No announcement yet.

Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I don't know how we will do this year if both VJ and McNeill are gone. VJ's lost could be offset by having Matthews there and running the ball more effectively unlike last year with LT. Additionally, we'll probably involve more of the other tight ends not named Gates, specifically McMichael. I just feel that if Brees can survive without a true number 1 at wideout, that Rivers will be okay as well since he loves to spread the ball around a lot as well.

Of course, it could turn out to be like the Merriman situation 2008 all over again for us. I just think we're slightly more prepared this time. But who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Regardless...AJ is a huge douche and extremely difficult to work with.
      He comes off douchey but it still doesn't change the fact that he's extremely successful at what he does just like the other good GMs in other franchises like the Colts, Patriots, and the Steelers. AJ just has the same problems that every good GM in the league is going to run into with contract negotiations when dealing with certain players. Most of the time, around 95%, I would wager, everything goes smooth, but you're going to run into difficulty now and then.

And I would wager that Rivers and Gates would differ with you on AJ being difficult to work with. Gates, in particular, learned his lesson from 2005 and found the right way to get a contract extension with the team. Unfortunately, VJ and McNeill didn't follow suit.
      Last edited by Xenos; 08-22-2010, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I still don't think Jackson is going to be all that missed. You were going to be without him the first 3 games regardless, and I think with an elite QB, you'll be fine with Gates, Floyd and Naane. Plus more effort to run the ball wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Honestly, I don't know how we will do this year if both VJ and McNeill are gone. VJ's lost could be offset by having Matthews there and running the ball more effectively unlike last year with LT. Additionally, we'll probably involve more of the other tight ends not named Gates, specifically McMichael. I just feel that if Brees can survive without a true number 1 at wideout, that Rivers will be okay as well since he loves to spread the ball around a lot as well.

Of course, it could turn out to be like the Merriman situation 2008 all over again for us. I just think we're slightly more prepared this time. But who knows.
          The Saints offensive line is much much better than the Chargers, although I do agree that the run game can be more effective without McNeil because he is a lousy run blocker.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Ugh! This is the part of pro sports that makes me wish I liked College better. It's absolute ********, I understand that fact that these players money-making careers are only so long and they are trying to lock up their lives and their families lives with these contracts but in the end they are screwing themselves over. Sitting out half a season of a possibly only 10-year career could be the difference between being set for life and getting screwed over any way and I just don't understand why Jackson (because it seems that McNeil will sign) would put an entire season of his career in jeopardy like this and possibly screw over a team that had Super Bowl aspirations. This kind of ******** is what will **** a teams chemistry and completely screw over any chance the Chargers have because even if McNeil signs and they lose Jackson I can't see them pulling together the same way as say the Giants with Strahan did when they made a run....this kind of super star ******** (and don't get me started on ******* Darrelle Revis) will always piss me off.
            I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
              The Saints offensive line is much much better than the Chargers, although I do agree that the run game can be more effective without McNeil because he is a lousy run blocker.
              With the exception of one second rounder on the line, I think the Saints lines were all low round pick as well similar to the Chargers. I'm saying they're not talented, but I think you can't knock out down just because of an aging running back last year. Especially when our oline had so many injuries last year. We never had a consistent oline compared to the Saints. Someone would get injured and have to be replaced. And just when the line starts to gel, another injury happens and ruins the chemistry again.

Comment

Evans and Nicks is probably the best guard tandem in the league, both are top 5 IMO.

How is Colston not a true number 1 receiver BTW? I hear that a lot around here.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post

How is Colston not a true number 1 receiver BTW? I hear that a lot around here.
                  It's the ears.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                    I still don't think Jackson is going to be all that missed. You were going to be without him the first 3 games regardless, and I think with an elite QB, you'll be fine with Gates, Floyd and Naane. Plus more effort to run the ball wouldn't hurt.
                    Agreed.

He will me missed but not greatly that said they need to lock up McNeill ASAP, I agree with Brodeur that his play has dropped off but he is still their best LT and they have no depth.
                    Last edited by Splat; 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I'm not too worried about the Charger offense because they've been shuffling players in and out every season since 2004, but have still remained in the top 5 in scoring every year. Rivers' passing numbers may decline a bit, but you take that if the running game is more efficient.

Defense is what I'm worried about. There are holes in the secondary and our pass-rushing OLB's need to pass rush.

Remember A.J. Smith comes from the Bill Polian school of GM's. Indy is very careful with their money, paying only the true franchise cornerstones, and trusting their scouting and player development above anything else. He definitely has the reputation of a hard-ass but he is really no different from Polian.
                      aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
                        He definitely has the reputation of a hard-ass but he is really no different from Polian.
                        But he is different. I've never heard of Smith shoving staff members from opposing teams up against the wall or pumping in crowd noise or pushing for rule changes to directly benefit his own team ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                          But he is different. I've never heard of Smith shoving staff members from opposing teams up against the wall or pumping in crowd noise or pushing for rule changes to directly benefit his own team ;)
                          Okay, they're both hard-asses, heh.
                          aka KGB Chicken

Comment

In all the hooplah of the Chargers this season, I almost entirely forgot about Darren Sproles for some reason.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                              He comes off douchey but it still doesn't change the fact that he's extremely successful at what he does just like the other good GMs in other franchises like the Colts, Patriots, and the Steelers. AJ just has the same problems that every good GM in the league is going to run into with contract negotiations when dealing with certain players. Most of the time, around 95%, I would wager, everything goes smooth, but you're going to run into difficulty now and then.

And I would wager that Rivers and Gates would differ with you on AJ being difficult to work with. Gates, in particular, learned his lesson from 2005 and found the right way to get a contract extension with the team. Unfortunately, VJ and McNeill didn't follow suit.
                              How successful has he really been, though? He has yet to get a team to the Super Bowl, much less win it. I'm not saying he isn't a good GM but I think people consider him amongst the elite, which I really don't feel like he is.

They've made fairly deep runs in the playoffs and won the division consistently but in a pretty bad/mediocre division for quite some time now.

I just think he's ass, personally. An ass who's good at his job, but lets his personal feelings and ego get in the way of doing that job. That's just my opinion though, and I could be completely off base.
                              (shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by rockio42 View Post
                                Ugh! This is the part of pro sports that makes me wish I liked College better. It's absolute ********, I understand that fact that these players money-making careers are only so long and they are trying to lock up their lives and their families lives with these contracts but in the end they are screwing themselves over. Sitting out half a season of a possibly only 10-year career could be the difference between being set for life and getting screwed over any way and I just don't understand why Jackson (because it seems that McNeil will sign) would put an entire season of his career in jeopardy like this and possibly screw over a team that had Super Bowl aspirations. This kind of ******** is what will **** a teams chemistry and completely screw over any chance the Chargers have because even if McNeil signs and they lose Jackson I can't see them pulling together the same way as say the Giants with Strahan did when they made a run....this kind of super star ******** (and don't get me started on ******* Darrelle Revis) will always piss me off.
                                Because if the CBA problem was fixed they would be FA's so it is basically time for them to get the big money, waiting is over.
                                RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information