Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
    Yes to the first and no to the second, though I don't see why the first wouldn't be included and the second rarely happens. Maybe I should say game winning drives, drives that put your team ahead when they were behind or tied in the 4th quarter. Manning has more of those as well.
    9 years, 16 game each. That's 144 games for each player. I'm sure there has been at least a couple blown late scoring drives. Also, do you have a link for these stats? Not that I don't believe you, but I'd like to see confirmation.

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
    And taking out Brady's best games in the playoffs won't hurt his numbers?
    Let's see. This is after we remove both player's two best playoff performances.
    354/582 (60.8%), 3645 yards, 6.3 yards per attempt, 22 TD, 15 INT, 81.2 Rating

386/633 (60.9%), 4329 yards, 6.8 yards per attempt, 19 TD, 18 INT, 79.6 Rating

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
      Not recently. For their last 6 playoff games Manning has 11 touchdowns to 5 interceptions and only one multiple interception game (both came on tipped passes and he threw for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns). Brady has 11 touchdowns to 10 interceptions and 3 multiple interception games (all with 3 interceptions). They are both 3-3. Ever since the Patriots defense went from elite to only pretty good, honestly, Brady has not performed all too well in the playoffs.
      So Brady used to be far superior to him, and they've been pretty much even in the last three years. They both made it to a Superbowl and lost a game they were favored in. Since said loss, Brady has also missed a season to injury and played another season at what looked to be around 80%. I still fail to see how that propels Manning ahead of him.

I will laugh when Brady has another FU Year this season (contract year for him and Moss) and everyone will rushing to put him back atop the mountain like they did during the 2007 season.

Comment

• Also two of Brady's best games have been in the Super Bowl, not divisional playoff games against the Broncos and Chiefs defenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
          9 years, 16 game each. That's 144 games for each player. I'm sure there has been at least a couple blown late scoring drives. Also, do you have a link for these stats? Not that I don't believe you, but I'd like to see confirmation.
          Pro Football Reference

Let's see. This is after we remove both player's two best playoff performances.
          354/582 (60.8%), 3645 yards, 6.3 yards per attempt, 22 TD, 15 INT, 81.2 Rating

386/633 (60.9%), 4329 yards, 6.8 yards per attempt, 19 TD, 18 INT, 79.6 Rating
          I could do the same thing and take out their 2 worse games.

382/607 (63%), 4659 yards, 7.7 yards per attempt, 26 TD, 12 INT, 92.3 QB rating

345/544 (63%), 3674 yards, 6.7 yards per attempt, 24 TD, 9 INT, 90.8 QB Rating

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            Also two of Brady's best games have been in the Super Bowl, not divisional playoff games against the Broncos and Chiefs defenses.
            Brady's two best postseason games are the Super Bowl against Carolina (9th in passing yards allowed that year) and 2007 against the Jagas (15th) while Manning's game in 2003 and 2004 against the Broncos (6th both years).

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              I'm more curious to know how the following guys will shape up in the coming years:

Matt Ryan
              Joe Flacco
              Chad Henne
              Sam Bradford
              Mark Sanchez
              Matt Stafford

Flacco is a more mobile, less douchebag version of Ben, Matt Ryan is almost identical to Eli so far, its scary how similar they are. Henne is slept on, he's like a poor man's Flacco, Stafford is like Cutler.

I can't think of any analogies for Sanchez and Bradford yet.

I am curious to see how those guys pan out and how they rank out in the coming years.

Jaws is on Flaccos nuts in this article http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...-could-be-mvp/

saying he is a legit MVP candidate and

"“Outside the numbers, I’m not sure there was a better quarterback in the league last year than Joe Flacco,” said Jaworski

That doesnt even make sense but it sounds good.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                Meh, just because he's unconventional doesn't mean he's not good. That's what made Roger Staubach one of the most dangerous quarterbacks of all time. Had he not spent what would have been the first four years of his career in Vietnam, he'd probably be ranked right up there with Montana and Unitas.
                I said he was a top 10 QB, which is still very good. I just don't think he comes close to guys like Rivers, Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc. He's not a gimmick, but at the end of the day I feel like his lack of intelligence and ability to make the reads elite QB's separate him from the cream of the crop.

Nor do I think he comes anywhere close to Roger Staubach.
                (shameless self-promotion)
                Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• My name is APS, and I support the pro Tom Brady argument.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Most overrated QB:
                    Most underrated QB:
                    QB that has the brightest future:
                    Young QB that will turn into a David Carr-like bust:

?

Comment

• Most overrated QB: Peyton Manning
                      Most underrated QB: Evidently, it's Drew Brees
                      QB with the brightest future: Matthew Stafford
                      Young QB that will turn into a David Carr-like bust:Mark Sanchez

Comment

• 1. Tom Brady, New England
                        - I don't care what anyone says. He is the epitome of what you want in a QB. 3 Super Bowl rings in 4 Super Bowl appearances. He holds the single season TD record and has been über-productive ever since he had a legit #1 WR. He is Joe Montana of the 21st century. He just has a stronger arm. Simply the best QB of all-time. The guy is going to come back from his injury and regain the #1 QB status most gave him when he threw for 50 TDs.

2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay
                        - Most probably think this too high, but at this point in time, there are few QBs in the NFL that can move the ball down the field as well as him. An improving arm, incredible accuracy and Rodgers is now starting to show the ability to simply be unconscious in 4th QT and close game situations, I think the sky is the limit. I think his potential is so unreal that we are just starting to see the tip of the iceberg. He will win at least one Super Bowl in the near future.

3. Drew Brees, New Orleans
                        - With his Super Bowl win over Peyton Manning, I think Brees jumped ahead of the best regular season QB of all-time. Brees is simply amazing and makes some of the most ridiculous reads of any QB in the NFL. Great production and makes a no-name cast of receivers into highly productive players.

4. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
                        - If we were just talking about regular season, then Peyton is #1 and there is no doubt about it. If I'm ignoring the future then he's surely ahead of Aaron Rodgers. The most cerebral QB in the NFL, but has consistently had early exits in the playoffs. Most pass the buck off to the Colts defense and whatnot, but Manning has been less than spectacular in the biggest games. For his rather pedestrian playoff record, he drops a little on my rankings. Should not be an insult, the guy is one of the all-time greats. These top 4 QBs play the position as well as it can be played.

5. Philip Rivers, San Diego
                        - Rivers is an incredible leader with tons of heart and emotion. Injuries to himself and his best players around him in the biggest games have made things much harder for him. With that said, the guy is one of the best QBs in the post season and in late game situations. Extremely productive. One of the best young talents at the position.

6. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
                        - Could probably be higher on this list, but he's going to miss half the season because he can't keep his ***** out of drunk college girls. The guy is a two-time Super Bowl champion and played out of his mind in his second Super Bowl win. People tend to forget that the game winning TD against Arizona was one of the greatest drives in the history of the game (by far the best I've seen in Pro Football). Big Ben is the only QB in the NFL that can do what he does. An unreal talent, but he has a lot of complications off the field that have negatively effected his performance on the field. He needs to grow up. He should be in the top 5. If he stays out of trouble, then he'll bounce back just fine.

7. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
                        - The excuses are over. Romo now has an emerging #1 WR with a potential great young WR in Dez Bryant. They have one of the best front 7s on defense in all of football. Romo just has to finish a season strong and play better late in the season/post season. Makes plays happen out of nothing and is similar to Big Ben in that regard. Elite QB production. The best days may be ahead of him. Tends to get bashed a little too much, but he plays for the most overrated team in the NFL.

At this point in time, those are the 7 elite QBs in the NFL.

Brett Favre, Minnesota Vikings
                        - Favre is coming off his best season of his career, and that is saying something. With that said, his ankle injury is not a joke and it is greatly hampering his mobility in the pocket. I think the Vikings are going to be for a rude awakening and I don't think Favre makes it through the entire season without injury. One of the great QBs in the game, but it really is time to call it quits. I think that will be realized with a poor, injury plagued season.

I think Matthew Stafford is quickly going to be a big part that aids in turning the Lions franchise around. I think by the end of his third season, he'll be in elite group, or on the cusp. One of my favorite QBs prospects of all-time.
                        Last edited by BigBanger; 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM.
                        Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                        Originally posted by GoRavens
                        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Most overrated QB: Ben Roethlisberger - I have seen him ranked in the top 5 and that is just crazy. I am definitely taking Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, and Brady over him and Romo and Favre are maybes as well.

Honorable mention: Matt Schaub

Most underrated QB: Matt Hasselbeck (healthy) - The past two years he has been playing injured and has played poorly because of it. If he is actually fully healthy he is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Honorable Mention: Kyle Orton

QB that has the brightest future: Joe Flacco - I have liked what I have seen from him a lot and the Ravens are building a scary good offense around him

Honorable Mention: Josh Freeman

Young QB that will turn into a David Carr-like bust: Mark Sanchez

Comment

• Looks like Josh Freeman sucks and will be a bust. Oh well guess we can get Jake Locker next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                              Most overrated QB: Peyton Manning
                              Most underrated QB: Evidently, it's Drew Brees
                              QB with the brightest future: Matthew Stafford
                              Young QB that will turn into a David Carr-like bust:Mark Sanchez
                              Drew Brees is not underrated every one is more then aware how good he is, just because some might not have him #1 doesn't make him underrated he is in every sane persons top 2 or 3.

Comment

• Overrated: Big Ben
                                Underrated: Matt Shaub
                                Brightest Future: Stafford
                                Bust: Freeman/Sanchez

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                                Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information