Jaguars sign Aaron Kampman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
    really, is it that big of a deal? I've gotten the sense lately that the NFL is moving away from side-specification like FS/SS and RE/LE and more towards flexibility.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. Kampman is a master of the LDE position.

Comment

Yeah, Harvey should go to RE and learn from Kamp and Cullen.

I hope we can snag McClain in the first round.

Comment

I really like this move for the Jags.

Comment

really, is it that big of a deal? I've gotten the sense lately that the NFL is moving away from side-specification like FS/SS and RE/LE and more towards flexibility.
          In the secondary maybe, but how often do players in the front seven flip mirror style? Almost never IMO. The outside linebackers do it in a 4-3, not so much 3-4, and DEs will move over and play DT, but they almost never flip.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

It depends on the player's skill set. Kampman is a bullrusher, he is not built to play RE.

RE's prototypicaly are speed rushers who stretch out that LT and give their UT more area to shoot the gap against the LG and create inside pressure.

Kampman can't do that. He's going to bullrush his Tackle into the qb, he won't stretch an offensive line.

What you can do is if he's a RE, is bullrush him and do an outside stunt with your DT (or situationally substituted DE in the UT position), similar to what Tennessee did with Haynesworth at RE and KVG at UT, which allowed KVG to beat a G on an outside speed rush on the way to the qb.

Its actually a very effective rush. The Giants used to do it with Tuck and Osi during our SB year. It was our most effective stunt, teams couldn't block it at all.

But thats just 1 situational rush. Typically you want that edge rusher at RE, not only does he provide more space for your UT to operate, but he also slides RBs and TEs in wide protection, allowing for more favorable blitz packages.

Comment

I'm legitimately upset that Kampman is on another team. I really like this signing for Jax, however.

Comment

I think it's because of size. Kampmann is 250-260, while Harvey is 280.

Comment

Kamp plays a lot bigger than 260. He's great with leverage. He's mini Strahan.

Harvey needs to shed weight so he can speed rush again. 2 wrongs don't make a right. I don't like Kampman at RE.

Comment

Well in this case it probably does. I doubt Harvey would be good at all if he were light. While Del Rio has his problems, I don't think defensive knowledge is one of them. Also, quoting Kampman from his press conference:

“We have talked about right end. I’ve done both in my career.”

by BoneKrusher
                    <DG> how metal unseen
                    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                      This may go down as one of the unheralded moves of the offseason.
                      I think so, too. The press is all for Pep, Dansby and Rolle with very little on the Jags signing. This is a great move for the Jags; filling a major need with a proven commodity and opening up so many more options in the draft.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Did Kampman lose weight last year to prepare for the 3-4 or has he always been around 260?

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                          Did Kampman lose weight last year to prepare for the 3-4 or has he always been around 260?
                          He's always played around 260-275 lbs. I think he shed a little weight but 5-10 lbs at the most.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information