2000's SB Playoff CHAMPIONSHIP '00 Ravens vs '03 Pats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000's SB Playoff CHAMPIONSHIP '00 Ravens vs '03 Pats

Since this is the Championship things will be done a lil differently.

1 point per vote
    3 points for a general posted argument
    4 points for a great argument
    5 points for a post that breaks down matchups

Welcome to Jerry Land for the epic 2000's SB winning team championship game.

The 2000 Ravens rode that epic defense to beat beat 3 teams including the 06 Colts, the 04 Pats, and the 05 Steelers ? Here are the starting lineups.

Baltimore Position
    OFFENSE
    Qadry Ismail WR
    Jonathan Ogden LT
    Edwin Mulitalo LG
    Jeff Mitchell C
    Mike Flynn RG
    Harry Swayne RT
    Shannon Sharpe TE
    Brandon Stokley WR
    Trent Dilfer QB
    Jamal Lewis RB
    Sam Gash FB

DEFENSE
    Rob Burnett LE
    Sam Adams LDT
    Tony Siragusa RDT
    Michael McCrary RE
    Peter Boulware LOLB
    Ray Lewis MLB
    Jamie Sharper ROLB
    Duane Starks LCB
    Chris McAlister RCB
    Kim Herring SS
    Rod Woodson FS

head coach Brian Billick
    OC Matt Cavanaugh
    DC Marvin Lewis

The 2003 are a more balanced team who beat the 2002 Bucs, and the 2001 Pats to get here today.

2003 New England
    OFFENSE
    WR Deion Branch
    LT Matt Light
    LG Russ Hochstein
    C Dan Koppen
    RG Joe Andruzzi
    RT Tom Ashworth
    TE Daniel Graham
    WR Troy Brown
    QB Tom Brady
    RB Antowain Smith
    FB Larry Centers
    DEFENSE
    LE Bobby Hamilton
    NT Ted Washington
    RE Richard Seymour
    LOLB Willie McGinest
    LILB Tedy Bruschi
    RILB Roman Phifer
    ROLB Mike Vrabel
    LCB Ty Law
    RCB Tyrone Poole
    SS Rodney Harrison
    FS Eugene Wilson

Head Coach Bill Belicheck
    OC : Charlie Weiss
    DC: Romeo Crenel

I'd like some good discussion going on here and LETS GET IT ON!

THIS WHY WE AMERICAN FOOTBALL
    2003 Pats
    29.03%
    2000 Ravens
    70.97%

The poll is expired.

Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
    oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Seriously no discussion?
    Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Comment

I honestly think that the Pats would win this one most of the time. I think that that Ravens team is getting a little overrated at this point. I still voted Ravens because Im a homer though.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

As much as I like Tom Brady, I cant really see that offense doing a whole lot of damage against that Ravens defense. I mean...Deion Branch and Troy Brown? Not exactly terrifying offensive weapons, particularly against one of the most impressive defensive units of all time. Smith had his moments in his heydey, but I really wouldnt expect any production from him in this game with Ray in his prime and that defensive line letting him roam absolutely free.

The Patriots defense was great as well, and though they were a little aged, they were at the top of their game at this point. However, the Ravens did have a really strong running game and I personally think their offensive weapons might even be better then the Pats in this game. Clearly Dilfer isnt Brady, but he was one of those QBs who wasnt going to lose you a game, and I wouldnt expect this to be any different.

Nice matchup, but Ive gotta say the Ravens.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I just got done watching all four of the Ravens playoff games that year.

No one was going to score on that team. Every unit down to special teams had swagger. They would get one or two big plays a game out of the offense and that was all they needed.

Comment

BuMP.............................

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Comment

The 03 Patriots were a solid team but they needed a last second field goal to beat a solid, though unspectacular, Carolina team. The Ravens defense was one of the best all time. They proved they didn't need a great offense when their defense was able to swarm opposing QB's and create turnovers. If this game is played ten times, I see Baltimore winning eight of them.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                The 03 Patriots were a solid team but they needed a last second field goal to beat a solid, though unspectacular, Carolina team. The Ravens defense was one of the best all time. They proved they didn't need a great offense when their defense was able to swarm opposing QB's and create turnovers. If this game is played ten times, I see Baltimore winning eight of them.
                I see Baltimore winning ten of them personally.

Comment

I think I might give the slight edge to the '03 Pats in this match-up though I could realistically see either team winning it.

In 2003 the Patriots offense wasn't exactly stellar, but Burnett and McCrary I believe could be limited in their impact by Ashworth and Light who both played well that season. While Siragusa and Adams were both immovable objects againt the run, the '03 Pats offense essentially relied on a good screen game to act as their running game IRC so I believe that limits the impact Adams and Siragusa would have. I know I forget myself when I think about watching the '00 Ravens but the real calling card of that defense was their ability to stop the rush which has somewhat of a limited in this game simply due to the fact the Patriots relied so little on running the ball.

In the battle between the Patriots defense and Ravens offense I lean heavily towards giving an overwhelming edge to the Patriots because at the time Ted Washington was at the top of his game commanding a double team in the middle and Seymour and Hamilton were both more than decent ends in the 3-4 defense. Rodney Harrison was a play maker in the secondary (regardless of your personal feelings regarding him, I don't believe a person can deny he was once one of if not the best safety in the game) and Ty Law shut down receivers due to the fact the league allowed DBs to essentially mug WRs as long it was roughly within 5 yds. of the LOS. I just can't convince myself that the Ravens would be able to run the ball well enough to compensate for the zero faith I have in Dilfer being able to make those kind of plays that are required to win a major game against a good defense.

Comparing special teams I'll give the edge to the Ravens due to Jermaine Lewis and the fact nothing about the Pats STs really seems memorable to me outside of some Vinatieri FGs, which leads to believe it was basically average. Jermaine Lewis on the other hand in a lot of ways helped the Ravens win some games just by getting his team such an edge in the battle for field position.

I truly believe it would have been a fun game to see if it had been possible so as long you enjoyed a real defensive struggle. My guess at a final score would be something along the lines of 9-6 with both offenses putting some truly ugly numbers by Super Bowl standards due to outstanding defenses. I know it is overly cliche to say, but I really can't get over a gut feeling that I have faith that Tom Brady and the Pats offense would be able to muster a little more offense vs. the Ravens defense than the Ravens offense would have been able to vs. the '03 Pats defense.
                  Last edited by Wally03; 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information