No announcement yet.

Seahawks send 3rd round pick for CHARLIE WHITEHURST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has good measurables and his youtube Clemson video is nice, but years behind Billy Volek? Since I don't pay much attention to Charger's preseason games, has anyone seen him play in those?

Comment

Seahawks fans, enjoy the Pete Carroll Experience while you can - he's heading right back to college after he runs your franchise into the ground.

Next trade for the Seahawks: Aaron Curry to the Patriots for a 2010 3rd rounder and a 2011 4th rounder.

Comment

First of all - money is no thing to this team. They do not care if they just pissed away $10 million.

I have no idea if Whitehurst will be worth it - he's still a prospect. For some reason, teams were interested in him.

About him "not being able to beat out Billy Volek" - Since CW was drafted, the Chargers have been one of the top teams in the league. Every single game for them has Championship implications. Even if CW is more talented than Volek (probable), you don't give him the backup job with the solid team they had. Volek's not a bad player himself, and they'd much rather have an experienced player ready to step in for x amount of time in the event of an injury to Rivers.

To me, the Seahawks just invested a draft pick in a prospect. To me, this is the exact same thing as if they just spent a 2nd on Dan LeFevour. You can argue that he wasn't worth it until your blue in the face, but the bottom line is that no one knows how this prospect will turn out.

I've knocked the Seahawks for a lot (Aaron Curry, Housh), but taking a risk to possibly find a young starting QB is not a terrible move right now - it may turn out to be one - but for right now they moved down in a deep draft in the second and got rid of a 3rd next year - draft picks are valued a lot on this draft site - but 2nd and 3rd round picks aren't always parlayed into contributing NFL players.

Bottom line is let's just see. We're all assuming he's not a good quarterback because he sat behind PHILIP RIVERS and a solid, experienced, veteran backup on a perennial Super Bowl contender. Come on now. The only valid argument against the move is to go back to the Clemson tape and prove he was an awful prospect - and once you go there - we are just talking about another prospect - questions, projections, opinions, predictions - but no answers until he sees the field in the NFL.

In my view, this is a low-risk, high reward situation (think back to your batting average for third round picks).
        "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

The Chargers always seem to absolutely rob people in trades this is no exception. Swapping seconds on top of a third round pick in one of the most promising drafts in quite some time. If you just want a backup get Dan Lafevour or Colt McCoy for much less in the draft

Comment

Originally posted by the_dark_knight View Post
            The Chargers always seem to absolutely rob people in trades this is no exception. Swapping seconds on top of a third round pick in one of the most promising drafts in quite some time. If you just want a backup get Dan Lafevour or Colt McCoy for much less in the draft
            Everybody's been robbing the Seahawks lately.

I fully expect Pete Carroll to trade away Aaron Curry for a 3rd rounder soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
              Seahawks fans, enjoy the Pete Carroll Experience while you can - he's heading right back to college after he runs your franchise into the ground.

Next trade for the Seahawks: Aaron Curry to the Patriots for a 2010 3rd rounder and a 2011 4th rounder.
              We're not enjoying the experience as of yet.

The thing that really annoys me is by swapping the seconds they probably just blew chances of getting someone like a Gerhart or maybe even Mathews who most likely will be gobbled up by the Chargers.

I dont expect that much from Whitehurst, Hasselbeck will probably get most of the work and if they are picking high again next year (most likely) they will sober up and draft a real QB for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                We're not enjoying the experience as of yet.

The thing that really annoys me is by swapping the seconds they probably just blew chances of getting someone like a Gerhart or maybe even Mathews who most likely will be gobbled up by the Chargers.

I dont expect that much from Whitehurst, Hasselbeck will probably get most of the work and if they are picking high again next year (most likely) they will sober up and draft a real QB for the future.
                then he's helping you out already with that.
                We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Regardless of what people think of Whitehursts "potential", the 3rd next year should've been MORE than enough to get him in trade.

The only other team kicking Whitehursts tires was AZ, and they had already signed DA when this trade went down!

50% AJ Smith is good, 50% Carroll is a complete tool.

Luckily for AFC West fans this won't really help the Chargers cause AJ hasn't had a good draft in 3-4 years.

Comment

Volek is the ******* truth.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                      then he's helping you out already with that.
                      And if he played for Rutgers he'd be the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

A 5th should of been more then enough, a 3rd was robbery, asking for the swap of 2nd's to me show's Carrol really has no clue what he's doing. Could you have really wanted a guy this bad? Maybe he won't suck as a QB, but it's still overpaying no matter how you look at it.

Schaub had shown in some real games he was a viable starter, he had over 150 attempts and showed alot of poise when he was out there on the field, this is a complete gamble and it's almost the same price.

If Whitehurts is a total bust they are starting out on the wrong foot here, and if they draft Clausen this is an even dumber move. I expect Carrol to make more clueless moves like this one though.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

funny story: if you type 'whitehurst' into google image search, the first picture of charlie is on page two. Page one is full of random facebook pictures.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Maybe the Seahawks thought HEY HE WORKED WITH NORV TURNER FUTURE HOF

Comment

Whitehurst will probably succeed as an NFL QB. He's definitely a better 'prospect' as a vet than the quarterbacks not named Clausen or Bradford, so from that perspective it's a justifiable trade.

Comment

What else was Seattle gonna do to find a potential long term QB? Hope that Bradford or Clausen is still on the board when they pick? That's a major gamble too. Pick some other QB later in the Draft? That's also a gamble. People are ripping the trade, but they can't offer a better solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information