No announcement yet.

Glen Coffee retiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Coffee told Coach Sing today that one of the reasons he left Alabama early was because he had uncertainties regarding his future in football.

I really wish they'd have known that pre-draft! And if they did... Oh man.
    Last edited by phlysac; 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
      Apparently Coffee told Coach Sing today that one of the reasons he left Alabama early was because he had uncertainties regarding his future in football.

I don't know who drafted him, but I don't see Singletary drafting a guy who isn't 100% dedicated to football.
      **** her in da *****!

Comment

This decision is nuttier than Charles Manson eating Froot Loops on my front porch.

He can do much more for god and the community by getting wealthy and perusing ministry on the side rather then going into ministry full time at 23. Think of the foundations and projects he can start with that $$.

(PFT had a tweet with a beat writer saying he wouldn't be surprised if Coffee goes into Ministry)

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post

See? I've got a feeling this is more common that you think.

I was burnt out on football by the end of my senior season in high school. I had a couple offers at small, small schools. I do not regret the decision to not play at all. In fact, it was probably the best decision I ever made and led to much more personal happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
            I don't know who drafted him, but I don't see Singletary drafting a guy who isn't 100% dedicated to football.
            Meh, you can still say the right things and give a convincing effort to something even if your heart isn't all the way in it. I know plenty of people who hate their job. But you wouldn't know it because they take self-pride in their work, keep the complaining to themselves, and grind it out for a check.
            Last edited by yourfavestoner; 08-13-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlife View Post
              Whatever floats your boat.
              Yep, everybody has to answer to the man upstairs at some point in time.
              Kudos to Mister Coffee for listening to Him now, before it's too late.
              IF that's what the case is here.....

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                See? I've got a feeling this is more common that you think.

I was burnt out on football by the end of my senior season in high school. I had a couple offers at small, small schools. I do not regret the decision to not play at all. In fact, it was probably the best decision I ever made and led to much more personal happiness.
                And perhaps saved you from a torn ACL or broken leg. You'll never know.

Comment

Good for him. When it comes to playing football, you simply can't do it if you're not in it. And maybe he left early enough to be able to climb freely up and down stairs and play with his grandkids(depending on how priesty he gets)

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

people talk about God, Coffee dedicated his life to him. respect and wish him luck, but he shouldn't need it.
                    CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                    JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Shame. I wanted to see what he could do with all of the apparent improvement he had made in the offseason.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

I never thought he was a great hb in the first place. Hopefully he is "retiring" for the reason he says, if so props to him.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

Exclusive phone interview with Glen Coffee...

Coffee: I've already told Christ it's time to go

I called Glen Coffee at his Los Gatos apartment at 8:30 this morning. When I told him who I was, he said he was told not to talk to the media. But he said he would because, "I feel like it needs to be known why I did what I did." Coffee seemed very confidant of his decision and was happy and thoughtful throughout the conversation. There is an ongoing push - from teammates, family members, etc. - to get him to return to the team, but it's very hard to see them winning Coffee over. If you ask me, his decision is final. Here's the exclusive interview:

The first question I asked him was why, why step away from such a lucrative profession?

Coffee: "It was a struggle for a long time. Actually when I look back I feel I never should have entered the draft in the first place. Football was no longer my dream. I found Christ in college. It changed my views on everything. But I still was a football player because it was expected of me, it was something I did all my life. I was basically wasting the (49ers') time."

Why do you think you couldn't reconcile football and your faith?

Coffee: "His will, I felt, wasn't football. I felt like I forced football because everyone expected me to play football. He told me a long time ago to walk away from the game."

What will you do now?

Coffee: "It's simple. I'm going back to school." Coffee, who left the University of Alabama after his junior year, said he needed only six hours to get an undergraduate degree in consumer affairs. However, he plans to get a master's as well.

I noted that Alabama associates him with football more than anywhere else. Will it be hard to return to a school that knows you as a tailback?

Coffee: "It's going to be both. There's going to be people that understand and there's going to be people that don't understand and don't care to understand. They're going to feed off that negativity. That's life."

There has been speculation that outside influences, something like a failed drug test, prompted your decision. Can you put that to rest?

Coffee (laughs): "Yesterday I was reading on the Internet and some reporter said I made the decision because I got blown up in a blocking drill. Come on, man! Give me more credit than that! But I've got to expect that when I do something so unexpectedly. No, there were no personal issues. But I really am sorry that I put the 49ers in this situation. I should have handled it a lot differently."

You've been working nonstop since the 2009 season ended to transform your body and become a better running back. How do you do that when your mind's not fully into football?

Coffee: "Because whatever you do, you've got to do it to glorify Christ. You've got to do it 100 percent. Even though my head - it was sort of me holding onto the sport. I tried to get all the way into it."

Did the harshness of Mike Singletary's training camp play a role?

Coffee: "No. It's what we do. We're football players. I'm not walking away because of that. As far as coach Singletary and the 49ers - Singletary, that dude is legit. He's legit on all levels. He's doing what he feels is right. It's definitely not camp (that prompted his decision) and how hard camp was. That's football."

Was it difficult to tell Singletary your decision Friday morning?

Coffee: "It wasn't necessarily that I thought he was going to me mad at me. It was that I didn't take lightly that I was leaving my teammates. Because they thought I was going to war with them."

Any way you will reconsider?

Coffee: "No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."
                          http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-ive-alre.html

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't get why this is a big deal? If it was Frank Gore, sure, but it's Glen Coffee. Meh.

Comment

Cool for him and I can respect that, football is not a game you can play if your heart isn't in to it he is better off he could have ended up getting hurt if is mind/heart wasn't in to the game.

Comment

http://www.tmz.com/2010/10/08/ex-nfl...-the-mug-shot/

"Glen Coffee -- the former San Francisco 49ers star who recently retired after one season to pursue a religious calling -- was arrested for illegally carrying a "cocked" automatic pistol in his car ... and TMZ has obtained his mug shot.

According to police in Fort Walton Beach, Florida ... 23-year-old Coffee was pulled over for speeding ... but cops quickly discovered that Glen's vehicle -- a 2008 Cadillac -- had no registration or insurance.

Because the vehicle was deemed "unlawful to be on the roadway," cops called for the Cadillac to be towed ... but first, they ran a quick search -- and found a "black 380 SIG Sauer automatic pistol."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ ... "The pistol was recovered with the hammer 'cocked' to the rear. It was located in the center console ... readily accessible to Coffee."

Coffee was arrested and taken to a nearby station -- where he was booked for carrying a concealed firearm ... a 3rd degree felony.

Coffee had a stellar rookie season with the 49ers ... but suddenly "retired" during training camp this year claiming "[God] told me a long time ago to walk away from the game.”

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information