No announcement yet.

Roger Goodell: Fans have made it clear, they don't like preseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like preseason because you get to see the little known guys who would never play, play. And yeah, many good guys get cut because of room.

You guys have obviously not heard of the legend of Isaac Redman.

He is a god. The end.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
      Love this idea. Know what else they could do? Add more teams to the playoffs. Add anywhere between 2-4 teams to the playoff race for each conference.

The case could be made for either 2 or 3 preseason games for evaluation purposes and I can agree with either side. Adding another bye week is critical, imo, especially with the injuries and concussion issues. Adding another week for the playoffs would be something everyone would enjoy. It also makes it more competitive.
      I don't like the expand post season idea....I think the NFL has a happy medium when it comes to the playoffs. Just the right amount of teams make it in compared to the NBA where it seems like barely .500 (or worse) teams slip in every year, over half the league, and the overly restrictive MLB with only 4 teams.

And I do have to agree with the point that we are the exception. I like the preseason too, but this board has a lot of hardcore fans and we all love to see the no namers we followed all through the draft hit the field, even if it doesn't count. But 90% of fans hate meaningless football and watching scrubs play.

Comment

watching a team go 1-17 or 2-16 is hardly going to make the league more money.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
          Well he's behind the best 1-2 punch RB's in the NFL. The BEST.
          Did Tyrell get any carries last year? How did he look?
          He did.looked fast

He even started one game at FB when Hoover was out.

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            Piss off Goodell. I like the preseason...and some of these later round or undrafted guys need all the time they can get to make an impression.

Dallas has a bunch of these guys playing key roles on the team right now...if preseason was cut years ago, we may not have some of our best players today.

Tony Romo: undrafted
            Miles Austin: undrafted
            Patrick Crayton: 7th round
            Sam Hurd: undrafted
            Kevin Ogletree: undrafted
            Jay Ratliff: 7th round
            Stephen Bowen: undrafted
            Alan Ball: 7th round
            Mat Mcbriar: undrafted

That's only 5 starters...4 of which are pro bowlers. They all earned their way on, cutting preseason down is asinine.
            To the contrary, an 18 game season would mean that you get to see MORE of these guys. Rosters would have to be expanded, and you'll see a lot of guys you don't see now because there will be a lot more substitutions and rotations.

He's right in that I hate the preseason and would like more real games. He left out that I hate him and what he did to the draft, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Monomach View Post
              To the contrary, an 18 game season would mean that you get to see MORE of these guys. Rosters would have to be expanded.
              Yeah but they would never see the field. In preseason they are getting a lot of reps and showing what kind of an impact they could make.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                Yeah but they would never see the field. In preseason they are getting a lot of reps and showing what kind of an impact they could make.
                They would see the field a lot. The rosters would be expanded because they would be needed, not just because. These guys would see more playing time than they do now because rotations would be necessary at almost every position.

Comment

Why can't Roger Goodell just leave things alone... he had to go tweak the draft and made it worse. He's trying to tweak the season, which will make it worse.

Just leave **** alone.

Comment

They would see the field a lot. The rosters would be expanded because they would be needed, not just because. These guys would see more playing time than they do now because rotations would be necessary at almost every position.
                    A teams 5th and 6th and maybe even 7th WR are still not going to get many snaps if they extend the season unless there are injuries. And even that's kind of questionable considering they will most likely just be moving up a slot on the depth chart.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                      Why can't Roger Goodell just leave things alone... he had to go tweak the draft and made it worse. He's trying to tweak the season, which will make it worse.

Just leave **** alone.
                      How was the draft worse? I thought it was more interesting because the period between the 1st and 2nd rounds usually doesn't have much interest. Now, teams had an entire night to try to get deals done for players and fans had the entire night to speculate on who would be drafted at the top of round 2 as well as first round snubs.

I don't think it was a great improvement, but I imagine it was a huge money boost for the NFL.

edit: The NFL NEEDS pre-season, whether the fans want it or not.
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                        How was the draft worse? I thought it was more interesting because the period between the 1st and 2nd rounds usually doesn't have much interest. Now, teams had an entire night to try to get deals done for players and fans had the entire night to speculate on who would be drafted at the top of round 2 as well as first round snubs.

I don't think it was a great improvement, but I imagine it was a huge money boost for the NFL.
                        It's all about tradition. All of us draftniks liked getting up on Saturday and watching hours and hours of the draft.

And yes, it was a huge money boost for the NFL. That's why they did it.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post

edit: The NFL NEEDS pre-season, whether the fans want it or not.
                          Thursday night competing against other TV as well as sports like NBA playoff games is fricking ********. And if I'm a team like Carolina last year, why even watch the 1st round since I don't have a pick.

It takes too damn long. And I don't know about you, but many people like together on a saturday/sunday to watch the draft, eat, drink, etc.

And for all the talk about deals getting done at the top of round 2, no deals were done. None.

The 2 day format was golden... it's Christmas in April. Goodell seems desperate to make it freaking Hannukah. Let's just have 1 round every day for a week. It's just idiotic.

Comment

Goodell's an ass. I'm getting really sick of him and his changing of all these different components. I like preseason games but I wouldn't mind if they went to 3 games. Getting rid of 2 preseason games and adding 2 regular season games is asinine.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

How do you figure? They wouldnt see the field at all. The playing time wont be any different. These are two extra real games...the starters will play 17 or 18 weeks on every team, depending on their playoff status.

And seeing these guys in practice, could only help you so much. Preseason actually gives you a chance to see the lesser names in some kind of action. 2 regular season games isnt helping them any. They're not going to play. On the contrary to that...we're going to see statistical records being broken from the players that are starting.

The rosters would need to be expanded for precautionary injury concern, and it's more about the game day roster being expanded. Nothing has been agreed to...but they may just increase game day roster size in the end. And that's only for injury purposes. So unless someone gets hurt...these unproven guys still arent playing. If they're even given the opportunity to be on the team via an expanded roster.
                              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

If they really did do this they would have to get rid of IR and make a system more similar to MLB. They would need a 4 game DL, 8 game DL, 12 game DL or something like that.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information