Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Buster Davis will get a chance to see the field this year, hopefully he finally has a break out season? lol it'd be nice to see it happen though.


    Comment


    • #47
      No offense, but McNeill isn't good enough for a long term deal and Jackson is a huge risk (he could be gone for the year easily). The Chargers are screwing this up but they were smart to stay away from giving either a big guaranteed deal.

      AJ is still an idiot though, because he's f***ing the Patriots hopes for a top 5 pick from the Raiders :(

      edit: In contrast, Mankins is an elite (or at least very good) Guard and isn't a problem off the field. He just wants more than he's worth. All 3 should be FAs though. [I wish the Patriots would just trade Mankins for a 1st or 2nd round pick]
      Last edited by descendency; 08-22-2010, 10:22 PM.
      **** her in da *****!

      Comment


      • #48
        In AJ We Trust.

        He's a smart man and a draft guru, I'll let him work his magic on this.


        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by descendency View Post
          edit: In contrast, Mankins is an elite (or at least very good) Guard and isn't a problem off the field. He just wants more than he's worth. All 3 should be FAs though. [I wish the Patriots would just trade Mankins for a 1st or 2nd round pick]
          If I were the GM of the Bears I'd hand over our first for Mankins. Honestly, Mankins at LG and only playing 4 lineman would be better than what we currently have with Garza and Lance Louis starting. I don't even think I'm exaggerating all that much either.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by descendency;2266891[b
            ]No offense, but McNeill isn't good enough for a long term deal[/b] and Jackson is a huge risk (he could be gone for the year easily). The Chargers are screwing this up but they were smart to stay away from giving either a big guaranteed deal.

            AJ is still an idiot though, because he's f***ing the Patriots hopes for a top 5 pick from the Raiders :(

            edit: In contrast, Mankins is an elite (or at least very good) Guard and isn't a problem off the field. He just wants more than he's worth. All 3 should be FAs though. [I wish the Patriots would just trade Mankins for a 1st or 2nd round pick]
            That's the big kicker here. McNeil had a lights out rookie season but has steadily regressed since. Why give a long-term deal (that's probably going to put him in the top 5 highest paid tackles in the league) to a player that has been getting worse every year?

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Forenci View Post
              How successful has he really been, though? He has yet to get a team to the Super Bowl, much less win it. I'm not saying he isn't a good GM but I think people consider him amongst the elite, which I really don't feel like he is.

              They've made fairly deep runs in the playoffs and won the division consistently but in a pretty bad/mediocre division for quite some time now.

              I just think he's ass, personally. An ass who's good at his job, but lets his personal feelings and ego get in the way of doing that job. That's just my opinion though, and I could be completely off base.
              His job is to gather talent on the team. Everything after that is coaching and luck. His mentor Polian has more experience as a GM than him, and yet has only won one Superbowl.

              The truth of the matter is that he's very much a huge factor in our most successful era as a franchise compared to Coryell or even the Beathard era where we actually did make the Superbowl.
              Last edited by Xenos; 08-22-2010, 11:31 PM.

              Comment


              • #52
                Get Jackson out of the AFC west and I will be real happy. Gets rid of the Chargers best WR. Just got to stop Gates


                "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                @SirStackAlot707

                Comment


                • #53
                  I don't understand why he doesn't sign Vincent Jackson. I can see why they wouldn't want to extend McNeil. It seems like a good GM would have seen this coming and handled it better. If Jackson and McNeil weren't part of the long term plan then he should have dealt them before the draft. Teams generally know if contract problems are coming. I think Smith has sat on these guys and lost trade value. It seems to me that he is passing on improving the Chargers to play personal games.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                    I don't understand why he doesn't sign Vincent Jackson. I can see why they wouldn't want to extend McNeil. It seems like a good GM would have seen this coming and handled it better. If Jackson and McNeil weren't part of the long term plan then he should have dealt them before the draft. Teams generally know if contract problems are coming. I think Smith has sat on these guys and lost trade value. It seems to me that he is passing on improving the Chargers to play personal games.
                    Jackson is one more offense away from a possible year long suspension and he wants a lot more money than he is worth.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                      Jackson is one more offense away from a possible year long suspension and he wants a lot more money than he is worth.
                      If he gets suspended can't they go after his signing bonus? If they know his history can't they put a clause in his contract that deals with off the field incidents? I'm not sure what is allowed.

                      Why are they only allowing the Seahawks to talk to him? Doesn't that seem like they don't want him to find a trade partner?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                        If he gets suspended can't they go after his signing bonus? If they know his history can't they put a clause in his contract that deals with off the field incidents? I'm not sure what is allowed.

                        Why are they only allowing the Seahawks to talk to him? Doesn't that seem like they don't want him to find a trade partner?
                        It's possible that they could write something like that in. I know there are restrictions on going after a guys signing bonus though...I've read all kinds of things on both sides of the argument so I'm not actually sure what's allowed and what isn't.

                        They also probably want him out of the conference, and perhaps the Seahawks are the only NFC to inquire.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                          I don't understand why he doesn't sign Vincent Jackson. I can see why they wouldn't want to extend McNeil. It seems like a good GM would have seen this coming and handled it better. If Jackson and McNeil weren't part of the long term plan then he should have dealt them before the draft. Teams generally know if contract problems are coming. I think Smith has sat on these guys and lost trade value. It seems to me that he is passing on improving the Chargers to play personal games.
                          From what I hear they did try to negotiate a new contract with him before, but then he got his second DUI and negotiations stopped. And then he had the suspended license issue before the Jets game. And even after all that, I think they would have tried to work something out if he had signed his original tender like the 200 other RFA (Miles Austin comes to mind). Of course, that was before I learned that he wanted to be the highest paid wide receiver in the NFL.

                          Really, you can't really blame Smith if he can't negotiate that much for someone like VJ. Especially since he's not the one the offense runs through. That honor belongs to both Rivers and Gates. Hopefully Mathews becomes one of them in the future as well.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                            His job is to gather talent on the team. Everything after that is coaching and luck. His mentor Polian has more experience as a GM than him, and yet has only won one Superbowl.

                            The truth of the matter is that he's very much a huge factor in our most successful era as a franchise compared to Coryell or even the Beathard era where we actually did make the Superbowl.
                            To be fair, Polians had what, 6+ teams get there as a GM?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
                              To be fair, Polians had what, 6+ teams get there as a GM?
                              What is it, four with the Bills and two with the Colts?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Word on the street has it that Atlanta has gotten permission to talk to Vincent Jackson. With the injuries to rookie WR Kerry Meier and veteran WR Michael Jenkins (along with Harry Douglas coming off of an ACL tear), "Coach Mike Smith [has] said there's a possibility the Falcons sign another wide receiver after the 53-man roster is established and Meier goes on IR." -Falcons RapidReports.

                                I don't know how they do it if VJ wants 9 million dollars a year, especially with so much money tied into Roddy. But the thought of that offense has me wet.

                                "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information