Best Defensive Scheme in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    too bad rex ryan isnt staying in baltimore past next season...although id love to see it, because what he does is amazing, someone will offer too much money to be a HC, and to bring that scheme to their team...

hell i would of welcomed him into dallas this yr as the HC, im curious as to how they draft this year for that defense
    well even though he probably will be gone soon im sure there is one assistant trying to learn it so we can continue to run it

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

I'd run a 2-5. Two huge nose tackles, then 5 LB's.

In the NFL I'd say the 3-4 zone blitz like Dick LeBeau

Comment

Here are the Wikipedia descriptions of the FB-34 defense that I love, and also the ZB34 defense

The 3-4 defense was originally devised by Bud Wilkinson at the University of Oklahoma in the late 1940s [17]. Former Patriots and Oklahoma coach Chuck Fairbanks is credited with being a major figure in first bringing the 3-4 defense to the NFL in 1974 [18]. Patriots defensive coordinator Hank Bullough made significant further innovations to the system [19]. Parcells was linebackers coach under Ron Erhardt as head coach of the Patriots in 1980 (after Fairbanks left for Colorado in 1978 and Bullough lost out on the head coaching position). When Parcells returned to the Giants as defensive coordinator under Ray Perkins in 1981, he brought the 3-4 defense with him.

Bill Belichick was initially exposed to the 3-4 defense while working as an assistant under Red Miller, head coach of the Denver Broncos and a former Patriots offensive coordinator under Fairbanks. Joe Collier was the defensive coordinator under Red Miller at the time [20], and his orange crush defense was very successful at stifling opposing offenses. The Broncos had decided to adopt the 3-4 in 1977. Bill Belichick subsequently refined his understanding of the 3-4 as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator under Parcells with the Giants. Belichick returned the 3-4 defense back to New England when he become coach of the team in 2000 [21]. Romeo Crennel subsequently became defensive coordinator for the team.

The New England Patriots run a modified base 3-4 Chuck Fairbanks - Hank Bullough system [10] installed by Bill Belichick. The term 3-4 means that their base formation consists of 3 defensive linemen, 4 linebackers, and 4 defensive backs. It is believed that this gives the defense the greatest amount of flexibility because the linebackers are capable of doing any of the following: rushing the quarterback, tackling runners or dropping into coverage. At times the Patriots will shade their defensive linemen different ways, creating "over" or "under" defenses. Over and under defenses simply refer to the shift of the defensive linemen to the strong or weak side of the offense, respectively, and the rotation of the linebackers in the opposite direction.

--------------------
        The 3-4 zone blitz defense was developed by Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. It commonly calls upon linemen to be mobile enough to drop back into zone coverage in place of blitzing linebackers [25]. Elements of the 3-4 zone blitz defense have been incorporated over time into the modern Phillips 3-4.
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

showing the 3-3-5 no love

i would love to see a coach run that

Comment

The 3-4 that Wade Phillips runs. And now we have it, HAHAHA!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TNewFan41 View Post
              The 3-4 that Wade Phillips runs. And now we have it, HAHAHA!!!!!!
              thats true man... he is a legend in his own time.

Comment

Wade Phillips and Demarcus Ware will be scary

Comment

If you have the right players the 3-4 can be hard to get around.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Tampa 2

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

How can you leave 46 off?

Comment

What I have learned over the years, any front can work with the right personnel. No scheme is perfect. I've seen the ugly side of the 3-4 defense when it doesn't have the correct players to operate it. Atlanta had the worst defense in football when Wade Phillips was here. He goes to San Diego, now he's a defensive guru or something.
                        Last edited by Shiver; 03-13-2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                          If you don't know what the FB 34 is then don't ever quote me again.
                          You act like you know everything. If you knew half as much as you thought you did, then you would be a genious.

I know I'm not a genious. That's why I ask questions, and I can care less if you think they're dumb or not.

Comment

Why did you have to make your the 3-4 is all about being sexy comment then? WHY?
                            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                              Why did you have to make your the 3-4 is all about being sexy comment then? WHY?
                              Because that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Comment

It's one sexy opinion Microphon200

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information