Seahawks send 3rd round pick for CHARLIE WHITEHURST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation:

AJ Smith on Whitehurst move: "We saw how the Eagles ripped off Pete Carroll with the Tapp trade, so when we saw an opportunity to fleece the Seahawks with one of our marginal players, we jumped on it. Can you believe Pete gave us all that for a guy who hasn't even thrown a pass in an NFL game? We love USC coaches who think they can make it in the NFL!"

Comment

• I still say smart move by both teams. The price was at least Arizona's 2010 3rd rounder, so the Seahawks, not wanting to lose more than 1 pick, only gave up their 2011 3rd. That forces the Seahawks to throw in a bit more, and the only other logical choice, again, without giving up another pick, was to swap 2nd rounders this year. And while 20 spots hurts, they should still be able to grab a quality player.

What other, better choices were there if they thought Whitehurst was their guy?

Edit: Also from the SI article above....

"I'm prejudiced for the guy, because he was our third guy," Smith said. "I think he's going to be a success, and obviously Pete Carroll in Seattle feels the same way. It's a judgment call. But he's a very talented player and he's been a great pro for us. He's a great team guy, and his work ethic and preparation are excellent. Especially for a guy who's not a snap away from playing. We think he's gifted and has all the tools. And he's been in the NFL and with a great program here, with other good quarterbacks.

"I think he's ready for the challenge. He hasn't played in the NFL, due to the circumstances here, but we have to say that about college players coming out in the draft every year. They're getting an outstanding player."
      Last edited by hazzmos; 03-20-2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post
        A.J. Smith on Whitehurst move: "We just fell into it"

"We just fell into it," Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith told SI's Don Banks. The Chargers tendered Whitehurst at a third-round level, happy if the third-stringer quarterback returned to the team.

"But now here comes the activity, and it's between Arizona, which had a standard third-round pick, and Seattle," Smith said. "But there's a little bit of a twist because the Seahawks didn't have a three. So I presented a package to them that I thought was attractive to us, and it's accepted. They wanted the player. And that's how it went down."
        I think what he left out after saying "We fell into it" was "Seattle stepped in it".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cicero View Post
          A 2nd or 3rd round QB can't be considered filling a need, unless that need is backup QB. If you've read Scott's article you see it's really just taking a flier. Since 1992 the only QBs who you can even say would be good enough to take a team to a Superbowl (from rounds 2 and 3) are Brees and Schaub, and Brees was pick 32.
          Pfft, Tony Banks > all.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
            Translation:

AJ Smith on Whitehurst move: "We saw how the Eagles ripped off Pete Carroll with the Tapp trade, so when we saw an opportunity to fleece the Seahawks with one of our marginal players, we jumped on it. Can you believe Pete gave us all that for a guy who hasn't even thrown a pass in an NFL game? We love USC coaches who think they can make it in the NFL!"
            Yeah except the Eagles didn't fleece the Seahawks. They got an average (at best) player for a 4th round pick. Don't even care about Clemmons, the 4th rounder was good enough for Tapp.
            "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

• Also: Scott's 2006 scout report of Whitehurst:

Day one draft grade

Strengths:
              Has excellent size...Great arm strength with an overhead delivery...Good natural athlete who can move around in the pocket a little...Smart and tough with solid intangibles...Efficient in the short passing game...Durable three-year starter with a lot of experience...Still has some upside and potential...Has good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
              Very erratic and has had an up and down career...Makes way too many bad decisions, especially under pressure...Not a threat to run and is basically a pocket passer...Takes unnecessary risks...Needs to be more accurate, especially on deep passes...Holds onto the ball too long...Needs to be coached up and developed.

Notes:
              Son of former Green Bay Packer quarterback David Whitehurst, who played in the NFL from 1976-83...Looked like a potential top prospect early in his career but bottomed out as a junior before bouncing back to a degree in 2005...Has a lot of physical tools to work with and could develop into a starter at the pro level.

find it here: http://web.archive.org/web/200604101...hitehurst.html

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

• On the flip side, if Whitehurst performs and excels, the Seahawks are the ones who got away with a burglary.

Comment

• Burglary oh no we lost our 3rd string QB!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bantx View Post
                    Burglary oh no we lost our 3rd string QB!!!!!!!!!
                    Lol, burgled.

Comment

• Not to beat a dead horse but there are some things in Peter King's column I found pretty interesting;

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...radford/2.html

"I had no idea who Charlie Whitehurst was until there was talk about him. I'd never heard of the guy. I have some friends on the San Diego staff, and they're feeling pretty darn good about the deal."

That's from Jim Mora, most recently head coach of the Seahawks and currently coaching high school ball.

What I want to know is, how is this lack of knowledge possible? Look at the facts.

When Whitehurst was drafted, Mora was in Atlanta. Charlie was picked 2 spots after Atlanta drafted...was Mora not involved in scouting?

Whitehurst played at Clemson and was a big time prospect his first few years. Unless my geography is wrong, Clemson is what 50 miles from Atlanta? Did Mora never open a paper? Listen to local radio? I have a tough time believing Atlanta papers don't cover Clemson football. Is Mora ********? Or just lying due to sour grapes?

Some good Carroll quotes about making all the throws in that article as well.

Comment

• He's just talking out of his ass as usual. Either that or he really didn't know about him, I mean he doesn't know much about football.

I mean, I barely followed college football when Whitehurst came out, but I had atleast heard of him even though I didn't know anything about him.
                        "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

• I'm starting to wonder if Seattle plans to acquire additional 2011 picks. Maybe they trade down or trade away one of their first rounders for a package involving 2011 picks. They may plan to go with Hasselbeck/Whitehurst/whoever this year ann try to acquire a QB in next year's potentially strong QB class, which will include Locker.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloBillsFan View Post
                            On the flip side, if Whitehurst performs and excels, the Seahawks are the ones who got away with a burglary.
                            I think what Charlie does down the road is irrelevant to what went down with the deal. It was highway robbery by the Chargers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                              I'm starting to wonder if Seattle plans to acquire additional 2011 picks. Maybe they trade down or trade away one of their first rounders for a package involving 2011 picks. They may plan to go with Hasselbeck/Whitehurst/whoever this year ann try to acquire a QB in next year's potentially strong QB class, which will include Locker.
                              Maybe it is just me but this seems like a horrible mindset for a front office. Im all for putting in a franchise in a good position for the future but Seattle can not just look forward to Locker and company next year. Whitehurst will be competing with Hasselbeck for the starting job, Carroll has not made this to apparent but he has declared that there will be competition at every position.

As for Mora he really needs to get as far away from the media and any football related events as fast as possible. This man is so incompetent and just amazingly immature, thanks Ruskell for starting the post-Holmgren era with such a stunning start.
                              Originally posted by STARHEATHER
                              the only hot actreeses are adult
                              Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                              players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
                              Alcohol+Draft Forum= Fneuniest timez evverzzz

Comment

• Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                                I'm starting to wonder if Seattle plans to acquire additional 2011 picks. Maybe they trade down or trade away one of their first rounders for a package involving 2011 picks. They may plan to go with Hasselbeck/Whitehurst/whoever this year ann try to acquire a QB in next year's potentially strong QB class, which will include Locker.
                                You know that's my plan but who knows what that brain trust down there in Seattle thinks. They could play Charlie or Matt for two years cut them both and start Locker in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information