The Interesting Article Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    Sounds like fame and recognition are getting to Aaron Rodgers head. Careful Rodgers, you may be a beast in the making, but you do have your flaws too. Youre not the second coming just yet.
    I actually appreciate it when athletes speak their mind, and don't feed us politically-correct, mindless, cliched drivel. He's right about Kornheiser, too.

Comment

Calling out dopey Jaws and Kornheiser probably wasn't needed, but you know a lot of NFL'ers are thinking it too. I would have avoided the Detroit comments, but the rest is excellent stuff.

On Jaws:
      He's the guy who ripped me before the draft.' The rest of the night he told me how great I was. I was like, 'I know your song and dance.' And now he loves me."
      This is the best part. Why buddy up to a guy who knocked your skill set prior to Rodgers becoming what he has. It's the homer in me(can't help it), but I love what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        I actually appreciate it when athletes speak their mind, and don't feed us politically-correct, mindless, cliched drivel. He's right about Kornheiser, too.
        Oh i agree. But he does come off as a little bitter. Like his main problem with Jaws is that he ripped him coming out, but truth be told, Jaws was right. He was just doing his job.

And if he was wrong, Rodgers wouldn't change his delivery, but he did. So I don't see why he took what Jaws said so personally.

Kornheiser is a clown. I do enjoy him on PTI though. He just shouldve never been in that booth.

Comment

Oh i agree. But he does come off as a little bitter. Like his main problem with Jaws is that he ripped him coming out, but truth be told, Jaws was right. He was just doing his job.

And if he was wrong, Rodgers wouldn't change his delivery, but he did. So I don't see why he took what Jaws said so personally.

Kornheiser is a clown. I do enjoy him on PTI though. He just shouldve never been in that booth.
          It's going to be interesting to see how sports media reacts to this. I've always maintained that they're just paparazzi for a male-dominated audience. If an athlete is good to them, they'll all write/talk about said athlete glowingly. Once that athlete "wrongs" the media, the athlete finds out just how powerful the national media can be, and how they can completely alter the public's perception of you.

Could be interesting.

And I got tired of Kornheiser about five years ago. The only sport he should even be allowed to discuss is baseball.

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see how sports media reacts to this. I've always maintained that they're just paparazzi for a male-dominated audience. If an athlete is good to them, they'll all write/talk about said athlete glowingly. Once that athlete "wrongs" the media, the athlete finds out just how powerful the national media can be, and how they can completely alter the public's perception of you.

Could be interesting.

And I got tired of Kornheiser about five years ago. The only sport he should even be allowed to discuss is baseball.
            Shaq and Kobe. Perfect example.

Or Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire.

Comment

Shaq and Kobe. Perfect example.

Or Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire.
              Ha, Shaq and Kobe was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that. Shaq was/is every bit the dick that Kobe was/is (except Shaq's almost 10 years older), but he was always very media-friendly.

Comment

Ha, Shaq and Kobe was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that. Shaq was/is every bit the dick that Kobe was/is (except Shaq's almost 10 years older), but he was always very media-friendly.
                During their beef when he got shipped to Miami, Shaq manipulated the media so bad during that time it wasn't even funny.

Shaq left every team on bad terms. People forget about that.

Comment

this totally deserves its own thread... but w/e... i'll resist my urge

"Golden Tate is a fatty...
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5265276
                  RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks rookie wide receiver Golden Tate apologized Tuesday and said he was "very embarrassed" after police in suburban Seattle gave him a warning for trespassing into a gourmet doughnut shop at 3 a.m. last weekend.

The former Notre Dame star says it was a foolish mistake but that he is glad to have learned a valuable lesson without getting arrested.

Tate says a friend took a couple of maple bars from the shop, which is at the bottom of the building in which Tate lives.

He says "they are irresistible."

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says he has talked to Tate, and agrees that maple bars can be irresistible.

Comment

people just posting stuff thats posted in here. great thread idea but people suck :/

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                      One thing I've always thought might help situations like CJ's would be to shorten rookie deal lengths. Iirc, right now, picks 1-16 can have a max contract of 6 years, 17-32 a max of 5 and every pick after that a max of 4.

I say make the top 10 picks have a max of 5, with all others a max of 4.

I think that normally, most players have identified themselves as being worthy of an extension or a bust by year 4. If this were the case, CJ would have a lot more leverage with only 2 years remaining on his deal rather than the 3 he's currently stuck with......he hasn't even played out half his contract yet. And it's pretty clear that it's not paying him what he's worth......

Just another thing to add to the giant pile of issues the NFL needs to address. Getting rookie salaries under control should still be a priority in the new CBA though. Did you know there's a good chance Eric Berry will become the league's highest paid safety without ever taking a single snap? Ludicrous. Absolutely ******* asinine and ludicrous.
                      I agree with you 100% and I think its more than "a good chance" that Eric Berry is the highest paid Safety ever. His signing bonus alone, for being a top 5 pick, will put him in a different stratosphere.

As far as rookies getting paid what they are worth, I think baseball has it the best. Here is what I would do. Combine the best parts from the NBA and MLB and make it best for the NFL. You have a certain number of manditory years that a drafted player spends with a team that drafts him (the NFL can makeup their own length of time 4-6 years most likely). The player is given a "signing bonus" based upon the selection he was drafted (being the #1 overall pick should count for more than the #27 overall). The bonus is nowhere near what they receive today, but it is a nice payday. Your 1st years salary is based upon draft slot. Every following year, your salary is negotiated by the player and team based upon performance and players of like positions and stats salary. If a negotiated salary can't be agreed upon, then an arbitrator is brought in to determine the worth of a player based upon performance and like players of the position. After the determined time of indenturement (4-6 years) is over, the player becomes an unrestricted free-agent is is free to sign with any team for any price. The new CBA may allow teams to use franchise tags or transition tags and all those rules would apply to unrestricted free-agent players and the original team that drafted them.

I think this is the best way for everyone. Teams don't waste money on players that don't perform (JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith) and gets players that out perform their draft slot (CJ, Jared Allen) the money they earned.

The only arguement I could see agianst it would be how a team would have to adjust their salary cap every year based upon players performance. To me, it would be pretty easy. Take the Titans and CJ for example. CJ is clearly worth more than he is being paid and the Titans know that. If his performance dictated that he would be paid more, they would have a good idea what that amount would be 1 year ahead of when the payment would be due. Plus, players like Vince Young would be paid less than the rookie contract he signed and the teams payroll would almost even itself out. My plan would also due away with the NFLs arbitrary rookie salary cap that they impose on each team every year.

Comment

I think Buffalo could have a decent defense. Poz and Kawika inside, Maybin and Schoebel outside, Troup at NT. They have a good secondary.

If they run the ball like hell, which they claim they will, maybe this team will muster up 4 wins or so.

I still think St. Louis is worse than them on paper.
                        wow, I'm not the only non-Bills fan who likes the D they're building? Crazy. But I agree that secondary's really good and has one stud already, the DL should be a strength in a year or two when Troup and Carrington have gotten adjusted to the NFL and the LBs could be quite studly with Poz, Kawika and Moats filling the inside spots and Maybin getting put in a position to break out on the outside. The D could be pretty decent this year, with the transition to a new scheme they'll have some struggles but I think that in a year or two that D could really break out and become a top ten unit. Hopefully giving them a shot at Locker in next year's draft to leave LT as the only major hole on that offense.

I think the Rams are worse on paper because their D looks pretty bad at every position except DE and CB, although you and me both know that those are the two most important positions for spags to work his magic and I like that Rams offense. I'm a bradford fan and that OL is shaping up quite well. They lack a #1 receiver but they've got some solid weapons in Mardy, Avery and Sjax to go with Bradford and that rebuilt OL. So depending on what spags can do with the DE and CB talent he has I could see the Rams being surprisingly decent.

Agree with it all. In my 2011 mock, I had them picking 3rd behind St. Louis and Tampa Bay....still got their QB in Locker at least.

When Spiller was drafted, I figured their run game might give them an extra win or two in 2010, but not getting a QB, LT or any other real worthwhile key position will hurt down the line...
                        Outside of QB and LT what real worthwhile key position should they have addressed? I could see the case for a pass rusher just because you can never have enough pass rushers, but I don't see a "key" another key need that they could've addressed. And the choices at QB and LT have been discussed ad nausieum already, like a lot of team they weren't buying Clausen as a franchise QB and the only LT worthy of that pick, Anthony Davis, scared them off with his weight and motivational issues giving them flashbacks to Peters who they had just had to trade away.

Would I have drafted Anthony Davis at that spot anyway? Yes, but you can see why they didn't. I like the guys they did draft a lot and think that in next years draft if they can get Locker they'll only have one real need and that'll be LT, a position they can address with their early second round pick either via the draft or a trade for Jared Gaither. After that all they really need is another pass rusher because you can never have enough pass rushers and depending on what happens with Hardy and Easley this year a second WR. This team really doesn't have that many needs left, they just have to find someone who'll take care of the biggest needs a team can have well, which is why I don't mind them passing on guys who were iffy solutions like Claussen and Davis.
                        Last edited by Rosebud; 06-10-2010, 01:51 PM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                        Originally posted by JBCX
                        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                          Outside of QB and LT what real worthwhile key position should they have addressed? I could see the case for a pass rusher just because you can never have enough pass rushers, but I don't see a "key" another key need that they could've addressed. And the choices at QB and LT have been discussed ad nausieum already, like a lot of team they weren't buying Clausen as a franchise QB and the only LT worthy of that pick, Anthony Davis, scared them off with his weight and motivational issues giving them flashbacks to Peters who they had just had to trade away.

Would I have drafted Anthony Davis at that spot anyway? Yes, but you can see why they didn't. I like the guys they did draft a lot and think that in next years draft if they can get Locker they'll only have one real need and that'll be LT, a position they can address with their early second round pick either via the draft or a trade for Jared Gaither. After that all they really need is another pass rusher because you can never have enough pass rushers and depending on what happens with Hardy and Easley this year a second WR. This team really doesn't have that many needs left, they just have to find someone who'll take care of the biggest needs a team can have well, which is why I don't mind them passing on guys who were iffy solutions like Claussen and Davis.
                          Literally any position other than HB would have contributed more to this team over the long haul. I would have been willing to buy even a slight reach at just about any defensive position.

I think Spiller might net them an extra win or two this year, and now I'm truly hoping that puts them out of range to get Locker/whoever the top QB ends up being just for my own kicks. Kind of like joking that the Lions take a WR every year now...

Comment

Literally any position other than HB would have contributed more to this team over the long haul.
                            See, I'm thinking about it another way. Almost any position besides HB would have helped them not be terrible in 2010, but Lynch isn't likely to be a Bill much longer and Fred Jackson will be 30 after this season. Chain Gailey's offense needs a runner and a runner was going to be a huge need really soon, so they jumped the gun and took a runner good enough that they won't have to address that down the road.

I really don't have a problem with the pick. The Bills offense is in a state that picking BPA is totally acceptable. I wonder if people would be more inclined to accept the pick if Buffalo's 2nd choice had been Tebow, not Troupe, but I guess we'll never know.

Comment

Literally any position other than HB would have contributed more to this team over the long haul. I would have been willing to buy even a slight reach at just about any defensive position.

I think Spiller might net them an extra win or two this year, and now I'm truly hoping that puts them out of range to get Locker/whoever the top QB ends up being just for my own kicks. Kind of like joking that the Lions take a WR every year now...
                              Since I've already talked about QB and LT lets look at the other positions they could've picked. WR, they could've reached on Bey Bey or gambled with Dez, but they've already got a #1 and a good slot guy. At the second spot they have Hardy coming into his 3rd season, which is the year many receivers put it together and Hardy has plax potential. At TE they've got Schouman who's solid and Nelson who was a very popular prospect last year, so reaching for Gresham doesn't make too much sense. So offensively the only other reasonable pick would've been to gamble on Dez at a position that they're much better off at than RB where Marshawn's days seem to be numbered and Freddie who may not have the wear and tear but is still fast approaching 30.

Defensively they have a very good young secondary, easily the strength of that team, with its best player playing the position that the only DB worthy of 9th overall selection plays. So lets throw secondary out as a possible destination and move on to the DL which was a gaping hole. Now what DL could they have taken that high? I see Dan Williams and Jared Odrick, two guys who went in the 20s on draft day and two guys who's upgrade over Troup and Carrington who they did pick up isn't as massive as the difference between Spiller and whatever RB they would've had a shot at. At LB they've got a good group of inside backers and Aaron Maybin, another pass rusher makes sense but of the top DEs which one was a good fit for the 3-4? I loved Graham and JPP but I don't think either one is ideal in a 3-4 and the only other guy, Morgan, is a terrible fit in the 3-4.

So out of every other position on the field it comes down to Spiller vs Dez and Graham. Admittedly I wasn't the biggest spiller fan, but if he's CJ2k 2.0 it's really hard to say they made a mistake taking him instead of a poor schematic fit in Graham or a character concern in Dez.

Honestly I don't expect too much from Spiller this year, he's still going to be sharing carries with Freddie and Marshawn for a year and with no passing game that won't be enough to prevent them from being in position to at least trade up for one of the top QBs. But Next year when Marshawn's gone and Freddie's workload starts getting lessened I think Spiller will prove a great weapon out of the backfield for whomever's starting under center next year. As I've said before I really like what they've done defensively and if they nab Locker and an LT next year that offense is pretty well set up for Locker to succeed. Talented RBs who both excel out of the backfield, a strong interior OL, a new LT, good pair of TEs, a legit go to receiver, a strong slot guy and some talent at the other WR spot.

QB - Locker
                              RB - Spiller/Fast Freddie
                              TE - Schouman/Nelson
                              WR - Evans, Hardy/Easley and Reed
                              LT - Gaither or Rookie
                              LG - Woods
                              C - Hangartner
                              RG - Levitre
                              RT - Meredith

That's a good young offense if Locker's the guy most of us think he is that can burn a lot of teams with big plays and has the guys to move the chains regularly as well.
                              Last edited by Rosebud; 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                              Originally posted by JBCX
                              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

I stand by my belief that Spiller is going to get them a win or two more in 2010. I believe this, and if that were the goal, they'd be set.

If Spiller becomes another CJ, good for them....highly unlikely though. CJ is a super speedster who's proven to able to handle the full load at the NFL level, making him all sorts of threatening. Plus Tennessee's o-line looks absolutely godly compared to Buffalo's. That's a lot to hope for out of any player you take....

I think Buffalo is doomed for another 5 years of mediocrity at best. You like their defense, and their secondary...fine....Maybin showed nothing as a rookie, just read on PFT earlier today that Schobel is retiring (link at bottom of post,) Kyle Williams is their only old d-lineman I can name and you'd have to be crazy to believe him to be a good 3-4 fit...Ok, I lied, I can name Stroud too but he's a few years on the wrong side of 30 (32 I believe)....Troup was a need filler but a reach by at least a full round.....Alex Carrington is likely going to be a project...

The o-line is probably one of the worst I've seen in the last few years...good luck to whichever QB wins the job and good luck to the runners who have to run behind it.

Their division has 3 teams gunning for the playoffs and hoping for the Superbowl who are probably going to badly beat up on Buffalo.

They had better just hope they don't lose out on the top QBs of next year....If Luck were to not come out and either Locker or Mallett were to struggle and hurt their stock, the Bills very well could find themselves with someone like Christian Ponder at QB.

And I will laugh.

Schobel link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-to-retire/ (not 100% official, but he doesn't sound like a player who wants to play next year, even with a lot of money still on the table.)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information