Bears SB Contenders now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morton View Post
    What do you guys think? Now that they've made a big splash in free agency by signing one of the NFL's best pass-rushers and some other guys... and they've hired a competent offensive coordinator to maximize Jay Cutler's talents...

Do they have what it takes to be a legit Super Bowl contender next year? Can they be favorites to win it all next year?

Where would you place them in the heirarchy of the NFC?

1. Saints
    2. Cowboys
    3. Bears?
    Not a chance. The Bears' defense has gone to **** since Rivera left, they don't have a #1 receiver, they haven't decided on Olsen yet, and their secondary isn't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae View Post
      Underrated? He's a whiny diva who acted like a douche until he got his pay day.

Talented? Absolutely. One of the most talented defensive players in the NFL? Sure, I'll give you that. Is he going to give you 100%? No, he won't, and I don't think he ever will again.

Great signing, he will make the Bears better, but not Super Bowl bound better.

Now I'll tell you how I really feel..
      Whiny diva? He is a guy who shuns the spotlight and avoids the media, definitely not a diva. On the douche thing until he 'got paid', he turned down offers from Carolina that would have made him the highest paid player. I really don't think he was acting like a douche to get more money he just wanted to get out of Carolina.

Meh maybe I am overreacting I just tend to favour the players in most management/player disputes.

Comment

Woah. Trent Cole > Julius Peppers

Comment

Questionable secondary (4th most passing TDs allowed last year), no offensive line, questionable running game and no real talent at receiver. So a big no. It could change with some offensive signings, good drafting and a year or two, but for now they're still relatively in rebuild mode. Peppers will help the pass and run defense tremendously, but they're not fixing the protection and production of the offense in any way so far.

Comment

They will be playing the Dolphins in the Superbowl, the other team doing well in FA. :)

They are definitely an improved team, but not contending. They donít have any picks in the first two rounds this year I donít think and they still havenít upgraded their offense. However, Cutler canít play any worse then last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
              Questionable secondary (4th most passing TDs allowed last year), no offensive line, questionable running game and no real talent at receiver. So a big no. It could change with some offensive signings, good drafting and a year or two, but for now they're still relatively in rebuild mode. Peppers will help the pass and run defense tremendously, but they're not fixing the protection and production of the offense in any way so far.
              Wait what? we have talent, just no proven commodity. the rest is true.

Comment

We're not going anywhere until the O line is fixed, we get one good target for Cutler, and a free safety who can cover.

Comment

I can't wait to see the Martz Offense with no O-line.

And with no high draft picks and no quality OL free agents, I don't really see how that's going to change.

They'll compete, for sure, but I doubt they make the playoffs.
                  TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Contenders for their division maybe, but not for the SB. They're still behind Minnesota, and probably Green Bay. They need to prove they've improved on the field, as we all know from Washington's offseasons that winning FA means jack squat. The 'Skins added an even more dominant DL in Haynesworth last offseason, and that didn't translate into a Playoff birth. Plus, they still have a few holes left to fill, and their first pick isn't until the...3rd RD?

I dunno. Chicago just feels like an easily combustable situation to me, especially with Cutler at the helm.
                    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

hereeeeee we go brownies hereeeee we go

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                        Sure. On the other hand, it seems like there has almost been an overreaction that these moves were somehow bad on this board.

I mean, the post above you said "they might be better." They MIGHT be? We added arguably the best defensive player in the NFL, and will have Urlacher back, and we MIGHT be better?

All I'm saying is that if, say, the Eagles signed Peppers, there would be a lot more positivity to the move. It seems like the dissapointing season by Cutler last year has created an entire aura of negativity about the Bears, both among their fans and outside, that I honestly don't get.
                        The question really lies on Cutler more than anything. I think the Chester Taylor signing will be the biggest boost to the Bears. That guy can still play some ball, and Peterson just preserved his legs and gave him a couple of seasons off to be ready to get back to his old 1200+ yard self. I think this is the key here, because it will help Cutler by having a big threat on the ground teams have to be mindful of. But it's going to take a lot of development of your young receivers to really take the next step.

I don't think bringing in Peppers is going to be all that big of a boost to your defense. I think he helps, but I'm not sold on the fact that he's the final piece on that defense. Urlacher coming back will be a bigger impact.

Comment

They need to get an OL before they can compete for anything.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                          WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                            Sure. On the other hand, it seems like there has almost been an overreaction that these moves were somehow bad on this board.

I mean, the post above you said "they might be better." They MIGHT be? We added arguably the best defensive player in the NFL, and will have Urlacher back, and we MIGHT be better?

All I'm saying is that if, say, the Eagles signed Peppers, there would be a lot more positivity to the move. It seems like the dissapointing season by Cutler last year has created an entire aura of negativity about the Bears, both among their fans and outside, that I honestly don't get.
                            Because the Bears have more holes then the Eagles and a Peppers signing is a type of signing that should put you over the top of the other teams and a SB type of signing. Sadly, the Bears are not a SB team.

Comment

If the Bears had an offensive line, secondary and OC who wasn't Mike Martz I'd feel a lot better about the Bears' chances in the NFC North.

BTW WTF is it with Bears fans over-rating Peppers now that they signed him? Ware, Allen, Haynesworth, Kevin Williams, Charles Woodson, Revis, Aso, Troy P, there are a hell of a lot of better defensive players, not necessarily many more talented players but there are certainly many better and more productive players than Peppers.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                              Originally posted by JBCX
                              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

When a team signs an expensive free agent I don't count on said free agent being as good as the contract says he will or even close. I'll wait 8 games or so minimum before I start calling it a success/failure. Perfect example is on the same team. Cutler came in young, talented, experienced, and successful, and then he threw more interceptions than anyone in the league.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information