Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    There are a lot more "locks".

Ladanian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, T.O., Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, I'd add Warner. Brees will have the numbers barring injury and he has a ring. If we're counting Pace, Strahan is obviously in.

Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson...they're all getting in. Etc. People are so hesistant to put today's players in the Hall...but, all listed are of Hall of Fame quality.
    Surely you jest....

Neither are anywhere near a "lock", or even a strong candidate.

I understand they are the league's best TEs, but they've been playing for 7 and 5 years, respectively. Are they on their way to becoming HOF TEs? Yes. But if their careers ended tomorrow, neither would be even close to locks.

Shannon Sharpe played 14 seasons and has significantly better stats then either of them, and isn't in. Hell, Sterling Sharpe played 7 seasons and had better stats than both, and isn't in.

I really think people overrate current players and their perception compared to all time players and HOF worthiness.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae View Post
      Tony Gonzalez.

I don't see how Antonio Gates or Jason Witten are "locks" at this point in their careers though heh.
      Antonio Gates could retire tomorrow and get in. He's one of the greatest offensive TEs of all time already. More receiving TDs than Winslow, Newsome, he's creeping up on Sharpe. He holds numerous receiving records. Most TD by a TE in a season, first TE with back to back 10 Td seasons. And if we want to project some more...he should be the 3rd TE ever to amass 10,000 yards in a career. He's getting in.

As for Witten there is more projection involved. But his numbers at 27 are staggering for a TE. He's right there with Gates in yards...and is one of the most complete TEs to ever play the game. He may very well break the all-time TE reception mark when it's all said and done. I personally dont think he'd catch Gonzalez there but, he should finish 2nd/3rd all-time. His numbers already stack up favorably in comparison to others in the Hall.

edit...

As for Sharpe...he'll get in eventually.
      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-28-2010, 01:58 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

Honestly, I'm not really sure what the point of the hall of fame is.

Comment

Antonio Gates could retire tomorrow and get in. He's one of the greatest offensive TEs of all time already. More receiving TDs than Winslow, Newsome, he's creeping up on Sharpe. He holds numerous receiving records. Most TD by a TE in a season, first TE with back to back 10 Td seasons. And if we want to project some more...he should be the 3rd TE ever to amass 10,000 yards in a career. He's getting in.

As for Witten there is more projection involved. But his numbers at 27 are staggering for a TE. He's right there with Gates in yards...and is one of the most complete TEs to ever play the game. He may very well break the all-time TE reception mark when it's all said and done. I personally dont think he'd catch Gonzalez there but, he should finish 2nd/3rd all-time. His numbers already stack up favorably in comparison to others in the Hall.

edit...

As for Sharpe...he'll get in eventually.
          Exactly. Sharpe should get in...eventually.

He had a better career than both Witten and Gates have up until now. You can't say that if they retire tomorrow, they will be locks to get in while Sharpe isn't in.

This isn't about projecting their careers. I agree, they will both be HOF TEs when all is said and done, but the fact is right now they aren't. Gates doesn't have 10K yards, and WItten doesn't have the receptions record....yet.

I think you are focusing too much on what they project to be and not what they are. When looking at the HOF, they won't say, "Oh, he was going to break these records, but his career ended early." You can't look at anything that would happen past today, only their past accomplishments, if you are going to say their careers are done.

Jason Witten- 7 years, 523 receptions, 5965 yards, 27 TDs.
          Antonio Gates- 7 years, 479 receptions, 6223 yards, 59 TDs.
          Sterling Sharpe- 7 years, 595 receptions, 8134 yards, 65 TDs.

Yes, that's not even Shannon Sharpe, the good Sharpe brother. Sterling Sharpe isn't in the HOF, either. If their seasons ended tomorrow, what makes you think Witten and Gates are HOF locks again?

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
            Exactly. Sharpe should get in...eventually.

He had a better career than both Witten and Gates have up until now. You can't say that if they retire tomorrow, they will be locks to get in while Sharpe isn't in.

This isn't about projecting their careers. I agree, they will both be HOF TEs when all is said and done, but the fact is right now they aren't. Gates doesn't have 10K yards, and WItten doesn't have the receptions record....yet.

I think you are focusing too much on what they project to be and not what they are. When looking at the HOF, they won't say, "Oh, he was going to break these records, but his career ended early." You can't look at anything that would happen past today, only their past accomplishments, if you are going to say their careers are done.

Jason Witten- 7 years, 523 receptions, 5965 yards, 27 TDs.
            Antonio Gates- 7 years, 479 receptions, 6223 yards, 59 TDs.
            Sterling Sharpe- 7 years, 595 receptions, 8134 yards, 65 TDs.

Yes, that's not even Shannon Sharpe, the good Sharpe brother. Sterling Sharpe isn't in the HOF, either. If their seasons ended tomorrow, what makes you think Witten and Gates are HOF locks again?
            I was responding more to the one posters post about there being only a few locks total. Not if their careers ended tomorrow. However, I def. see Gates getting in, if he retired tomorrow. His numbers do stack up right now, yards and TDs. He's pretty much a much better scoring Kellen Winslow. He's one of the greatest threats the league has ever seen.

Also, Sterling was WR....so yeah.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

Its the hall of fame not the hall of good for a few seasons.

Comment

None of those guys would get in, I dont think its even close for any of them at this point.

Comment

Yeah this thread is pretty pointless. No one will get in based off a short career with good numbers. Its all about prolonged success.

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
                  2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

I mean Revis and Johnson really? REALLY? 3 years in the league and HoF worthy already? Dude please!

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
                    2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

I was responding more to the one posters post about there being only a few locks total. Not if their careers ended tomorrow. However, I def. see Gates getting in, if he retired tomorrow. His numbers do stack up right now, yards and TDs. He's pretty much a much better scoring Kellen Winslow. He's one of the greatest threats the league has ever seen.

Also, Sterling was WR....so yeah.
                      Yea, my bad. Since he's the worse Sharpe brother, I didn't really pay attention.

I still don't think Witten and Gates are HOF as of tomorrow, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Donovan McNabb:

Five Pro Bowls
                        Top 25 All Time: Passing Attempts, Completions, Yards, Passing TDs, Rating, Passing Yards Per Game, Passing Attempts Per Game, Passes Completed Per Game
                        Third lowest INT% All Time Among Qualifiers (Want to win a bar bet? The only guys ahead of him are Aaron Rodgers and David Garrard).
                        Probably Two More Years from Top Ten Ever In Passing Yards and Touchdowns
                        One Of The Most Prolific Rushing QBs Ever (3,300 Yards, 28 TDs and Counting)
                        82-45-1 As A Starter

Does he get in? Does he need to pad his resume? And if the answer is no, would the answer be yes had he won a Superbowl?

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                          Donovan McNabb:

Five Pro Bowls
                          Top 25 All Time: Passing Attempts, Completions, Yards, Passing TDs, Rating, Passing Yards Per Game, Passing Attempts Per Game, Passes Completed Per Game
                          Third lowest INT% All Time Among Qualifiers (Want to win a bar bet? The only guys ahead of him are Aaron Rodgers and David Garrard).
                          82-45-1 As A Starter

Does he get in? Does he need to pad his resume? And if the answer is no, would the answer be yes had he won a Superbowl?
                          guh we talk about McNabb and the HoF so much. The difference with those talks is that most people assume he'll play at a high level for another 2-3 years.

McNabb doesn't deserve to be in the HoF right now but he's really close in my opinion. And no, winning a Superbowl wouldn't change my answer because I believe Superbowl victories are a team accomplishment outside of when a QB just dominates the game (I'm thinking about like Steve Young's SB win).

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                            guh we talk about McNabb and the HoF so much. The difference with those talks is that most people assume he'll play at a high level for another 2-3 years.

McNabb doesn't deserve to be in the HoF right now but he's really close in my opinion. And no, winning a Superbowl wouldn't change my answer because I believe Superbowl victories are a team accomplishment outside of when a QB just dominates the game (I'm thinking about like Steve Young's SB win).
                            McNabb isn't close to being a Hall of Famer. That's what so annoying about the Hall of Fame debates. The HOF is for great players, not good one's. And, McNabb is a good player.

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                              Donovan McNabb:

Five Pro Bowls
                              82-45-1 As A Starter

Still no.

And talking about Top 25 all time in all these statistics is fine as long as you take into account the direction the league has gone in terms of passing. Much more of it and rules that make it easier to do so. Every generation of QBs has more stats than the one preceding it, but that doesn't mean they are better players as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenson86 View Post
                                Some guys I think are:-
                                Andre Johnson
                                CJ2K :D
                                Adrian Peterson
                                Larry Fitzgerald
                                Patrick Willis
                                DeMarcus Ware
                                Jared Allen
                                Darrelle Revis
                                Nnamdi Asamougha