Pivotal plays in NFL History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pivotal plays in NFL History

This thread is about plays that altered the course of a franchise.

For example, the Tom Brady injury in 2008(that altered not only New England's future, but possibly also Denver's and several other teams as well).

Also, I have another one: Vernon Perry's FG block and return against San Diego in the 1979 playoffs. The Chargers were about to go up 10-0 in the second quarter when Oiler Safety Vernon Perry changed the momentum of the entire game with a FG block and a 50+ yard return to around the SD 30. The Oilers were able to win the game 17-14, and go on to Pittsburgh for the AFC Title game.

If that FG is made, the Chargers probably would have gone on to win against a banged-up Oiler team that was missing Pastorini and Earl Campbell. The next week, they would have hosted Pittsburgh. Both teams had 12-4 records, but the Chargers beat the Steelers 35-7 at home that year. If they would have won, they would have played the Rams that year in the SB, who they defeated 40-16 that year in Week 8. A SB win for the Chargers in 79 may have been the start of a new dynasty. I think that they could have repeated the next year, and maybe that would have led to Fred Dean and JJ getting new deals before the 1981 season. If Dean doesn't go to SF, they may have had a harder time winning the SB, and maybe Cincy, Dallas, or the Chargers win that year. As a result, the Niner Dynasty might never have gotten off the ground, and the West Coast Offense wouldn't have been as widespread.

Tuck Rule = Rudy Cool!!!!

The new and MUCH improved Green Bay Scat

I Bleed Black and Gold

Comment

Gary Anderson. That's all I'm going to say.

Comment

Last edited by yourfavestoner; 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM.

Comment

For me, the most obvious is the tuck rule. If that call doesn't screw Oakland and the team at least plays competitively against Pittsburgh (they would have), I'm betting Gruden doesn't get traded. Then, in 2002, maybe the playbook doesn't open up as much, but Oakland would have still fielded that amazing team. Whether they win the Superbowl or not, who knows, but they wouldn't have fallen on hard times with such a *thump*.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
            Gary Anderson. That's all I'm going to say.
            My balls, they are being smahed....

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
            Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              For me, the most obvious is the tuck rule. If that call doesn't screw Oakland and the team at least plays competitively against Pittsburgh (they would have), I'm betting Gruden doesn't get traded. Then, in 2002, maybe the playbook doesn't open up as much, but Oakland would have still fielded that amazing team. Whether they win the Superbowl or not, who knows, but they wouldn't have fallen on hard times with such a *thump*.
              Yeah not only that but without it maybe the Patriots would go on to become a different team in the future. You never really know.

Comment

January 7th, 1996 - It's cold in Kansas City. Really cold. Air temp of 11* with a strong wind blowing to -9* wind chill. The Chiefs are playing in the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs. They finished the 1995 season 13-3, best record in the NFL, and have locked up homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The Chiefs are heavy favorites over the Colts. Lin Frickin Elliott (his name has become a curse word in KC. It's very close to how Ray Finklestien is treated in his hometown.) misses 3 FGs during the game. One from 35, one from 39 and one from 42 yds away. All 3 very makeable. All three very much missed!! Chiefs lose to the Colts 10-7. We had one of the best defenses in the NFL and who knows what could have been. Those 3 missed FGs stick out in my mind as the Chiefs biggest missed opportunity

That was the beginning of the end for Schottenhiemer in KC. Granted he lasted another couple seasons, but you could tell thingsd were different. It also brought back to light his inability to "win the big games". Just or not, it's his legacy.
                Last edited by King Carls 5 Year Plan; 07-11-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
                  January 7th, 1996 - It's cold in Kansas City. Really cold. Air temp of 11* with a strong wind blowing to -9* wind chill. The Chiefs are playing in the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs. They finished the 1995 season 13-3, best record in the NFL, and have locked up homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The Chiefs are heavy favorites over the Colts. Lin Frickin Elliott (his name has become a curse word in KC. It's very close to how Ray Finklestien is treated in his hometown.) misses 3 FGs during the game. One from 35, one from 39 and one from 42 yds away. All 3 very makeable. All three very much missed!! Chiefs lose to the Colts 10-7. We had one of the best defenses in the NFL and who knows what could have been. Those 3 missed FGs stick out in my mind as the Chiefs biggest missed opportunity

That was the beginning of the end for Schottenhiemer in KC. Granted he lasted another couple seasons, but you could tell thingsd were different. It also brought back to light his inability to "win the big games". Just or not, it's his legacy.
                  I think that the Steelers would have beaten them the next week, anyway. They were the better team, and playing on the road in an AFC Title game would have made a difference. They tended to choke a little bit at home in the playoffs under Cowher. Also, I think that the 95 Chiefs were a paper tiger. That team had no business being 13-3.

Comment

The Tuck Rule call in the Snow Bowl game a very obvious one. Two teams that had lots of talent and promise that went in very different directions during the next decade.

Another huge one is Mo Lewis knocking out Drew Bledsoe setting the stage for Brady

David Tyree's catch in the Pats/NYG Super Bowl

Music City Miracle

Drew Brees' shoulder injury on that hit
                    Last edited by Don Vito; 07-11-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Does preseason count? If so, Trent Green getting his ACL torn, opening the door for Kurt Warner.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post

Drew Brees' shoulder injury on that hit
                        I'm just curious on this one. As I remember he was as good as gone anyway as it was the last year of his contract and the Chargers wanted Rivers to be the starter.

Comment

David Tyree's out of nowhere catch in February 2008, which ruined the most perfect season in sports history.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                            I'm just curious on this one. As I remember he was as good as gone anyway as it was the last year of his contract and the Chargers wanted Rivers to be the starter.
                            I thought the injury was before Rivers was drafted but I guess I was wrong good call

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                              David Tyree's out of nowhere catch in February 2008, which ruined the most perfect season in sports history.
                              I won't go that far. As a Giants fan, it was a great and memorable play, but let's keep it in perspective. That play only got us a first down. From 3-5 to 1st and 10 on the Pats side of the field. After that, they still had a 3rd and long on us, and chances to stop us. We still had to score. It's not like Tyree caught it in the endzone, to win it. We still had to score, and they still had chances to stop us. It was a great play and memorable, perhaps even epic. But at the end of the day, it only gave us a first down.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information