Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Truths 2K10 (The Return of the King)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perception that Norv doesn't run the ball is so weird...it has no basis in his history. Emmitt Smith, Stephen Davis, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore, all had awesome seasons under Norv in different situations. Ladainian led the league in rushing in 2007 under him.

And as for Rivers...yeah you're not going to find much on that subject I haven't already slobknobbed. If our running game gets going the world will end.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      [*] Giving Julius Peppers his big money deal was probably a bad idea, trading everything away for Jay Cutler and teaming him with Mike Martz wasn't a great idea either.
      The Cutler trade wouldn't have affected the draft as much, had Gaines Adams not died, or if we didn't trade for him in the first place. We could've gotten some real good players with that 2nd rounder.
      They paid out the ass for Peppers, which probably won't end well.
      The by-product of not firing Angelo and Smith is that every offensive coach knew the ship was sinking and no one wanted any part of it. Now with Martz in town, I expect Cutler to get clobbered many times. I think Martz can coach him well, I just don't expect any of it to show on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by zachsaints52 View Post
        I picked Stephen Jackson in last years FF with friends #2 overall, and I would do it again. Why you ask?

Whats up with your Mike Karney fascination? :o Iíve never seen someone so in love with such a average FB.

I like what you said about the Eagles and Kolb, however I donít think we fleeced the Redskins. The fact that Matt Cassel got nearly that same value proves that we didnít rip them off even though Cassel is much younger.

And a darkhorse ROY in my opinion on offense could be Dez Bryant.

Comment

A note: for those who point to Norv Turner's career track record as proof of his "commitment" I do not deny that he has had run-based offenses in the past. I question his commitment now, they don't run block very well and Philip Rivers is a more talented gunslinger than anyone Norv Turner has ever had. I think the Chargers will probably finish the year at a 60/40 ratio.

Comment

A note: for those who point to Norv Turner's career track record as proof of his "commitment" I do not deny that he has had run-based offenses in the past. I question his commitment now, they don't run block very well and Philip Rivers is a more talented gunslinger than anyone Norv Turner has ever had. I think the Chargers will probably finish the year at a 60/40 ratio.
            I doubt that they finish the season 60/40 unless Matthews misses the entire season. Like I said before, they were roughly 55/45 with a declining LT last year. What happened last year was a result of many things. One of them was LT's inability to hit holes that existed or make cuts to take advantage of overpursuit. What happened in the past in LT's prime was that he would try to run up the middle, and if that was clogged up, he would usually cut back outside and run free. This was due to his great vision and his physical abilities. Unfortunately, the latter was gone last season and he could no longer cut back like he did before.

Additionally, besides LT, the other main reason for the run blocking problems were the injuries to the offensive line. Our starting oline played together for like 3 quarters last year. After that we had to replace our center, our right guard, and our right tackle. We never got any sense of cohesion and thus played out of sync for a great deal of the season. Hopefully, we won't be hit as hard this season with injuries.

And like I mentioned before, Norv needs a successful running attack in order to set up his aerial attacks. The ideal scenario would be like the years in Dallas with Aikman and Emmit, Gus Frerotte and Terry Allen, and Brad Johnson and Stephen Davis. I believe they were all pro bowlers with Norv (at least the QBs were anyways). Without that successful run game, Norv can't set up his play action that he loves so much.

Comment

I like Philip Rivers, but it absolutely amazes me how underrated Troy Aikman is on this board, unless you're saying 'gunslinger' to specifically exclude Aikman since that wasn't his style. If that is the case, I completely agree and my point about Aikman still stands for a lot of people on this board.

Comment

Pete Carroll failed his first stint in the NFL not through lack of knowledge or even ability to evaluate talent he failed because he is a bad leader and bad coach of grown men, this will not change. He will fail, again.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  Pete Carroll failed his first stint in the NFL not through lack of knowledge or even ability to evaluate talent he failed because he is a bad leader and bad coach of grown men, this will not change. He will fail, again.
                  Do you have any links to this? I've seen it questioned before, but I've never seen testimonials from players or videos of him doing a poor job. I don't get where this is coming from besides possibly being arbitrary malicious hearsay.

Carroll has had a lot of success as a defensive coach (both as a coordinator and as a position coach). He clearly knows how to scheme and build a game plan.

He got a raw deal in NY when they booted him after one season. He then went to San Fransisco and proved he was a good defensive coordinator yet again. He then got offered another head coaching job where once again he got a pretty a raw deal trying to follow Bill Parcell's New England Patriots.

If I'm not mistaken, Pete Carroll has been a head coach for 2 different teams for a total of 3 years. How can you evaluate anything from that?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                    I like Philip Rivers, but it absolutely amazes me how underrated Troy Aikman is on this board, unless you're saying 'gunslinger' to specifically exclude Aikman since that wasn't his style. If that is the case, I completely agree and my point about Aikman still stands for a lot of people on this board.
                    AIKMAN DIDNT HAV TEH STATZZZZZZZZZ SO HE IZ NTO ELETE!!!!!!!111111

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                      AIKMAN DIDNT HAV TEH STATZZZZZZZZZ SO HE IZ NTO ELETE!!!!!!!111111

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

#rd Yr. Formula?

delete post
                        Last edited by LizardState; 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

3rd Yr. Formula?

The 3-Yr. Rule -- Does it apply?

They say that b/c of the high degree of specialization required for defensive positions in a 3-4 defense, it takes a coach 3 yrs to install it with the right personnel & be effective.

Wade Philips was in his 3rd yr. in Dallas in 2009 (took the job in Feb. 07), it was in 09 that Dallas won a playoff game for the 1st time in 13 yrs, since 1996, & his 3-4 defense incorporating several personnel changes was a major p/o that success in his 3rd yr. And Dallas fans were very grateful to lift the December Curse from the Cowboys, posting a winning rcd. (3-1) in December, beating the eventual Lombardi Trophy winner Saints 17-13, then shutting out NFC East rivals Redskins & Eagles in Wks. 16 & 17.

John Harbaugh is in his 3rd yr. this season in B-More (took the job in Jan. 08). The Ravens drafted OLB Sergio Kindle & NT Terence Cody nos. 1 & 2 in April, those are 2 crucial 3-4 defensive positions who will at the very least provide depth at those spots but may excel there, who knows. B-More has a considerable League-wide defensive reputation that everyone seems to think will only improve in Harbaugh's 3rd yr.

Just saying......

Comment

I saw the Houston bit at the end there, where do you have them finishing in the AFC South this year? I'll admit they're in better position to compete than they've ever been, but by breakthrough year, do you mean playoffs, or division winners?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I think they will give the Colts a run for their money, but Indy is still the favorites. I think they are heads and shoulders more talented than the other talked about wild-card teams.

Comment

I think they will give the Colts a run for their money, but Indy is still the favorites. I think they are heads and shoulders more talented than the other talked about wild-card teams.
                                I still think their secondary will be their downfall when things are said and done, but they've made strides to improve that, and they didn't completely fall apart after losing a big piece in Owen Daniels last season, so maybe they're starting to learn how to win. I could certainly see them getting a WC spot if things go right for them.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                                <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information