Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last season you believe a bunch of teams had a shot to win the Super Bowl.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last season you believe a bunch of teams had a shot to win the Super Bowl.

Hmmm...perhaps 1998?

The 1998 New York Jets
    The 1998 San Francisco 49ers
    The 1998 Atlanta Falcons
    The 1998 Minnesota Vikings
    The 1998 Denver Broncos (obviously)
    The 1998 Green Bay Packers

All of those teams had great seasons that year and could have really beaten anyone. People still talk about those teams to this day. I know in my mind that was the last team for my franchise I believe had a shot to at least getting there.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Originally posted by Ness View Post
    Hmmm...perhaps 1998?

The 1998 New York Jets
    The 1998 San Francisco 49ers
    The 1998 Atlanta Falcons
    The 1998 Minnesota Vikings
    The 1998 Denver Broncos (obviously)
    The 1998 Green Bay Packers

All of those teams had great seasons that year and could have really beaten anyone. People still talk about those teams to this day. I know in my mind that was the last team for my franchise I believe had a shot to at least getting there.
    That's actually pretty interesting. Gonna test my memory

The Jets... Was Neil O'Donnell Quarterback then? We'll I'm not sure exactly what the Jets had... I was a wee 7 year old, and although I do remember watching my Broncos playing in the superbowl, the season was a blur to me. I remember watching Broncos Championship tapes though. Jets fans probably remember the awkward kickoff that was a good 40 yards down the field that the Broncos actually recovered. The Jets lead at halftime but could not prevail.

The 49ers- Unfortunately this is another team I struggle with considering they never matched up with the Broncos (as didn't the Vikings) I do know they were lead by Rice and Young and that in itself made them contenders. 49ers fans remember the Young to T.O. throw.

The Atlanta Falcons. Lead by Trash Talking, loud mouthed, shifty but not fast running back Jamaal Anderson, the Falcons weren't necessarily the favorites to reach the superbowl, and had to squeak by an unbelievable Vikings team. This is a Falcons team that made it farther than any other Falcons team in a while. Team stars included Eugene Robinson (for more than 1 reason) and Jessie Tuggle

THe Vikings. The vikings had a great, great year lead by Quarterback Randall Cunningham, Cris Carter, and a Rookie moss, the vikings tore up the regular season and were truly expected to make it to the superbowl. Even more so than this years vikings. It turned out that the Falcons won when it came down to a last second field goal.

The Broncos... Well I can name you the entire starting lineup from the 1998 team.

The Packers fell victim to my Broncos a year earlier, and Favre surely wanted a taste of victory but he couldnt get it

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      The 49ers- Unfortunately this is another team I struggle with considering they never matched up with the Broncos (as didn't the Vikings) I do know they were lead by Rice and Young and that in itself made them contenders. 49ers fans remember the Young to T.O. throw.
      Errrm well I don't know about not being able to contend with the Broncos. We did smack them upside the head the previous season during the end of the year. Really in my opinion the only team the 49ers could never beat was Green Bay. They were really the only for sure obstacle in our way and in my opinion cost us at least one more Super Bowl. Everyone to this day still says if Garrison Hearst hadn't broken his leg on the first play of the game against the Atlanta Falcons, things may have been drastically different. We had the league's best rushing attack that year.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Last year going into the playoffs ... the Colts and Chargers were on a combined like 16 game winning streak or something. As soon as the Chargers trounced the Broncos to finish the season I knew I didn't want to play them the next week. Then there were the Titans & Steelers, and an argument could be made for the Ravens as well.

In the NFC, the Panthers & Giants both had amazing running games, though the Giants were a shell of themselves without Plax. But the Eagles were strong, and I don't think anyone had the Cardinals in the Super Bowl.

Comment

Any recent yr. that the Steelers didn't win it.....

Comment

I don't understand why this question is relevant, there is only one team that can win it in 2010 :D

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
              I don't understand why this question is relevant, there is only one team that can win it in 2010 :D
              You're absolutely right.

Comment

What do you know, your logo is just a letter!

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                  What do you know, your logo is just a letter!
                  but its 1 letter with 3 colors. Pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                    but its 1 letter with 3 colors. Pretty sweet.
                    But it doesn't even stand for the team name! This is infuriating!

Comment

If someone mentions '98 again I will kick you in the dick.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                      Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

True, they copied the logo from UGA and Grambling.
                        Or UGA and Grambling copied from them?

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                          True, they copied the logo from UGA and Grambling.
                          Or UGA and Grambling copied from them?
                          The Green Bay Packers hold the trademark. They've used their oval G since 1961.

The NFL club says it granted limited permission to use a similar mark to the University of Georgia (in 1964) and to Grambling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2071363

Comment

Errrm well I don't know about not being able to contend with the Broncos. We did smack them upside the head the previous season during the end of the year. Really in my opinion the only team the 49ers could never beat was Green Bay. They were really the only for sure obstacle in our way and in my opinion cost us at least one more Super Bowl. Everyone to this day still says if Garrison Hearst hadn't broken his leg on the first play of the game against the Atlanta Falcons, things may have been drastically different. We had the league's best rushing attack that year.
                            You mean the game where Terrell Davis was hurt, and played maybe a half? In San Francisco I might add, that game was similar to the 1996 game against the Packers that the Broncos got annhilated without John Elway and Packer fans saying they would kick the Broncos butts because they did it last year.
                            And that 1998 Broncos team was about as well rounded on offense as you can get. Defense was stout when they needed to, and had the players to create turnovers.

Comment

If Hurst wouldn't have broken his ankle the Niners would have had a lot better chance of taking down Atlanta.
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information