Rank the NFC South and their likely records

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
    Derrick Brooks is entering his 13th year in the league. Simeon Rice is entering his 12th. Shelton Quarles and Ronde Barber? 11th. Brian Kelly, 10th. Kevin Carter, 13th. This is a defense whose key players are all old, there is no denying that, so don't even try.

I'm not denying it. It seems like everybody makes it seem like every player on our defense is 35+ when it's not true.

Comment

I remember taking all sorts of flak for predicting the defense's demise. They ranked in the bottom half of the league in yardage and points. Yet, one year later, all their veterans are even older. They are going to get better? I disagree with that assessment. I like the Bucs offense, with Garcia at the helm, an improving O-Line, I have said so before. That said I think they will have to get accustomed to getting into shootouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron View Post
        I think they have some young building blocks for the future, like Barrett Ruud... Ellis Wyms looks like a promising player as well.

but the main core of that Defense, Brooks, Simeon, Barber, Quarles.. are getting up there in years...

I'm concerned with their secondary depth..they have Ronde.. but is anyone really high on Kelly, Bolden, Buchanon? whatever happened to Zemaitis? maybe that group just had a down a year.

either way I'm going to be interested to see how they draft this season.
        It doesn't help the secondary when the players don't like the coach they hired. Now that we have Morris back the secondary should improve greatly. Zemaitis had trouble learning and understanding the defense. Buchanon played good after he learned the defense. Kelly doesn't get hardly any repect but he is just as good, if not better than Barber. We have young players that can step in right away and play if they have to. The only area we need to get good, young players is at DE. That should happen in the upcoming draft.

Comment

How is it easy?

We play the Defending Champion Colts, at their house.

We play @ Qwest, and @ Soldier, 2 legit NFC contenders in harsh road enviroments. (Seahawks, Bears)

We draw the Eagles at home again.. this time they'll have McNabb back and it'll be a revenge game for them.

The rest of NFC South has a chance of being much improved, Jacksonville, Tennessee won't be cake walks either..

very far from easy, I'd say it's one of more difficult schedules in the league. The overall number for Strength of Schedule is brought down by the Division opponents.
          Yeah, I agree. We have a pretty rough schedule next year, definitely not as "easy" as it appears on paper.
          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            I remember taking all sorts of flak for predicting the defense's demise. They ranked in the bottom half of the league in yardage and points. Yet, one year later, all their veterans are even older. They are going to get better? I disagree with that assessment. I like the Bucs offense, with Garcia at the helm, an improving O-Line, I have said so before. That said I think they will have to get accustomed to getting into shootouts.

I agree. We have been drafting heavily on offense that past few drafts so we won't have to rely on our defense. This team has the players that can score points.

Comment

Tampa 16-0 :)

Comment

How is it easy?

We play the Defending Champion Colts, at their house.

We play @ Qwest, and @ Soldier, 2 legit NFC contenders in harsh road enviroments. (Seahawks, Bears)

We draw the Eagles at home again.. this time they'll have McNabb back and it'll be a revenge game for them.

The rest of NFC South has a chance of being much improved, Jacksonville, Tennessee won't be cake walks either..

very far from easy, I'd say it's one of more difficult schedules in the league. The overall number for Strength of Schedule is brought down by the Division opponents.
                It doesn't matter what brings our strength of schedule down, the bottom line is we have the 6th easiest schedule for 2007 based on SOS. We only play 4 teams that made the playoffs this season. It's an easy schedule.
                The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

The Bucs are not a good team, and the majority of the offseason moves have been designed to win a few extra games this year to help Gruden keep his job, instead of building for the future. I think 7-9 is a reasonable estimate.

Comment

I can't see the Bucs going through the same kind of improvement as the Saints did. The Bucs didn't sign Drew Brees and they aren't going to draft Reggie Bush.

1. Saints 11-5
                    2. Falcons 9-7
                    2. Panthers 9-7
                    4. Bucs 6-10

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bradentonian View Post
                      The Bucs are not a good team, and the majority of the offseason moves have been designed to win a few extra games this year to help Gruden keep his job, instead of building for the future. I think 7-9 is a reasonable estimate.

I'm glad we finally have a Bucs fan in here who can take the homer goggles off and be reasonable. 7-9 is reasonable, but I wouldn't go any higher than that. 10-6 makes you a homer.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Originally posted by hugepunch View Post
                        that would be stupid. having watched luke his whole career hes a solid LT. passing up on calvin would be a huge blunder. reese is stupid for cutting him. i dont care what any giant fan says. he would have restructured his contract for us. instead reese cuts him, now we have a LG as our LT.
                        Why is everyone assuming Calvin Johnson is going to fall to Tampa?

He could very well go to one of the 1st 3 teams.

As for Pettigout, There's obviously a reason he was cut.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                          I'm glad we finally have a Bucs fan in here who can take the homer goggles off and be reasonable. 7-9 is reasonable, but I wouldn't go any higher than that. 10-6 makes you a homer.
                          Sometimes the truth hurts. The NFCS has been a roller-coaster with worst-to-first being the norm, but I just can't see it for the Bucs this year.

Comment

Since the creation of the NFC South the team that finishes in last place wins the division the next year. Just letting you guys know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                              Since the creation of the NFC South the team that finishes in last place wins the division the next year. Just letting you guys know that.
                              You mean all 5 years?

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Here is my break-down. I will do more for Atlanta, because of my familiarity.

New Orleans

• Strength: Sean Payton's Offense
                                • Weakness: Secondary
                                • Wildcard: Reggie Bush's development

Comments: The prohibitive favorites. Which doesn't mean a lot in this division, seeing as how it's had different division champs since it's inception. The offense will still be a strength. Unless injuries hit, but that could be said about any team. If Reggie Bush can maintain his end of the season performance, he will be a dangerous weapon. McAllister is very underrated. Hopefully for them Colston doesn't become the next version of Michael Clayton, though.

Not sure the defense can hold up their end though. McKenzie is aging, Thomas is awful. I like their safeties, if Harper comes back from his injury. The front-7 is good, not great, not bad either. All that defense has to do is maintain mid-level performance to keep them at 'favorite' level.

Atlanta
                                • Strength: Rushing Attack, Front-7
                                • Weakness: Coverage Safeties, Left side of the O-Line
                                • Wildcard: Michael Vick meshing with Petrino's offense

Comments: The draft is going to be the focal point of retooling the team. They've already moved into a more physical approach, in contrast to Jim Mora's more finesse style. The rushing attack was based on misdirection, false flow, and cut backs. The new one will focus more on smash mouth football. The O-Lineman that had to slim down for Gibbs' system, Kevin Shaffer for example put 20-lbs back on when he went to Cleveland. The coaches have stated that they will make sure they put on more bulk and strength, and move back into the style of system they were drafted into and originally started in. Current news has it that Quinn Ojinnaka could move to starting LG.

They have four glaring holes that need to be addressed. A FS/CB depending on how the coaching staff feels about Jimmy Williams, a LE that can step in rotation with Chauncey Davis, O-Lineman, a power RB to tandem with Jerious Norwood. Matt Schaub will be key, most think he will be dealt, that will allow the team to better address needs and depth in the draft. Fortunately for the team the need areas are deep in the draft, that is OG, DE, are deep.

Obviously what will command attention is how Michael Vick develops under Petrino. If they can coax '02-level production from him, the offense will be dynamite. That is, however, a unknown at this point. He will have more control, more weapons, better schematic fit. The onus is on him to return to the elite echelon and prove his lackluster production was a manifestation of the 'square peg in a round hole' theory.

Carolina
                                • Strength: Corner trio, Julius Peppers and Steve Smith are all world
                                • Weakness: Safety, Dan Morgan's health, O-Line
                                • Wildcard: Jake Delhomme

Comments: This is a team I never count out. That said; this draft they have some work to do. The safeties really struggled in general. Dan Morgan is a crucial piece to that defense, and I don't trust he can stay on the field. Personally as a man, I wish he stepped away. Before he becomes a mental wreck like Ted Johnson or Wayne Chrebet. The O-Line still has some issues, they were not effective last year at opening holes for DeAngelo Williams.

That said, as long as you have the best Defensive player in football in my estimation, and one the NFL's biggest play-makers, they have a shot to win games. They had some bouts of bad luck that led to their missing out on the play-offs.

I do think Jake Delhomme is the wild card. He needs to maintain his composure better, limit his mistakes. I do think at some point on draft day, they will look towards the future. Will Delhomme step up with his future on the line, ala Drew Brees, or shrink like Jake Plummer did last year when the Broncos added Cutler?

Tampa Bay
                                • Strength: Up and coming Offense manned by Jeff Garcia
                                • Weakness: Defense, with the only good players on the precipice of retirement
                                • Wildcard: Cadillac Williams' durability

Comments: I really like the offense. I think Garcia is a perfect fit for what Gruden wants. This was the much better move, as opposed to last year where they wrongfully put trust in Chris Simms. The O-Line will improve a lot, with Joseph, Trueblood adding experience, Petitgout being an upgrade.

The problem with this team is the defense. It's weak, and with Gruden making offense more of a priority, they haven't rebuilt like Monte Kiffin defenses of the past. They were below average across the board, and their former impact players have only aged.

The wild-card on this team is Carnell "Cadillac" Williams. His durability has always been a concern. In college, he never carried the load and had a few injuries. In his first two years in the NFL, he hasn't been healthy. All the O-Line and QB improvements won't help if Williams doesn't shoulder the load and dominate for 16 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information