Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vernon Gholston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vernon Gholston

    I couldv'e just put this in the Jets thread, but I wanted a bigger discussion. Is he just a bust now? Just another way the OSU program sucks ass lol? I haven't followed him or the jets at all so can someone fill me in?

  • #2
    He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.

    Comment


    • #3
      Rex Ryan loves him at least, he is now a 3-4 end instead of OLB.

      Comment


      • #4
        At his size he's an end?..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
          He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.
          I for one would like to at least see him try it before I give up on him completely, that said it's hard not to throw out the B-word.

          Comment


          • #6
            I didn't even notice him playing in preseason.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
              Rex Ryan loves him at least, he is now a 3-4 end instead of OLB.
              Not really. He's just trying to get something out of the teams investment.

              For what it's worth, he actually has been playing decently this preseason and training camp. Not like a 1st rounder or anything, but like someone who would at least make the team as depth, instead of just being handed a spot because he was a first rounder.

              I don't expect much out of him. Definitely a bust as a first round pick. We could have gotten average D-line help in the 5th, so I'm saying he would have been an ok 5th rounder.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.
                I'm sure Rex Ryan has tried it. This guy is a coach who really puts his defensive players in positions to make plays and helps them play to their ability. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you, well you are a bust.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If Greg Hardy keeps up his preseason performance the rest of the season he will be the anti-Gholston.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    I didn't even notice him playing in preseason.
                    well then you havent been watching the games or Hard Knocks. hes had his best preseason so far and hes back to playing his natural position. i believe he had 5 tackles against the panthers. anyways this is a good read about it:

                    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/sp...ll/29jets.html

                    also he volunteered to take a paycut this offseason so he could have another shot with the team. he seems like a good guy who is just really struggling to adjust
                    Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                      I'm sure Rex Ryan has tried it. This guy is a coach who really puts his defensive players in positions to make plays and helps them play to their ability. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you, well you are a bust.
                      I like strong, concise, clear statements like that.
                      How is Gholston big enough to play DE now? Has he bulked up a lot?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cue the guy who insist he needs to go to NO to play DE and become a pro bowler.



                        I really don't think any defense will make a difference, he just sucks and isn't very physical at all as well as being extremely stiff. I remember all the Orakpo-Gholston comparisons last off-season because they both had big muscles and were athletic freaks, made sense to alot of people.





                        Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          He just strikes me as a guy without the necessary desire to be great. Rex Ryan had an offensive lineman start a fight with him to at least get some reaction from him and get the fire burning. That really shouldn't be necessary. The guy has tons of talent but I just don't see him even becoming a contributing role player


                          BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                            He just strikes me as a guy without the necessary desire to be great. Rex Ryan had an offensive lineman start a fight with him to at least get some reaction from him and get the fire burning. That really shouldn't be necessary. The guy has tons of talent but I just don't see him even becoming a contributing role player
                            I agree it shouldn't be necessary. If it works it will only work for a short period of time before he goes back to being complacent. I liked Gholston a lot at OSU so I want to see him succeed. But two seasons of poor or no production makes it hard to believe any of these reports about how this year is different. Didn't the Jets say the same stuff last year?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                              well then you havent been watching the games or Hard Knocks. hes had his best preseason so far and hes back to playing his natural position. i believe he had 5 tackles against the panthers. anyways this is a good read about it:

                              http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/sp...ll/29jets.html

                              also he volunteered to take a paycut this offseason so he could have another shot with the team. he seems like a good guy who is just really struggling to adjust
                              I watched the Jets/Skins preseason game, and I don't recall his name being called once.

                              Didn't Gholston start playing organized football as a junior or senior in HS??
                              His football IQ may not have been high enough for him to make the jump to the NFL.
                              4 or 5 years of organized football, including college, then to be drafted by the Jets as a high first rounder in a scheme you've never played, and really aren't that suited for to excel in, has gotta be difficult.

                              Still, I think Gholston may have some type of emotional or psychological issues holding him back on the football field.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information