No announcement yet.

Best Defensive Scheme in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have the right personnel, it is probably the Cover 2. After all, look at the two teams in the superbowl

Comment

There is no best scheme.

It depends on your personnel, the other teams' personnel, and what plays/formations they run.

Comment

46 Bear. More teams would run it if it didn't take an impossible amount of extremely talented LB's to do so.

Although Mike Sherman's 0 scheme was pretty cool too, we copied it for my high school team back in the day.
        Last edited by Non_Sequitur; 03-13-2007, 05:58 AM.

Comment

The 5-2 and the 4-4, nah really the 4-3

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

We run the 3-3-5, and as an OLineman, it sucks to go against with all the athletic Saftey LB tweeners and then u have to read the LB and Safeties. Im glad i dont have to go against it but its very fun to play as. Personally i like the 46, its dominate against the run and if have athletic enough DB it could stop some key Passing Down plays

Comment

If I had the choice, I'd run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid like the Ravens and Fins.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

Comment

3-4/4-3 hybrid

Comment

The best scheme would be something unique and something that a team has the personel to run effectively. I think the 3-4 (really more of a formation) and the tampa 2 are going to be less efective in the future. Too many teams run it now, and the QBs and offensive coordinators will find a way to beat it.

I would not mind seeing a more of a 5-2 formation, just becuase I find it interesting to watch.

Comment

I voted other because the best defensive system in the NFL is the "Organized Chaos" hybrid Defense that Rex Ryan has created, developed, and perfected.
                    HALL OF FAMER!
                    PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
                    JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
                      I voted other because the best defensive system in the NFL is the "Organized Chaos" hybrid Defense that Rex Ryan has created, developed, and perfected.
                      yup yup

youve got to love that name

ORGANIZED
                      CHAOS

Go Ravens!

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                        There is no best scheme.

It depends on your personnel, the other teams' personnel, and what plays/formations they run.
                        This is true, but I still voted anyway for 4-3 because I think it is the easiest to run, no matter what your personnel is.
                        Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

You knew I had to post in this thread right?

The 3-4 is the ****. W00t w00t!

But in all seriousness, let me explain in detail why I feel the way I feel.

First and foremost, the poll is far too basic. Youre referring to formations, and the formations' individual scheme can vary greatly between coaching styles. The 4-3 has many variations, Cover 2 being an example of it. Then you have the 46, and hybrids etc, its too basic of a definition to define just as 4-3.

My favorite defense is the 3-4 base that Bill Parcells and Bill Bellichick run. The 2 gap 3-4 that is based on LB zone coverages and man coverages on the outside. Its passive in nature, but can be aggressive when need be. It doesn't live and die with the blitz, but can still manufacture an effective pass rush.

And its versatility makes it a good front against any offense. It has had success against great offenses of many types, the 49ers WCO of the 80s, the Buffalo Bills no huddle Air Coryell, the Colts no huddle, the 2 TE smashmouth offense of Joe Gibbs....its been proven to be an effective scheme against any type of offense thrown at it.

Thats why its the best. Its won 5 SBs and its effectiveness against any offensive scheme makes it better than any defense. Cover 2 schemes are vulnerable to the Air Coryell and 2 TE power run game, the 46 is vulnerable to the WCO, the conventional 4-3 and its variations are often too difficult to build with little flaws because its difficult finding elite talent in every position of the conventional 4-3, and its basic fronts are less confusing to Qbs.

The 3-4 is also better against the run, which is ultimately what defense is all about. I can go on and on, I love talking Xs and Os of the game. My favorite schemes of all time are Bill Parcell's 3-4, Buddy Ryan's 46, Tom Landry's Flex 4-3, and the hybrid defense that Denver ran in the early 80s (to this day, that was probably the most complex defense Ive seen. They used so many situational players and player substitutions in different fronts, its not even funny. Brilliant defense).

Comment

Originally posted by cardsalltheway View Post
                            If I had the choice, I'd run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid like the Ravens and Fins.
                            agreed, pats run it (sometimes) and jets too

Comment

The Ravens defense.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

too bad rex ryan isnt staying in baltimore past next season...although id love to see it, because what he does is amazing, someone will offer too much money to be a HC, and to bring that scheme to their team...

hell i would of welcomed him into dallas this yr as the HC, im curious as to how they draft this year for that defense

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information