Best Defensive Scheme in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
    I voted other because the best defensive system in the NFL is the "Organized Chaos" hybrid Defense that Rex Ryan has created, developed, and perfected.
    BEST DEFENSIVE SCHEME IN THE NFL! 2006 BALTIMORE RAVENS #1 RATED DEFENSE.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by Microphon200 View Post
      Because that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
      Your opinion reeks of Sex Panther......GET THE FIRE HOSE! :D

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Comment

As mentioned I love the 3-4 hybrid. The versatility of the players makes it very fun to watch. The Dolphins had the ideal personnel for it last season with players like Kevin Carter, Jason Taylor, and Channing Crowder.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloDraftGeek View Post
          How can you leave 46 off?
          Because the West Coast Offense has basically made the 46 non-effective.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
            Your opinion reeks of Sex Panther......GET THE FIRE HOSE! :D
            Why am I a sex panther now?

Comment

Originally posted by Microphon200 View Post
              Why am I a sex panther now?
              Someone has never seen Anchorman.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
              <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I voted other. I love Jim Bates' defensive scheme, with his stacked LBs and no real difference between the safeties, or the LBs for that matter. He did great things in Miami and vastly improved GB's defense. I'll be watching the Broncos defense to see if they also improve a lot under Bates.
                The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

Comment

Originally posted by johbur View Post
                  I voted other. I love Jim Bates' defensive scheme, with his stacked LBs and no real difference between the safeties, or the LBs for that matter. He did great things in Miami and vastly improved GB's defense. I'll be watching the Broncos defense to see if they also improve a lot under Bates.
                  im excited to see that defence, he said he wants a "lights out" defense.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

I feel 3-4 is the best but its more difficult to find players to fit in it but once you fit the right type of player the system makes them look alot better than they actually are.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

what about the 46 thats a sweet d.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                        Here are the Wikipedia descriptions of the FB-34 defense that I love, and also the ZB34 defense

The 3-4 defense was originally devised by Bud Wilkinson at the University of Oklahoma in the late 1940s [17]. Former Patriots and Oklahoma coach Chuck Fairbanks is credited with being a major figure in first bringing the 3-4 defense to the NFL in 1974 [18]. Patriots defensive coordinator Hank Bullough made significant further innovations to the system [19]. Parcells was linebackers coach under Ron Erhardt as head coach of the Patriots in 1980 (after Fairbanks left for Colorado in 1978 and Bullough lost out on the head coaching position). When Parcells returned to the Giants as defensive coordinator under Ray Perkins in 1981, he brought the 3-4 defense with him.

Bill Belichick was initially exposed to the 3-4 defense while working as an assistant under Red Miller, head coach of the Denver Broncos and a former Patriots offensive coordinator under Fairbanks. Joe Collier was the defensive coordinator under Red Miller at the time [20], and his orange crush defense was very successful at stifling opposing offenses. The Broncos had decided to adopt the 3-4 in 1977. Bill Belichick subsequently refined his understanding of the 3-4 as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator under Parcells with the Giants. Belichick returned the 3-4 defense back to New England when he become coach of the team in 2000 [21]. Romeo Crennel subsequently became defensive coordinator for the team.

The New England Patriots run a modified base 3-4 Chuck Fairbanks - Hank Bullough system [10] installed by Bill Belichick. The term 3-4 means that their base formation consists of 3 defensive linemen, 4 linebackers, and 4 defensive backs. It is believed that this gives the defense the greatest amount of flexibility because the linebackers are capable of doing any of the following: rushing the quarterback, tackling runners or dropping into coverage. At times the Patriots will shade their defensive linemen different ways, creating "over" or "under" defenses. Over and under defenses simply refer to the shift of the defensive linemen to the strong or weak side of the offense, respectively, and the rotation of the linebackers in the opposite direction.

--------------------
                        The 3-4 zone blitz defense was developed by Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. It commonly calls upon linemen to be mobile enough to drop back into zone coverage in place of blitzing linebackers [25]. Elements of the 3-4 zone blitz defense have been incorporated over time into the modern Phillips 3-4.
                        That failed to mention how BP innovated the scheme by having a standard pass rusher out of the LB core. Before him, all 4 LBs blitzed an equal number of times. That was probably the single most important piece to the 3-4 puzzle. Thats what made it a reliable base defense. Before that, it was more of a situational package. It did elude to how Bellichick refined his craft under BP, which makes me a happy camper. Too many times we credit Bellichick too much for innovating the scheme. He runs the same scheme BP ran, he's the modern version of BP. People forget that.

Before that, Denver (the orange crush, one of my favorite schemes ever) used the 3-4 in a situational package. They ran more of a hybrid defense. It was heavily based on situational players that were more adapted to thrive in certain packages. He did a lot of substitutions in that defense. There really wasn't a no huddle team back then to take advantage of his scheme's dependency on situational players. Its to this day, probably the most complex defense I ever watched tape of. Prior to him, the 3-4 was more of a pass defense. It was never a realistic standard base until BP changed the game with LT.

That scheme, the one mentioned above, is my favorite. I credit BP for it because the modern 3-4 you see today that Bellichick runs is essentially BP's scheme. Of course credit goes to the creators of the scheme as well.

I like the ZB 3-4 because they still primarily 2 gap. Im not a huge fan of Phillip's scheme. Its essentially a blitz heavy 4-3 that disguises its blitzes in a 3-4 shell. Not really a true 3-4. Im a 3-4 purist, so Im not too big on Wade's scheme.

Comment

Ill go 3-4 becuz the teams that use it have nice defences

Ravens, Patriots, Steelers, Dolphins(Their defense is pretty good) The Browns defense is improving

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                            Someone has never seen Anchorman.
                            Someone hasn't seen Anchorman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

i always liked the 34 and im stoked the cowboys started using it

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                                too bad rex ryan isnt staying in baltimore past next season...although id love to see it, because what he does is amazing, someone will offer too much money to be a HC, and to bring that scheme to their team...

hell i would of welcomed him into dallas this yr as the HC, im curious as to how they draft this year for that defense

Well Jeff Fitzgerald our LB coach has been attached to Rex Ryan's hip since he was hired and he is gonna be a great DC for us in 08.
                                HALL OF FAMER!
                                PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
                                JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information