No announcement yet.

Willis or Revis ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revis allowed the Jets to go zero coverage and blitz like crazy. The Jets' front-seven isn't really all that great and they have no elite pass rushers, but Revis afforded them the opportunity to go after the QB with almost reckless abandon. The benefits of having a great corner trickles down and helps the rest of the defense. One could argue that a dominant NT or 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB offer the same benefits, but not MLB.

If an Offensive Line can handle the NT and get a guard to the second level, even Ray Lewis is powerless to stop it. Hence my reference to the '04 Chiefs game against the Ravens. A Guard > any MLB every day.

A Linebackers job is to prevent big plays, make sure tackles, intimidate receivers in the middle of the field and make sure everyone is in the right gap. But they don't impact every other position like a NT, DE, CB do. A very good/great MLB can be on a terrible defense and not make a difference to no fault of his own; see, Jon Beason and Barrett Rudd last year.
    Last edited by Shiver; 08-24-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
      I wasn't trying to suggest any different. I understand that its a symbiotic relationship between the two...in fact, I said that exact same thing in an earlier post in this thread. Shiver was the one who was suggesting that it wasn't a two way relationship and that Linebackers, not Corners, are the ones who benefit from good defensive line play. But it does go both ways, with both groups of players.
      Yeah, I agree that both benefit.

What I think he was trying to convey however (and I hope I'm not putting words in his mouth), is that a linebacker's relationship with the defensive line is more dependent than that of a CB.

While a CB relies on dline play as well, bc they can counter that dependence with significant help to the dline as well, it kind of balances out.

Whereas with a linebacker, without the dline he's dead in the water, and unlike a CB, he cannot provide as much help back to the dline to make their lives any easier.

A linebacker can technically help the pass rush, but not nearly as much as a CB (4-3 backers and 3-4 ILBs that is), and a great one can help stuff the run sure, but in theory, he's just a tackler who is filling a gap. He doesn't effect the Xs and Os the same way a shutdown CB can.

Comment

• That's right.

I said Revis is OVERRATED. Period. People need to stop listening to ******* ESPN and believe every damn thing they say.

And yes, I said that Samuel is the BEST PLAYMAKING CB in the league. I never said he was the best tackler or cover guy. I know he's not but like I said, he's the BEST PLAYMAKING CB in the league. Samuel has 29 INT's in 62 games and after Ed Reed, is the best playmaker in the playoffs.

But hey, like I always say in the 49ers forum, to each his/her own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shahin View Post
          i've been watching Nnamdi be the best corner in the league
          So, Charles, tell me, how are things these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
            That's right.

I said Revis is OVERRATED. Period. People need to stop listening to ******* ESPN and believe every damn thing they say.
            Or you know, we can just watch Revis play and see him shut down every WR he played against last year. We don't need ESPN for that.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
              So, Charles, tell me, how are things these days?
              no clue what you mean there, but i assume you are somehow bitching about my grammar or punctuation?

"i've been watching Nnamdi be the best corner in the league since his 8-interception season in '06."

RIP ST

Comment

• Preeeetty sure he's talking about Charles Woodson there.
                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                  Preeeetty sure he's talking about Charles Woodson there.
                  Smart TitanHope is smart.

Charles Woodson (Praised Be His Name) is such a studmuffin.

Comment

• :/ harborside health center is my excuse for my brain fart earlier.

RIP ST

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information