Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are young players called busts so quickly now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are young players called busts so quickly now?

Just curious...I see it thrown out for Vernon Gholston 24/7...Derrick Harvey is already destined to be nothing...I've seen it for Adam Carriker...I heard it about Dwayne Robertson, who was actually a damn good player when he wasn't the only legit DT on the roster....I hear it about Matt Leinart (not a fan, but he's in the right place to start a QB career)...Brady Quinn (kind of like Leinart, heading to a top QB/offensive coach IMO)....

These are guys who were called bust like a year or two into their careers. What is with that? I see the same thing being talked about with Taylor Mays, who will probably struggle early in his career but ultimately turn out to be a pretty good starter...

When was Dwayne Robertson a damn good player? When he played for the Jets? Cause to me he was still the 4th best player on that Dline. Right behind Abraham, Ellis and Ferguson.

Gholston has like 6 tackles, not sacks... tackles. Thats why he's a bust.

Harvey was going to be a 10+ sack guy, he's not. So he's a bust to JAC but not the worst player in the world.

Carriker played like 6 games in the last two years... Thats why he's a bust.

Comment

Because people root for other teams young talent to fail.
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
        When was Dwayne Robertson a damn good player? When he played for the Jets? Cause to me he was still the 4th best player on that Dline. Right behind Abraham, Ellis and Ferguson.

Gholston has like 6 tackles, not sacks... tackles. Thats why he's a bust.

Harvey was going to be a 10+ sack guy, he's not. So he's a bust to JAC but not the worst player in the world.

Carriker played like 6 games in the last two years... Thats why he's a bust.
        In '04, his second year in the league. A few coaches called him the best DT they faced that year...Cowher was one IIRC...then we let Ferguson go and put James Reed at the nose instead. Then his knee went arthritic at like 24...

Gholston's 24 and been in the league a whole 2 years in a couple weeks.

Your view on Harvey could be the same one some FO takes on Gholston.

Carriker's been misused in St. Louis as a NT/DT when he's more or a DE/DT. There's still a whole lot of upside there.

There's been a ton of players who've shown up and solid careers despite not blowing up their first two seasons. I don't get where this view came from...OK that's a lie...I don't know why it's so dominant.

Because people root for other teams young talent to fail.
        Yes, but this is JEts fans calling Gholston and Robertson busts...Rams fans (I guess) calling Carriker a bust...Leinart...etc...
        Last edited by SenorGato; 03-31-2010, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Because people are entirely way too impatient and want to predict the future so they can prepare themselves for it or just massage their ego when it's other teams' talent, some fans even root against their own team because they don't like management but that's really ****** up and probably just a new york thing.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
          JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
          Originally posted by abaddon41_80
          Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
          Originally posted by JBCX
          Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

It's just cause the players are put into bad positions. They get to a bad team with no talent around them and what are they going to do? They are going to suck cause they are the only good players. Although, Brady Quinn has no excuse, he had Edwards for a long time, but I guess he wasn't really given much of a chance. Oh **** I'm talking in circles.

sig by fenikz
            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
            You are just a terrible person.
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I have an iPhone.

Comment

The answer is ESPN

Comment

Gholston, top 6 pick with almost as many tackles in his career as Jerod Mayo had in a game.

They may be poor fits, but the teams that draft the players are usually the ones losing too much to call them anything else

If Gholston doesn't perform this year, the Jets will lose a 6th overall pick. There is no way you can call him anything but. He'll be cut if he doesn't have more than 24 tackles this year.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that there are also alot of young players excelling their first few years. Peterson, Johnson, Harvin, Ryan, Flacco, Heyward bey, etc......

Originally posted by WMD
                  Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                  Originally posted by gpngc
                  I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Because players are picked to be good now or at least within their first 2-3 years not 7 years down the road with a different team.

Comment

I think it mainly comes down to people who don't really know that much about their teams (or other teams for that matter) check stats and if they don't see much, they immediately yell bust.

I remember some people saying Mendenhall was a bust prior to this year because he did squat in the 4 games he was healthy last year.

People are calling Ziggy Hood a bust because he's not doing anything so far. For starters, he's a 3-4 DE, so he's not going to get that many stats, add in the fact that he was #4 or #5 on the depth chart, and people yell bust.

IMO, the bust label has to come only when a player has been given enough opportunities to prove himself and he constantly fails.

Brady Quinn hasn't had that many opportunities. Matt Leinart hasn't had that many opportunities. Those guys might not have had great careers thus far, but could still develop.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                        I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that there are also alot of young players excelling their first few years. Peterson, Johnson, Harvin, Ryan, Flacco, Heyward bey, etc......
                        I spotted it! I win!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiFan24 View Post
                          I spotted it! I win!
                          Haha, I was just about to quote it and bold the uh....part in question.

To the topic though, a lot of the young guys who seem to get labeled as busts come into the league with HUGE expectations placed upon them, fairly or not. A great example is Reggie Bush. I distinctively remember the "bust" word being throw around when he failed to score a TD in his first couple of games...

And to a guy like Gholston, I keep hearing how not only was he playing badly, he didn't seem to be trying very hard to get better. I've also heard a few things saying that he is trying to improve, but they make up a small fraction of the bust talk.

Plus, in today's NFL, you just cannot sit for a year to learn anymore. Not just first round picks, but even 2nd and 3rd rounders get called busts or wasted picks if they fail to crack the starting lineup and make impacts as rookies. Once upon a time, rookies only started on the worst teams, and they were usually the top draft pick, uber-talented kind of guys.

I can't think of any NFL coaches off the top of my head that fit this, but in some other sports, there are coaches you hear about that never player rookies, or play them very little, even if they play well in limited time. I think Gregg Popovich of the Spurs is someone I've heard doesn't like to play rookies for example.

So it's a combination of a lot of things really.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                            Haha, I was just about to quote it and bold the uh....part in question.

To the topic though, a lot of the young guys who seem to get labeled as busts come into the league with HUGE expectations placed upon them, fairly or not. A great example is Reggie Bush. I distinctively remember the "bust" word being throw around when he failed to score a TD in his first couple of games...

And to a guy like Gholston, I keep hearing how not only was he playing badly, he didn't seem to be trying very hard to get better. I've also heard a few things saying that he is trying to improve, but they make up a small fraction of the bust talk.

Plus, in today's NFL, you just cannot sit for a year to learn anymore. Not just first round picks, but even 2nd and 3rd rounders get called busts or wasted picks if they fail to crack the starting lineup and make impacts as rookies. Once upon a time, rookies only started on the worst teams, and they were usually the top draft pick, uber-talented kind of guys.

I can't think of any NFL coaches off the top of my head that fit this, but in some other sports, there are coaches you hear about that never player rookies, or play them very little, even if they play well in limited time. I think Gregg Popovich of the Spurs is someone I've heard doesn't like to play rookies for example.

So it's a combination of a lot of things really.
                            The giants still do it with some of our kids. Mario was redshirted, as were Barden, Beckum, Beatty and Thomas.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                            JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                            Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                            Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                            Originally posted by JBCX
                            Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

I think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that the bigger name guys who go early are expected to contribute right away and when they don't they're labeled as busts.

One example is Dorsey, who was expected to help turn our defense into a dominant unit, but who didn't have much impact his first year. When we switched to a 3-4 a lot of people seemed to write him off, but he has worked hard and actually seems to be a good player at the position.

I'd say give everyone a few years to get acclimated to the pro game. It's different than college and some people (and especially some positions) take longer to adjust.

Originally posted by fenikz
                              His soft D really turns me off
                              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information