Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former 1st round pick Kentwan Balmer traded

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-deal-bal.html

Kentwan Balmer, the 49ers' former first-round pick who has gone AWOL from the team in recent days, is on his way to the Seattle Seahawks, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
    I've been told that the 49ers will get a sixth-round pick in return for Balmer.
    Went from 1st round pick to being traded for a 6th in 2 years. What a waste. I think he could be a decent backup for Seattle though, i doubt he'll ever be an effective starter. Also notable is former 49ers GM Scot McCloughan (the man who drafted Balmer) now works in the Seahawks personnel department.

Never liked him coming out.

I thought they goofed up passing on Quentin Groves. Shows how much I know.

Comment

Can someone fill us in on his camp disappearing act?

Comment

I cant remember reading a whole lot of positive stuff about Balmer as a prospect, or about the selection by the Niners.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I still cant believe we took that asshole over Kenny Phillips.

**** you, Mike Nolan.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
            Can someone fill us in on his camp disappearing act?

Condensed version

Balmer left the 49ers a week ago after a source said he became disgruntled with his plummeting spot on the team's depth chart. There was also speculation Balmer might have also been upset that, as a first-round pick, he never started a game in two seasons. He left the team shortly after this year's first-round picks, Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, were elevated into the starting lineup before the team's first exhibition game.

Balmer did not appear for the team's practices last Monday. He met with coach Mike Singletary that evening and was granted a leave for "personal reasons." But when Balmer did not report for practice Wednesday, the club sent him a "five-day letter."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/16/10/4...89&feedID=5936

Comment

Ryan Sims, Kentwan Balmer............ Marvin Austin? Do not want.
              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
              RIP themaninblack

Comment

What a huge bust. He hasn't done a damn thing since being drafted, yet he wants to start? Lol ok. Be happy you got a signing bonus for no production.

I don't think he would have done much better in a 4-3 either to be honest, he didn't even look like he was a good pass rusher that would do better in space.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Even a 6th seems high to me.

Comment

They look dumb for taking him #1 but, all the people who drafted him are gone now, nobody owned him, & there's lots of blame to distribute.

9ers in the mkt. for RBs & DEs now.

Comment

I imagine he'll challenge Red Bryant to start at LDE in Seattle. So far most of the players the Hawks have traded for this year have played pretty well.
                      "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

People need to realize how much Balmer will be missed on Special Teams. (sarcasm)

His only real contribution to the team in 2 seasons was his 7 kick returns for 47 yards.

Comment

It is not like Balmer was terrible but the problem was that he wasn't anything above mediocre because of his poor technique and leverage. He has a lot of talent and defensive linemen usually take a few years to develop so maybe he will work out in Seattle. At worst he will be an adequate, if unspectacular starter, or good back-up

Comment

I still can't believe they drafted Balmer in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                              It is not like Balmer was terrible but the problem was that he wasn't anything above mediocre because of his poor technique and leverage. He has a lot of talent and defensive linemen usually take a few years to develop so maybe he will work out in Seattle. At worst he will be an adequate, if unspectacular starter, or good back-up
                              I rode this wagon up until this training camp. He is making the extremely difficult transition from college to NFL 3-4 DE and he had strong vets Justin Smith and Isaac Sopaga ahead of him. His injury bugs didn't help.

All of that went out the window this camp. He was healthy and had 2 years of experience and had fallen behind not only Smith and Sopoaga but Ray McDonald and Demetric Evans as well. He was a 1st rounder who was 5th on the depth chart and instead of using that as fuelk to improve and get some action he quit the team because he wasn't getting enough reps and hadn't started any games.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information