No announcement yet.

Seahawks send 3rd round pick for CHARLIE WHITEHURST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly it's swapping 20 spots in round 2 and giving up a 3 next season to get a QB with some sort of NFL experience (even if it's not game experience) now, and still has some potential. It also gives them a year to evaluate the kid and see if he can give them what they need, especially since Hasselbeck is on his last leg. If he works as a starter, they got themselves a steal, if he doesn't, then they're likely picking in the Top 10 of the 2011 draft, which apparently some people around here feel could be the best QB draft since 83 (and maybe that's the way the Seahawks feel as well), oh, and they overpaid for their backup QB. All in all it's not a major risk to take, I don't see why everyone is going "zOMGz, Carroll's an idiot, Chargers are amazing!" when the Seahawks didn't give up all that much, even if it is for a completely unproven QB.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

This reminds me of Scott Mitchell and Rob Johnson...minus the big money deals.

Can someone tell me why Whitehurst is so valued now compared to when he came out of college

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
        This reminds me of Scott Mitchell and Rob Johnson...minus the big money deals.

Can someone tell me why Whitehurst is so valued now compared to when he came out of college
        This reminds me of (insert meaningless comparison that fits my argument).

Because he's a talented QB and Seattle thinks he has starting potential. He was valued enough to be taken in the third round. Now he has a few years of learning an NFL offense under his belt.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
          Well he was valued as a 3rd rounder when he came out of college and now he has some seasoning. Subsequently, he was traded for a swap in the 2nd round and a 3rd rounder. Seems logical.

Comment

I think the swapping of second round picks should have been a deal breaker but what ever it wasn't my call I hope it works out for Seattle.

Comment

No, Whitehurst is not talented- at least not talented enough for what Seattle gave up.

Let's use the most relevant evidence to see how good Whitehurst is- his only recent snaps in an NFL game, the preseason of this year.

He completed 56% of his passes(35/60), 2 TD's, 2 INT's, 3 Fumbles(2 lost)

Those are garbage numbers against garbage pre-season teams.

Whitehurst blows goats, and the people defending him or this trade are delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by contento View Post
                No, Whitehurst is not talented- at least not talented enough for what Seattle gave up.

Let's use the most relevant evidence to see how good Whitehurst is- his only recent snaps in an NFL game, the preseason of this year.

He completed 56% of his passes(35/60), 2 TD's, 2 INT's, 3 Fumbles(2 lost)

Those are garbage numbers against garbage pre-season teams.

Whitehurst blows goats, and the people defending him or this trade are delusional.
                Right, because preseason stats are the greatest indicator of player potential there is. Seattle needed a young QB and they got one who has a big arm, speedy legs, and years of experience working with the league's preeminent QB guru. Considering how bad this draft is for quarterbacks, it's not like they sold the farm.

Comment

Charlie Whitehurst commands more in a trade than Brady Quinn...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Comment

So I guess the fact that Whitehurst was terrible in the preseason means nothing?

You can ignore or discredit the fact that Whitehurst was not good in the only meaningful game time he's had in a while, but that only really works if you're a river in Egypt.

Young? He's gonna be 28 when next season kicks off. Young QB's are in their early 20's.

and now he's got 2 years to show something behind one of the league's worst OL's and WR corps, and a shoddy running game to boot. good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                      Ok yeah, that is a lot more. But at least with Schaub it looks like they made the right move and he had playing experience. This move seems a bit reckless.
                      If you remember Schaub was lighting it up in the preseason...then he had that three touchdown game against the New England Patriots in 2005. The cat was pretty much out of the bag with him. Whitehurst though...never heard any noise about him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                        Well he was valued as a 3rd rounder when he came out of college and now he has some seasoning. Subsequently, he was traded for a swap in the 2nd round and a 3rd rounder. Seems logical.
                        Try to wipe the smile off your face CC. Arent there highway robbery laws on the books there in California?

Comment

Originally posted by contento View Post
                          So I guess the fact that Whitehurst was terrible in the preseason means nothing?

You can ignore or discredit the fact that Whitehurst was not good in the only meaningful game time he's had in a while, but that only really works if you're a river in Egypt.

His numbers aren't pedestrian in the preseason because he was a middle of the road guy. He sometimes looked great, sometimes chucked it all over the place. Seattle obviously targeted him and views him as a potential starter, and so did Zona. I'm pretty sure you didn't tune in for those ultra exciting Charger preseason matchups, so I don't know how you can diss this pickup.

I don't think they gave up all that much to be honest. A 3rd next year, some position this year. I'm happy to take it, from the Bolt perspective it's still something out of nothing, but let's not pretend like Seattle has banked their whole franchise on this move.

Originally posted by contento
                          and now he's got 2 years to show something behind one of the league's worst OL's and WR corps, and a shoddy running game to boot. good luck with that
                          Wouldn't this be a problem for any QB that gets brought into Seattle?

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                            Try to wipe the smile off your face CC. Arent there highway robbery laws on the books there in California?
                            I never thought we'd get value back for Charlie, it's true. But all the same I think he'll do okay for you guys. Most importantly it lets you spend those 1st rounders on guys who can make an instant impact.

I wonder if I'm biased because of the Carroll connection but honestly Seattle needed somebody in this spot and they could have paid a whole lot more for somebody a lot less capable.

Comment

I'll admit I'm stunned. Whitehurst was terrible last time I saw him live (ironically - against the Seahawks). I had one too many, and booed him loudly. He never impressed in training camps that I attended either, so I don't know what they're seeing in him, at all. I really want to know which tapes they are looking at that lead them to believe he is worth the gamble. Reading over the comments page of the Seattle Times, fans seem pretty furious, and if they had seen what I've seen.....
                              Last edited by San Diego Chicken; 03-18-2010, 03:42 PM.
                              aka KGB Chicken

Comment

The 49ers approve of this trade.
                                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information