Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are young players called busts so quickly now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I dont know, OP, ask Vernon Davis.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Because people are way to impatient now and days. Just like with everything else in life.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
        Originally posted by Borat
        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

in all fairness gholsten has busted in the 3-4

Comment

I think the inflated rookie wages has a lot to do with it. The coaching staff can't really defend not playing a guy who's earning a lot more than the other guys, especially since he was drafted high to replace them. Also, the fans want to see them play. We pay for their salary in the end, and we want to see our money in action. So there's basically no way a coach can defend not playing a high draft pick. My guess is, that when rookie salaries get down to a decent level coaches will bench them and have them learn from the vets.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
            I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
              Because players are picked to be good now or at least within their first 2-3 years not 7 years down the road with a different team.
              This.

I think it's this factor mixed with the early success of other top rookies. People that follow the draft tend to predict how good a rookie does based on their predictions throughout the first couple of years. There are plenty of rookies that will make impacts 4-5 years down the road rather than 2 years. Carson Palmer was called a bust after his 2nd year (1st year on the bench) and look how he has turned out.

On the Vernon Gholston case, he's a bust. He was way overrated while he was at Ohio State. He may have had biceps as big as my head (literally, he does, I sat next to him when I first moved to Columbus at the Eddie George Grill). But his technique was sloppy and he should have only been a 4-3 DE to begin with. Who knows, maybe Gholston will flourish as a 4-3 DE someday, but for now, he's a bust.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                I dont know, OP, ask Vernon Davis.
                Exactly. If a player doesn't become a star immediately then bust talk is gonna mount really quickly. Vernon Davis was limited because of of QB play, how he was used and he was developing still. Then in his 4th year he blows up and people act like he was always going to be that good, when previously people were saying "bust" under their breath.

I remember when people were saying that Aaron Rodgers was a bust. He didn't have a real chance to play but people still called him a bust and said " I guess we see why he fell in the draft now." Its ridiculous.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Alex Smith will be the next to defy the odds and remove the "bust" label. It's becoming a common theme in San Fran these days.

Comment

Mainly because there's a different between not playing well, and just not playing at all. If the coaches don't think your ready to even see the field at all, then your probably no where close to being a good player.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                      Alex Smith will be the next to defy the odds and remove the "bust" label. It's becoming a common theme in San Fran these days.
                      Uh, no. I love my Niners, but I do not see Alex Smith living up to #1 overall status.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

It could have something to do with the increased exposure that the draft gets every year. People fall in love with the future so much sometimes that they really hold the past in contempt. Every year some guy is supposed to be "the best to come out in a long time," and to do that some people who didn't immediately shine are looked down upon to boost the stock of new guys. They want that new guy so bad that they are ready to give up on that old guy who disappointed them.

Young guys having success early is also a factor. When Peterson and CJ come out to great success early on, some others drafted high are expected to have early success too.
                        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                        ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          Uh, no. I love my Niners, but I do not see Alex Smith living up to #1 overall status.
                          That's not what he said he said he would play well enough to lose the "bust" label, he may never live up to that pick but he can shake the bust talk.

Comment

i cant wait for everyone to apologize for immediately hating on dhb.

Comment

it is because of the immediate need to win now that owners, fans, media types put on teams and teams put on themselves.
                              Originally posted by njx9
                              i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

We are all arm chair GM's with nothing better to do that's why.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information