8-ish NFL Truths presented by BeerBaron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-ish NFL Truths presented by BeerBaron

The discussions in threads like Underrated/Overrated and Buy/Sell have got me thinking...so I've decided to throw down a bunch of my thoughts in one place to get them all out.

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but critique away:

Truth the First - The Gilded Patriots

- It's very hard to argue that Bill Belichick has proven to be one of the greatest coaches of all time, winning 3 Superbowls with a 6th round pick QB, an odd assortment of running backs, various receivers, castoffs and misfits on defense with a few gems thrown in.....he simply made it work.

But over the last two seasons, all of the coaching magic in the world hasn't been able to keep this team from cracking. They narrowly won their division last year before falling very hard and fast in the playoffs...I just don't trust them in 2010. The Jets and Phins have spent the offseason beefing up their rosters and becoming some of the more talented teams in the league in the process. Sadly for Pats fans, I see this as the year they finally crumble completely.

When you run through their roster, you see far too many "if's" that are required for them to remain a contender. "If" Moss gets back to 2007 form...."If" Welker gets healthy..."If" Holt and/or Edelman can provide a 3rd threat at WR..."If" they find a back who can carry their run game..."If" the age at certain positions can keep playing at a high level...."If" the youth at other positions can produce quickly.....So many things need to go right for this team to compete in that division. I see them as the weakened "old guard" of that division. Still dangerous, with key players and a coach who know how to win, but far too many "if's" for me to feel like they are going to be a contending team in 2010.

Truth the Second - Flight of the Falcons

Imagine, if you will, your team losing your top couple of draft picks headed into this season. Unless you're a Bears fan like me and you don't have top picks to begin with, odds are, your team is going to be hurting quite a bit to compete. Well that is precisely what happened to the Falcons last year, losing their top rookies as well as some other younger, key players early on.

Despite that notable handicap, the Falcons managed to hang in there....hovering around .500 and remaining competitive right up into the final weeks of the season where they won 3 straight to finish strong. Now, they not only get their young guys from last year back, but they add in a key veteran free agent in Dunta Robinson as well as some new rookies who could make an impact right away. Atlanta is going to be a very tough team in 2010.

While I don't expect the Saints to suffer any significant hangover from the Superbowl (barring major injuries of course,) I could conceivably see Atlanta topping them in that division. They played the Saints very tough both times in 2009, and with the infusion of talent they are going to get in 2010, they very well may prove to be the best team in that division.

And how could I have gotten this far without mentioning Matt Ryan? Everyone likes to look at Aaron Rodgers as the next great QB and are predicting ungodly levels of greatness from him in 2010 (more on this later,) yet I've heard comparatively little love for Ryan, who may have the more complete team surrounding him. I expect a big breakout campaign (or re-breakout) for him and the Falcons in 2010.

Truth the Third - Land of the Giants

Whoa how the Giants have fallen out of favor in the NFL community. They seem to be the forgotten man, an afterthought in their own division. But I'm not forgetting about them anytime soon. The Cowboys are being proclaimed by many as the class of the NFC, and perhaps rightfully so, but don't be surprised if the Giants sneak up and steal their thunder in 2010.

This remains a scary team to face. Any given week, they can kill you in a number of ways. One game they might run the ball right down your throat with a diverse crew of rushers, and the next they might pick you apart through the air with an underrated (yes, UNDERrated) Eli Manning and a crew of young, talented receivers who quietly performed well in 2010. Steve Smith was the class of the bunch clearly, while Nicks and Manningham both put up ~800 yards each. Add in Kevin Boss and the freakishly big Ramses Barden who you'd have to expect will see more time in 2010, and this team could be extremely well rounded and dangerous on offense.

Now the defense....Most of the key players, particularly the pass rushers, who made this such a feared unit are still around, with some notable upgrades (Rolle) and players returning from injury (Phillips.) Add in a new playcaller, who will hopefully return to the aggressiveness of their Superbowl season, and there is no reason that the Giants shouldn't be able to be a huge competitor in the NFC.

Truth the Fourth - Eagles Through the Air

The title of this one might sound quite nice for the Eagles, and I fully expect their passing game to remain strong...but to their detriment in 2010.

Now what the hell could I possibly be babbling on about? Well, the Eagles will do what the Eagles have been doing for the past decade...throw the ball....a lot. They have the targets to make it work, and work well, no doubt about it. But they traded the QB who has been making it all go for them all that time in McNabb...and inserted Kevin Kolb in his place.

Now, the Achilles heel of the Eagles team during that time was their inability (or Reid's unwillingness) to run the football consistently. Sure, Westbrook would rip off a big run on a draw or toss from time to time, but they never developed much of an inside run game....and even in today's world of high flying aerial assaults through the passing game, teams still need to run to close out games. Look at the Saints last year for instance: Superbowl champs with a great passing attack....but they found a way to run the ball when they had to.

The Eagles, simply haven't proven that they can do that. You need to run the ball to preserve leads, you need to run to get the safeties to creep up and open up the pass more, and with a young inexperienced QB in Kolb, the Eagles need to have a reliable run game take the pressure off of him.

Furthermore, one of McNabb's greatest attributes was his mobility. Sure, he didn't run around quite as much in recent years as he did in his younger days, but he still had great mobility to avoid pressure within the pocket....that really helps out of the offensive line. This year, we could see that line suffer...giving up sacks that normally would have been avoided by McNabb being taken by Kolb either due to less mobility or awareness...or possibly both.

So while I expect to see the Eagles to keep on passing the ball....a lot....I expect to also see more sacks, more interceptions, more leads lost, and in the end, them missing out on the playoffs.

But a year of learning, perhaps painfully so, in 2010 might allow this young nucleus on offense to grow and prosper in future seasons, much like Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay in his first season starting.

Truth the Fifth - People Love Green Bay Way too Freaking Much

Sorry, no creative title here....just a truthful one. Never have I seen a team go from Wildcard loser after a decent regular season to OMFG BEST TEAM EVERZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! And it's not just overzealous Pack fans...I expect that from them, but it seems that just about everyone is jumping on this train.

I mean, there's reason for optimism in the Packers camp. They could certainly improve on their 2009 season...I don't think they'll be a bad team by any stretch of the imagination. But this anointment from wildcard, playoff caliber team to being an elite squad, tops in the league? No way.....you don't get that honor until you prove it on the field.

Unless/Until that happens, I'm not even sure I have them as a top 5 team in the NFC. I'm not a betting man, I don't like to wager on things I have no control over no matter how confident I feel, but if I had a gun to my head and was told to pick, I'd still choose the Cowboys, Giants, Saints and Vikings (assuming Favre returns) over the Packers....and I'd have the Falcons, who I talked about liking above, right around the same area.

Now, you're probably asking why do I think so much less of the Pack than everyone else? There are a number of reasons....firstly, they are still in only year 2 of a transition to a 3-4 defense. A lot of their most important pieces in the front 7 are still guys trying to find a fit and young guys gaining experience. They certainly have some talent to build around, such as Matthews and Raji, but many of the other guys, like I said, are odd fits trying to get by, such as Hawk and Barnett for example. The last we actually saw of them on the field was them giving up an all time great playoff performance to Kurt Warner. Stopping him wasn't an easy task for anyone, for sure, but the Saints managed to figure out a way to do it the very next week. I DO NOT trust this defense yet.

The o-line is still very questionable in my mind as well. They started off miserably last year, and just managed to get it to be "good enough" through a lot of tweaking. This year, they have more experience and add a 1st round pick in Baluga...but the o-line still isn't anywhere close to where I'd like it to be for me to anoint this team an elite in the NFC, much less a top Superbowl competitor. The Saints have an o-line like that....as do the Ravens....and you know Peyton and Saturday will keep that Colts line always looking great....even the Vikings have a good enough line for what they do and can power run block real well. Compared to these examples, the Packers line is still very shaky.

So, I feel like I need to make this absolutely clear: I do not believe the Packers are a bad team by any stretch, and the question marks I have pointed out here may shake out very well and they could take that step to be an elite team.

BUT, BUT!! They haven't done it yet, and this talk of them being so amazingly awesome is about 7 months premature, at least....Like I said in my intro, I've never seen a team who has proven so comparatively little already get hand-placed into that elite circle of teams by so many.

Truth the Sixth - AFC South Turnstyle

For pretty much the last decade, this division has been the Colts to lose. Sure, there were a few years scattered about where you could make the case for the Jags or Titans being competitive, but you'd still have been an idiot to pick against the Colts.

We may be seeing that come to an end this year. Just like Belichick's coaching magic, there are limits to what Peyton's wizardry at QB can accomplish. He has consistently been able to win with and without talent surrounding him....elite players and no namers alike.....but if ever there was a year for the shaky foundation on the Colts around Peyton to crumble, it's this year.

That division is as tough as ever. The Texans offense is on the verge of busting out into an elite unit who could keep up with and perhaps outscore anybody....There has been nothing but positive reports on Vince Young maturing this offseason and of course, they have CJ to fall back on...and the Jaguars, while not great and by far the least likely of the group to make the playoffs in 2010, are probably the best of the 4th-best teams in any division with MJD carrying them along.

Unlike the Patriots, whom I feel have been outright surpassed talent-wise by the Jets and Dolphins in their division, the Colts are still right on par with the other teams in their division, making their chances of getting to the playoffs and competing in that division still a lot better.

And a side note on the Texans.....I feel like they are right about where the Cardinals were when they finally broke out and nearly won the Superbowl. For 2-3 years before that, we heard about how the Cardinals were poised to break out and surprise people....and they just couldn't swing it. They'd lose some games that left you scratching your head while dominating in others with the end result of them finishing around .500 and missing out on the playoffs. I think the Texans are there now. They've been the same way for a couple of seasons now...seemingly poised to break out but ending up looking either amazing or head-scratchingly bad depending on the week, finishing about .500. This year though, watch out.....I just have a feeling they might finally get hot and streak right into the playoffs.

Overall, keep an eye on this division....it's anyone's to win, and should be the most interesting race of the year.

Truth the Seventh - The #1 Pick goes to...

We just finished one draft about a month ago, and the season hasn't even started....but hell, this is a draft board. Never too early to talk draft.

While, admittedly, my knowledge of the prospects for next year isn't that great just yet, I do feel like I have a pretty good idea of who will be vying to pick the best player.

By nearly all accounts, Buffalo is going the wrong direction. Their starting o-line could easily be confused for the the backups of most other teams and they didn't address it until the mid rounds of the draft. They didn't add anyone at QB, leaving them with Trent Edwards who seems to have the David Carr Syndrome...he's gotten beat up so much he's just become master of the checkdown. No one behind him looks much better either....I'm having difficulty thinking of any of their receiving options aside from Lee Evans without looking it up.....They're converting to a 3-4 defense lacking a lot of the pieces needed and relying on a lot of young, inexperienced guys and poor fits to make it work at several critical positions.....

The one area they seemed to be alright in was RB. Fred Jackson, while unspectacular, did have a pretty good season and could easily carry the load for the team, and if Marshawn Lynch ever gets his head out of his ass and back onto the football field, he can be dangerous as well. There isn't a chance in hell they'd draft a RB high with so many other needs......better to reach for a guy who fits a critical need than it is to add to a position that is probably the strongest on the team already....right? RIGHT?

No....wrong. While Spiller does give them a more dynamic threat on offense, he's not helping this team to the playoffs anytime soon. Maybe, just maybe, by adding Spiller they added a win or two to their 2010 overall record. But what is 4-12 compared to 3-13?

I'll tell you what it is.....it could very well knock them out of contention for the top pick or two in the draft. In recent years, even winning two measly games would have landed you the 2nd pick at best. So if Buffalo manages to pull out a couple of wins, they could find themselves losing out on getting the player who could help them the most.

I'm not going to guess which guy just yet, but if Locker, Mallett or Luck has a great 2010 season and looks like the franchise QB the Bills could really, really use....they could miss out on him.

And wouldn't that just be salt in the wound...eh Bills fans? Maybe in another 5 years a competent coach and front office will find their way in and turn this team around. And hey, you also always have the Lions and Browns to point to as teams worse than you.....right? Oh wait.....

Truth the Eighth - Tidbits

Just a few random thoughts on some of the teams not covered above:

- Vikings - Lucky for you, I think Favre is coming back. He can play this "retired or not" game, and it can be debated hotly by the media and fans....but if the Vikings had any inkling that he wasn't coming back, they would have done something else to address the position. I think Favre just wants to get out of workouts and most of training camp without making it seem like he's getting special treatment....and no one would care if he was anyway.

- Steelers - It's going to be a tough year. I see all the fans in West/Central PA and there is no optimism at all....I've never seen them like this before. I'm afraid to say it, but 3-3 would be a miracle start for this team.....2-4 seems likely to me, and that's if Dick Lebeau gets that defense all back together to carry the team.

- AFC West - What an odd division....I'd like to sit here and tell you how awesome the Chargers are, and how they'll dominate it easily...but they always find a way to make sure the race is interesting. While the talk of the Chiefs and Raiders in the playoffs is a bit overblown I think, they could end up scraping together some respectable wins and stir up a little panic in Chargersland....Chargers still win the division at the end of the day though.

- NFC West - The Cardinals have a LOT of pieces to replace.....including the most important position at QB. I'm really not sure what to think of them at all....I could see them struggle and take steps backwards and end up lousy...like 5-11 lousy.....or, even with questions at QB, beat up on a weak division and maybe eek out 10 wins overall. That's if the 49ers don't stop them...and it's all on Alex Smith there.

- Homer Corner: Bears - Take it easy on the Bears OK? You can rag on them all you want for having miserable safeties, a scrubby o-line that can't run block for the life of it, and questions still involving their pass rush...hell I do all that......But their passing game I think is going to be just fine. I like to compare their WRs to the Giants of last year. The talent is there, but not the production...yet. Speed in Hester and Knox, soft hand and route running in Bennett, and a little bit of everything with Aromashadu, plus you know Cutler can fling it and Martz will let him do so. I expect team passing records to fall next year....whether any other part of the team can do anything to help the team remains to be seen. Just lay off the passing game though, eh? It's really the least of the Bears problems...believe me.

The Bears SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! JK :)

Good write up BB.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
      firstly, they are still in only year 2 of a transition to a 3-4 defense. A lot of their most important pieces in the front 7 are still guys trying to find a fit and young guys gaining experience. They certainly have some talent to build around, such as Matthews and Raji, but many of the other guys, like I said, are odd fits trying to get by, such as Hawk and Barnett for example. The last we actually saw of them on the field was them giving up an all time great playoff performance to Kurt Warner. Stopping him wasn't an easy task for anyone, for sure, but the Saints managed to figure out a way to do it the very next week. I DO NOT trust this defense yet.
      I can see reason for doubting the Packers defense vs elite QBs but its like like being the # 2 ranked defense isn't an impressive turnaround for a 1st year in the 3-4. #26 ranked run D in 2008 to #1 in 2009. Why would only being in the 2nd year of transition" be a negative when they showed quick production in the 1st year? If anything, I think being in year two would be a positive form an objective standpoint.

The o-line is still very questionable in my mind as well. They started off miserably last year, and just managed to get it to be "good enough" through a lot of tweaking.
      If by a lot of tweaking you mean getting their starting tackles healthy and not having to start start Barbre at RT and a rookie at LT, yeah sure that's tweaking alright. The Packers Line played to a completely difference level when Cliffy and Tausch were healthy, Now whether or not they can both stay healthy is a different issue. I don't think one can possibly deny the Packers Oline struggles last season, but it the line didn't become " good enough" by tweaking, they stayed true to the scheme and the only thing that was really tweaked was the return of their starters.

Other than that, I'll keep this thread in mind for the end of next season when Rodgers is still twice the QB Matt Ryan is, or I could just let some of the basic stats due for the time being...

8,500 passing yards 59 passing TD, 20 INT and a 97.2 rating compared to:

6,500 passing yards 38 TD and 25 INT with a 84 rating.

Not to mention rushing stats which are heavily in Rodgers favor as well.
      Last edited by TitleTown088; 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Bears fan trashing the Packers, no surprise. 2nd year in the 3-4, man how will we manage to put together a defense with this crazy new 3-4? We certainly need to improve the #2 defense we fielded in the first year. Plus what will we do with 3 of our top 5 CBs coming back? What about our offense? How can Aaron Rodgers lead a decent offense? I mean, our biggest challenge was keeping him upright and now that will be so much harder with 3 or 4 guys we didn't have most of last year, all starting candidates.

Please.
        Anything can happen, but this team has loads of talent.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Just want to comment on a few pieces here. Firstly the Patriots, I like them a lot more than I did a year ago. I love their mixture of willy vets and youngins ready to make a name. The vets will give that young roster good leadership and Bellicheck should turn that talented young secondary into a cornerstone of their rebuilt defense. Chung and Merriweather at safety is a nice young duo while cornerbacks Butler, McCourty, Bolden and Wheatley give thema very talented set of corners for Belli to work with. I'm iffy about their pass rush since I think they are really dependent on TBC having a strong year and either Crable or Cunningham stepping up across from him, so I do think that this year the pass rush will just be solid, but they're strong in the middle with Mayo and Spikes/McKenzie and the DL is still one of the most talented 3-4 DL's in football. So the defense is going to be good, not great unless Cunningham or Crable break out and the other young players step up big time, but they'll be good.

Offensively They don't need Brady and randy to go to 2007 levels, they just need Randy to keep being Randy and Brady be less streaky this year than last. Edelman will fill the slot role well until Welker can come back and between their new TEs, Torry Holt, Price and Tate they'll have enough options to spread the ball around in the room Randy creates. So their passing game will be a strength. The running game is a concern but they have a large stable of backs that just need to compliment the passing game, not carry the team. Overall they're still my team to beat in the AFC East and if their youngins really excel they could very well be amongst the favorites once the playoffs roll around.

It's nice to see someone who isn't a giants fan talk us up. We were really crippled last year by injuries and a horrible DC, the fact that we even won 8 games was a tremendous testament to Eli's own toughness, playing through injuries to both his feet, as well as his ability.

EDIT:
          Right, I wanted to talk about the Bills since they get a lot of crap, especially after that draft. The problem with the draft is that they didn't like Clausen, so if Chan Gailey doesn't think Clausen can get it done in his spread then why waste a pick on the guy? I don't think they'll do very well this year for the reasons posted, no QB, iffy OL and a D transitioning to a 3-4, but I also think that with a QB and an LT that team has the pieces to be very good.

Defensively I like where they'll be in a year or two, Carrington and Troup will be long time starters along the DL with Stroud, Edwards and Kyle Williams fighting for the other DE spot. At the next level I think the switch will be huge for Maybin who could turn into the best OLB in the league in this scheme, he's just as naturally talented as DeMarcus Ware, and opposite him you've still got Schobel playing a position where his 240 pound frame won't be as big of a problem. Plus that Batten kid they got could become a solid starter. Inside they've got Poz, Kawika and Davis as proven guys and Moats who they drafted and seems like a great kid who'll really excel as ILB. So the front 7 has a lot of talent there once they've adjusted to the NFL and 3-4. And the secondary is really stacked, Byrd is a beast at FS and they've got quality and depth at corner.

Offensively they need a franchise QB, they don't have anyone to build around and so they need to find a QB next year. The offensive line has gotten better although LT is still a glaring hole. The inside should become a strength with time and they've got some guys to compete for the RT spot. Still think that if they can't swing a trade for Jared Gaither they'll need to address this spot in the early second round next year. I actually like their weapons now. With Freddy Jackson and CJ Spiller they've got good running backs that are a constant threat to break a long one, and Marshawn is a tough runner when he's not getting suspended. Lee Evans a very talented WR and they'll find out this year whether James Hardy will cut it, and if he can't they've already got a replacement they'll be polishing behind him. Nelson and Schouman is an under-rated TE duo and Josh Reed is a good slot receiver.

Overall I think them getting the top pick isn't unreasonable but by the same token if they can turn their top two picks next year into Jake Locker and Jared Gaither I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the playoffs the year after as the defense will only get better and better while offensively they have a number of weapons now and for the most part a good OL, with one blatant and massive hole at LT.
          Last edited by Rosebud; 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
          JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
          Originally posted by abaddon41_80
          Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
          Originally posted by JBCX
          Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

One of the few "truths' I've read, this was really well done and I liked it.

Comment

The Bills are heading the in the wrong direction. The Bucs are already bad enough and they drafted zero first year impact players. Who came in via FA?

I'd bet on the Bucs.

As far as the Patriots are concerned, I think there is good reasons to be concerned. Tom Brady is in year 2 of his ACL recovery. Wes Welker is just coming off surgery for it. Last year had no good WRs outside of Moss and Welker (and young Julian Edelman). The rest of the guys were special teamers at best. The pass rush was awful. However, the Patriots have spent 24 picks over the past 2 years and 8 of them have been in the first two rounds.

There are guys on the bench that could show promise. Ron Brace was an absolute no show last year at nose tackle. Terrence Wheatley has been a no show so far (due to injuries). Shawn Crable has played zero downs so far (in two years) and neither has Tyrone McKenzie.

The Patriots have a low floor but a very high ceiling due to having mostly young and unproven players.
              **** her in da *****!

Comment

I didn't use a single "bashing" word in there. And whether you agree with my reasoning or not, I stand by my conviction that I'd pick the Cowboys, Giants, Vikings and Saints over the Pack head to head.

And TitleTown, lets look at how the Packers got the the 2nd ranked defense:

They played:
                Bears (twice) - 23rd ranked overall offense
                Bengals - 24th
                Rams - 29th
                Vikings (twice) - 5th
                Lions (twice) - 26th
                Browns - 32nd
                Bucs - 28th
                Cowboys - 2nd
                49ers - 27th
                Ravens - 13th
                Steelers - 7th
                Seahawks - 21st
                Cardinals - 14th

10 of your 16 opponents were 20th rated or worse in overall offense...

3 of your losses came in games facing the teams better than 20th, and one your wins was the Cardinals in the final week after they had locked everything up, and then they went on to annihilate your defense a week later.

And in all of your losses, including 2 to the Bucs and Steelers, your defense gave up 30+ points.

I have concerns with this defense.

I have concerns when a team with this defense is being touted as the top team in it's conference, and a Superbowl threat.
                Last edited by BeerBaron; 05-28-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Any person who tells you with a straight face that the Chiefs are going to the playoffs is either an idiot or is crazy.. or both.

Originally posted by fenikz
                  His soft D really turns me off
                  ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

On the Patriots front:

Thanks for the comments. I hope I didn't sound overly hard on them in the right up....I think you guys are getting the point I was trying to make though in that so much relies on "if" something happens that it's very hard to like their odds....they could keep it together and play well, but they need a lot of the "ifs" I mentioned to work out in their favor for that to happen....and even if they do, a Jets or Dolphins team playing to it's full capacity could still be too much for them to overcome.

Oh, and descendancy, the Bucs could be that team who ends up worse than the Bills like I was talking about. They probably wouldn't steal the top QB away from them though.......The main point is that I think the Bills are going to be quite bad, and if they are, then need to come out of the top picks next year with a QB.

Comment

I'll tell you what it is.....it could very well knock them out of contention for the top pick or two in the draft. In recent years, even winning two measly games would have landed you the 2nd pick at best. So if Buffalo manages to pull out a couple of wins, they could find themselves losing out on getting the player who could help them the most.

I'm not going to guess which guy just yet, but if Locker, Mallett or Luck has a great 2010 season and looks like the franchise QB the Bills could really, really use....they could miss out on him.
                      This is dumb.

1. You play to win the game.

2. I don't know what argument you're trying to make. We're getting all the hype about getting the #1 pick because we drafted Spiller, and the whole "truth" is about who's getting the #1 pick, yet you end up talking about how Spiller might make us not have the #1 pick, and how that would be the worst thing ever!!

And hey, you also always have the Lions and Browns to point to as teams worse than you.....right? Oh wait.....
                      I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
                        This is dumb.

1. You play to win the game.

2. I don't know what argument you're trying to make. We're getting all the hype about getting the #1 pick because we drafted Spiller, and the whole "truth" is about who's getting the #1 pick, yet you end up talking about how Spiller might make us not have the #1 pick, and how that would be the worst thing ever!!

I don't get it.
                        Truths, predictions, thoughts.....I was going off the idea that many people are chalking up the #1 pick to the Bills, but I have this feeling that they could end up winning a game or two more and miss out on the top QB.

I'm not trying to suggest that they should try to lose or throw games or anything like that.....just the opposite. Them taking Spiller might win them a game or two in 2010, take them from 3-13 to 4-12 or something like I said in there, but I think it might take them out of competition for the player who could best help them in the 2011 draft.

If they end up with pick 2-5, they could easily see a team in front of them draft the top QB, or trade back and allow someone else to jump up and grab the top QB. And there could only be 1 worthwhile QB.....say Luck stays in school while only one of Locker/Mallett plays his was into the top 5 picks in college, they could be screwed.

I think they could get hurt in the long run by winning an extra game this year. They have to try to win in that situation, but looking at it overall......the situation with them staying in Buffalo and the recent years of futility....an elite QB could really do good for that team. Would suck to miss out....

Very tough situation.

And that last statement about the Browns/Lions is because they seem to have a little more hope of improving in the near future...misfired joke apparently.

Comment

WoW, BeerBaron!! I didn't know you could bring it like this!!

Add some pics, and I'd (almost!) buy a subscription!! Seriously though, a really insightful analysis of the top team and division questions heading into 2010!!

You surely don't need it, but you're gonna get it anyway. Repped

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                            WoW, BeerBaron!! I didn't know you could bring it like this!!

Add some pics, and I'd (almost!) buy a subscription!! Seriously though, a really insightful analysis of the top team and division questions heading into 2010!!

You surely don't need it, but you're gonna get it anyway. Repped
                            I guess I'm just full of surprises, lol...thanks man.

Comment

Excellent post. I agree with just about all of it.

I, too, think the Bills notes are somewhat unclear. Except the main point, that is. They definitely appear to be a team moving in the wrong direction - and not just this year. I love it, personally, though I am starting to feel this weird inkling of what I think may be sympathy for Bills fans. Perhaps it's just something I ate.

The only thing I don't agree with in the Patriots notes is the lack of mention BB's coaching carousel received. That, imo, is the single biggest factor in what seems to be a record number of "ifs" this season. The guy may be great, but no coach can do it on their own.

Wait, that's not the only thing. The whole this is "the year they finally crumble completely" part is crap. ..... : )

100% agreement on the Falcons. They had such a tough schedule last year and they were impressive considering that and the injuries. Major bounce back coming . . .

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information