Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Johnson wants $30-$40 million guaranteed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely agree that RBs have short careers and paying them a lot of money could backfire, but CJ isn't like every other running back. We all saw how special he was last year and what kind of player he is.

Get the deal done.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

CJ is one of the biggest if not the biggest playmaker in the entire league, if anyone deserves this type of money he's one of them.

Comment

I agree he deserves a nice new shiny deal, he is the Titans...However, I'm against guaranteed money all together..I believe all contracts should be performance based and if something happens to shorten the players career they should get a pension similar to a military pension, not millions...I know that's not how it is that's just how I'd like to see it..and no I am not saying it will happen to CJ but just saying there is a chance how there is a chance with any player in this league...its just a higher possibility with smaller backs.
        Last edited by trkaline; 06-19-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trkaline View Post
          I agree he deserves a nice new shiny deal, he is the Titans...However, I'm against guaranteed money all together..I believe all contracts should be performance based and if something happens to shorten the players career they should get a pension similar to a military pension, not millions...I know that's not how it is that's just how I'd like to see it..and no I am not saying it will happen to CJ but just saying there is a chance how there is a chance with any player in this league...its just a higher possibility with smaller backs.
          I'm with you in that I don't like guarantees in contracts......if the NFL ever adopted an NBA style system with fully guaranteed anything I'd stop watching altogether.

But some guarantees are inevitable. I try to think of it as the guaranteed money is the payment for what the player has already accomplished...in CJ's case, it's a lot....but there should still be a substantial portion non-guaranteed that forces the player to actually try hard to earn it.

Comment

I think he is just negotiating higher than what he wants to have a better chance at getting that. He's not asking for something that unreasonable either. $40 million guaranteed may be a lot, but 10-15 of that could be all in the signing bonus. What is $30 million guaranteed anyway? He could front load the deal so that all the money goes to him while he's still one of the best backs in the game. I'm no expert on contracts because I'm not sitting down reading proposed contracts, but it doesn't seem too bad if he makes $8 million for about 4 years guaranteed.

Think about it, he's only two years in the league and he ran for 2,000 yards last year. This guy should be one of the highest paid backs in the game. He's young, and he more than likely is not a one hit wonder. It's best that he gets his money now before something bad happens and he doesn't get paid for being a premier guy at a crucial spot.
            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
            ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

I saw the title and....

We'll get it done, its not like he doesn't deserve a raise.

Comment

If the Titans don't re-sign Chris Johnson he will be mad, frustrated and could cause some tension during the season.

If they do, players in the future will be adamant of getting an extension when the majority of years are still left. That would cause too many headaches in the future. The fewer players strongly wanting contract extensions the better off a team is.

Once Chris Johnson gets an extension after next season he will be happy.

Comment

I agree that the Titans should pay Johnson. Considering the 30% rule though, it can't be much of a raise, so long as I'm correct in assuming the rule has to assume there won't be a new CBA until one is actually worked out.

They should pay him and make him happy. Running backs don't last long but Johnson should have 4-6 more productive years barring disasterous injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
                    If they do, players in the future will be adamant of getting an extension when the majority of years are still left. That would cause too many headaches in the future.
                    This is not true. Players won't just start asking for extensions because Chris Johnson did. He has 3200+ rushing yards and 700+ receiving in his first 2 seasons. He played at a pro bowl level 2 years in a row. He's not asking for a contract just because he's bored.

If anyone severely outplays their rookie deal, and plays at a pro bowl level their first 2 years in the league then yea they could hold out, but you just don't expect an extension just because they want one.

It took Steven Jackson 3 years to have a season as good as Chris Johnson's rookie season. You have to prove it on the field first, it's not going to set a bad precedent at all. If you start breaking all time records in your 2nd season in the NFL after being a pro bowler in your 1st then you have some type of leverage to ask for an extension.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I don't see what's wrong with a deal that has a nice signing bonus, say 10-15 mil, a massive roster bonus in 2 and 3 years, 6 or 7 mil each, and then a lot of money in incentives that have to do with health each year fully, him remaining to be elite and then a couple chunks of bookoo bucks if he goes buck wild on the league again. Dude's worth a lot of money and while 40 mil seems really excessive 30 mil in bonuses depending on how its structure seems reasonable given how young he still is.

Also has he discussed taking a raise this year and then negotiating a long term deal next year? Seems the Titans would be wise to sell him on a good faith payment this year and a full long-term re-structuring next offseason.
                      Last edited by Rosebud; 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                      JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                      Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                      Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                      Originally posted by JBCX
                      Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        It took Steven Jackson 3 years to have a season as good as Chris Johnson's rookie season. You have to prove it on the field first, it's not going to set a bad precedent at all. If you start breaking all time records in your 2nd season in the NFL after being a pro bowler in your 1st then you have some type of leverage to ask for an extension.
                        Well, part of that was Marshall Faulk > Lenwhale.....

Something I think would help to avoid future situations like this would be to shorten the lengths of rookie deals. Right now iirc, top 16 picks can be signed for 6 years, the rest of the first round 5 years, and everyone else 4 years max.

I'd change it so the top 10 is capped at 5 years, and the rest of the picks are capped at 4 years.

I think in most cases, 4 years is plenty to decide whether a player deserves an extension or is a bust. Since there's a bit more of an investment in top 10 picks, give them an extra year. I think this way, the players who've outperformed their rookie deal can reach FA faster, even if it's just by 1 year, and it will help them get the money they deserve in their pockets a little faster as well.

This would be in addition to a rookie salary structure that drastically reduces what gets paid to the top picks.

Comment

Hope Chris Johnson likes watching games on his couch.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information