The Forum's All Underrated Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forum's All Underrated Team

So since this is the slowest part of the year, I figure I'd take a crack at this. This is an all underrated team that I feel is comprised of players who I personally feel are either elite, or near elite players who don't get much recognition on this board as being such. If we make a generic all underrated team, it can get messy bc many players are underrated by the masses, but not underrated on this forum. So I tried making a list of guys who we as a forum underrate. There are several legitimately underrated players off this list, and the reason being is because we recognize them as elite players. This was not as easy as you may think, I really had to go back and dig deep to find a legitimate underrated group that is not often discussed on here who are still elite players based on what i saw out of them on sundays.

I've been looking at a lot of games this offseason from last year, and these guys all stood out to me for different reasons. I can give a lengthy reasoning for each player, so if you want to know why I picked a specific player, just ask about it and I'll give you my reasons for him being on the list.

So anyway, here it is. Judge, critique, tell me how wrong I am, offer alternatives, let me have it. It's a slow time this offseason and this can perhaps kill some time.

4-3 Front 7

LE: Robert Mathis
    NT: Domata Peko
    UT: Mike Patterson
    RE: Aaron Kampman

WILL: Keith Rivers
    MIKE: Gary Brackett
    SAM: Ben Leber

3-4 Front 7

LE: Randy Starks
    NT: Aubrayo Franklin
    RE: Calais Campbell

SOLB: Anthony Spencer
    SILB: James Farrior
    WILB: Takeo Spikes
    WOLB: Cameron Wake

HONORARY MENTION: Ahmad Brooks

CB: Terrell Thomas
    CB: Chris Gamble
    FS: Tarnard Jackson
    SS: Brandon Merriweather

NOTE: I understand Merriweather is a FS, but I couldn't decide between Jackson and Merriweather so I threw him to SS since he's capable of playing both positions.

Offense

QB: Matt Schaub

RB: Ricky Williams
    FB: Vonta Leach

LT: Sam Baker
    LG: Kris Dielman
    C: Ryan Khalil
    RG: Justin Blalock
    RT: Winston Justice

NOTE: I know Blalock is a LG, but I felt both Dielman and Blalock needed to be on this list. I was thinking about adding Grubbs and Nicks to the fold, but they get recognition on this forum so they don't fit the criteria i was going for.

TE: Heath Miller/Anthony Fasano

WR: Robert Meachem
    WR: Jericho Cotchery
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM.

Justin Smith deserves at least a mention

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Bills DT Kyle Williams or gtfo

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
        Justin Smith deserves at least a mention
        He does. He just missed the cut for me. I think Campbell is on the cusp of being a premiere 3-4 DE in this league, he can stuff the run and rush the passer as good as any 3-4 End in the league.

Starks is a Justin Smith clone. I gave him the edge bc of his versatilty, how he can kick inside and penetrate better than Smith and how he's playing NT for Nolan this year.

That gave him the slight edge over Smith to me. Starks doesn't benefit playing next to a monster NT like Smith does as well, which is something I factored into my decision.

Comment

Not too sure about Ben Leber. I think Greenway is better than him and still very underrated.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
          Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
            Bills DT Kyle Williams or gtfo
            For the most part, I excluded guys going into a new system bc quite frankly, we don't know how they'll perform in the new formation until we actually see it.

I know Kawika Mitchell is my exception to that reasoning, and that's because I've seen him extensively over the years, and I know he can thrive in any system.

Plus it was either him or Takeo Spikes, and I chose Kawika bc he's the superior player.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
              Not too sure about Ben Leber. I think Greenway is better than him and still very underrated.
              I'm evaluating Leber as a SAM. There aren't many elite 4-3 SAMs in the league anymore, it's a dying position. Often times teams are taking DEs and lining them up at SAM and playing them as Jokers, so the traditional 4-3 SAM is vanishing.

The only truly elite one is Cushing, and well...you know.

I pimp Greenway all the time. As much as I hated him coming out, I readily admit he's a beast. I believe thats the general consensus among the board.

Keith Rivers is better than Greenway however, and gets lost in a lot of discussion just as much as Greenway does. Rivers is a PB caliber player. I think Greenway is great, but he's a notch below Rivers.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
                I think Leber is very underrated as well, but I don't know that he really fits into the criteria because of this:
                This is an all underrated team that I feel is comprised of players who I personally feel are either elite, or near elite players
                I know Leber isn't elite, and I don't consider him near elite. I do think he's an above average NFL LB, but to me he's not in that near elite category. I do like to see him get some recognition for all that he's done over the past few years, especially when EJ's gotten hurt and he's played some Mike and took over the play calling.

As far as Greenway goes, I feel he's vastly underrated by the masses, but I think that for the most part this forum knows how good he is.

sig by BK and avy by me
                Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Considering where and how he has been playing in recent years, I would disagree with Kawika Mitchell. A fine starter, but I don't see what makes him nearly elite. We'll see how it goes with him actually playing that position this year, if he can even win a starting job. I agree that he doesn't lose anything switching between schemes, but I disagree on him being a special player.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
                    Considering where and how he has been playing in recent years, I would disagree with Kawika Mitchell. A fine starter, but I don't see what makes him nearly elite. We'll see how it goes with him actually playing that position this year, if he can even win a starting job.
                    This.

He was average at best for the Chiefs, his game has improved but he is still nothing special.

Comment

I think you might be jumping the gun a little on Cameron Wake. You're not the only one who has though. I could see him on a list of potential breakout players headed into next season, but in my mind, someone who qualifies as underrated has to have performed well (in the NFL) without much recognition, and most players on your list are like that.

As for Wake...lets see him start a whole year before we go classifying him as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
                        Considering where and how he has been playing in recent years, I would disagree with Kawika Mitchell. A fine starter, but I don't see what makes him nearly elite. We'll see how it goes with him actually playing that position this year, if he can even win a starting job. I agree that he doesn't lose anything switching between schemes, but I disagree on him being a special player.
                        From what I saw of him in Buffalo, I thought he was a beast. He was injured this year, but in 08, he was arguably your best player on defense.

He is a great goalline run defender, he is a great run defender period, an excellent blitzer, and he's improved his pass coverage quite a bit. I personally feel like the Giants made a big mistake letting him go.

He also has a knack for making a big play in big moments. He did it with the Giants, and he did it with the Bills.

I didn't want to mention Bart Scott bc quite frankly, Scott is on the downside of his career. Same with Takeo Spikes, who actually plays much better than he's given credit for.

Other than those 2 guys, most great ILBs are pretty much recognized as such. So that was another position that I struggled filling in based on my criteria.

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
                        I think Leber is very underrated as well, but I don't know that he really fits into the criteria because of this:
                        I know Leber isn't elite, and I don't consider him near elite. I do think he's an above average NFL LB, but to me he's not in that near elite category. I do like to see him get some recognition for all that he's done over the past few years, especially when EJ's gotten hurt and he's played some Mike and took over the play calling.

As far as Greenway goes, I feel he's vastly underrated by the masses, but I think that for the most part this forum knows how good he is.
                        I understand where you're coming from, but to repeat what I said earlier, I think there is only 1 truly elite 4-3 SAM in the league, and it's Brian Cushing.

So I kind of had to fill that spot as well as possible considering the circumstances.

Comment

I think A.Franklin is a beast
                          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Any team is incomplete without mention of Tyvon Branch.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                              I think you might be jumping the gun a little on Cameron Wake. You're not the only one who has though. I could see him on a list of potential breakout players headed into next season, but in my mind, someone who qualifies as underrated has to have performed well (in the NFL) without much recognition, and most players on your list are like that.

As for Wake...lets see him start a whole year before we go classifying him as anything.
                              Yeah I was expecting him to be the first guy people pointed out. I anticipate him being special for several reasons.

First and foremost, he stuck out every time he got to see the field last year. The dude can flat out rush the passer. Plus Ive stated several times in the past that I feel that the undersized 3-4 rushbackers are the new mismatch in the NFL.

Wake produces, he gives linemen trouble based on his size, and I think he'll thrive in a full time role. He has experience too. It's just a bold assumption on my part, but I see no reason why he won't thrive next year.

Especially under Nolan, who knows exactly how to use him.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information