season and be **** the next, it doesn't make sense. Especially a player like Rhodes who is in his prime. At first glance, this looks like a very good deal from the Cardinals perspective as a 4th and a 7th likely won't get you anything better then what Rhodes is now. I'm still confused though how his value dropped so much.

Also, why weren't the Seahawks in on this? I'd assume hes at least better then Babineaux as a safety, and he'd play Strong Safety allowing Grant to move to Free Safety so it would be like upgrading two positions.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTeel View Post
                        I still don't understand how a player can be so good one season and be **** the next, it doesn't make sense. Especially a player like Rhodes who is in his prime. At first glance, this looks like a very good deal from the Cardinals perspective as a 4th and a 7th likely won't get you anything better then what Rhodes is now. I'm still confused though how his value dropped so much.

Also, why weren't the Seahawks in on this? I'd assume hes at least better then Babineaux as a safety, and he'd play Strong Safety allowing Grant to move to Free Safety so it would be like upgrading two positions.
                        It does make sense. Not for all players but ego plays a role, he had a big year and I guess thought he is good enough to slack and it was exposed. Alot like the shoulder throwing tackles...
                        Coples is that dude.

Comment

I don't really like this at all. Kerry Rhodes wasn't exactly the cornerstone of the defense, but we really have no other players to fill that position. I think it's a virtual lock at this point that the jets are targeting a rangey cover safety in the draft. A trade up for someone like earl thomas wouldn't suprise me at all given the jets draft history the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                            It does make sense. Not for all players but ego plays a role, he had a big year and I guess thought he is good enough to slack and it was exposed. Alot like the shoulder throwing tackles...
                            Speaking of ego though, wouldn't being traded for a 4th round and 7th round pick be a huge hit to the ego and give him a wake up call? Actually, that makes a lot of sense, as you hear the term "change of scenery" thrown around a lot and often thats exactly what a player needs.

Comment

Rhodes was hyped like crazy for his play in previous seasons, and certainly didn't live up to it. Ryan was supposed to solidify him and instead the hype and modeling got to his head. His constant twittering is an example - once he stopped being Mr. Media/Attention he played better. I have no doubt he can bounce back, but i'm not sure it would have happened with the Jets.

The fact that he was benched says a lot, although he played a heck of a lot better afterwards. His weak shoulder tackles were a joke. He had no interest in tackling, just being a ballhawk and blitzing, and he didn't even ballhawk well.

I am sad to see him go, as he was a great player for us when he was underrated trying to get his respect as a late round pick. Hate how things went south, but this may be for the best for both. Filling the void left in the wake is the tough spot. Will be interesting to follow because as of now we have no coverage saftey that i know of.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                              You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

He was one of the best up and coming safeties in the league, then he got a massive contract and started to suck.

He can be great if he wants to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information